Colorado

Welcome ColoradoPeeps! The general rule of thumb I use is 4 square feet of coop space per large fowl adult, 10 square feet of run space per large fowl adult. A little less will usually be okay as long as your chickens get along well. Mine do not spend many days inside the coop even in the coldest part of winter. I can count on one hand the number of days I didn't see them come out more than a few minutes for a drink of water. There have been a couple of long blizzards during which I put the heated waterer inside the coop to ensure all had sufficient water, but only a days or two at most, they make too much of a mess with it and they really want to be outside whenever possible. My large fowl coop is 4x8, they have a 10x14 foot run, and are permitted to free range almost every day for at least a few hours, up to most of the day if it's the weekend and I'm there to keep an eye on them. I currently have 10 birds in there, so I'm stretching it a little, but they all get along well, and 6 are pullets that are just approaching point of lay. I expect to reduce by a couple as winter approaches, especially if I see them starting to squabble. If they don't, and if all produce better than they are, then I may just leave well enough alone in case I lose a couple, which happens from time to time, whether reproductive issue, injury, predator, or illness.

If you have bantams the space requirements are, I don't know, a third less, possibly as little as half, depending on size and activity level as well as compatibility.

Hope this helped :)

Thanks for the quick response Judi and Maggiemo!

My friend lives in Florissant and has 100+ birds. I know he has Orpingtons, RIR, Leghorns, Wyandotte and a few others I can't remember the names of. Right now I am looking to convert an unused play set. The top section which I will definitely be using as coop is about 4x4. I was planning on using the space below (also 4x4) as the part of the run which would be covered; and then more run approx 4x8. The debate is whether or not to convert the bottom section of the play set into coop also making it double decker. I don't love that idea, but I have a husband who is only barely signing up for chickens
hmm.png
. Do you think its worth it to get the extra coop space. I think I could get another 4 birds right? I would probably need to convince him to build a little more run space too. I hate to go through all the effort and only get to keep 4-5 hens, which is about all that will fit based on the current plans....ugh! I have brain fry from all this "thinking" about chickens.

Hi there ColoradoPeeps.
welcome-byc.gif
and the thread.

What you stated is correct: "My understanding is the coop needs to be more spacious if your birds will be spending extended amount of time in there." Generally speaking you need about 2-4 square feet per bird for LF. In a small coop, closer to 4, in a large open coop, closer to 2. The reason being in a large coop there is more room to move around so the birds won't be all like "He/She's touching me!" Some birds will be closer to each other, but others will not, hence the smaller space per bird requirement.

The birds (for the most part) can go outside and wander around every day of the year. Of course you'll want to have some shelter outdoors for them like wind breaks and such. The only time you'd really want/need to keep them locked inside the coop would be during really bad weather... like sleet/ice storms and heavy snow storms. Hope this helps.

Oh, and it's "Coloradan"
wink.png

Hi there ColoradoPeeps.
welcome-byc.gif
and the thread.

What you stated is correct: "My understanding is the coop needs to be more spacious if your birds will be spending extended amount of time in there." Generally speaking you need about 2-4 square feet per bird for LF. In a small coop, closer to 4, in a large open coop, closer to 2. The reason being in a large coop there is more room to move around so the birds won't be all like "He/She's touching me!" Some birds will be closer to each other, but others will not, hence the smaller space per bird requirement.

The birds (for the most part) can go outside and wander around every day of the year. Of course you'll want to have some shelter outdoors for them like wind breaks and such. The only time you'd really want/need to keep them locked inside the coop would be during really bad weather... like sleet/ice storms and heavy snow storms. Hope this helps.

Oh, and it's "Coloradan"
wink.png
Very Helpful...and thanks for the grammar correction! I knew it didn't sound right
hu.gif

Welcome ColoradoPeeps! Exactly what everyone said, but to simplify, build it as big as possible while you have the help/ money. Your chicken plans will morph into something bigger than what you are currently planning on right now. (90% chance) The extra space can be used for storage of chick equipment/ feed, etc. My 4x4 playhouse chicken structure is now a crowded home of 7x 11, tall enough to stand in, log cabin. I have 24 meaties + 28 various chickens of all ages and includes 2 roos in the space for the summer. The numbers will drop for the winter to about 20-25 depending on ?stuff. Have fun!

Welcome ColoradoPeeps! Exactly what everyone said, but to simplify, build it as big as possible while you have the help/ money. Your chicken plans will morph into something bigger than what you are currently planning on right now. (90% chance) The extra space can be used for storage of chick equipment/ feed, etc. My 4x4 playhouse chicken structure is now a crowded home of 7x 11, tall enough to stand in, log cabin. I have 24 meaties + 28 various chickens of all ages and includes 2 roos in the space for the summer. The numbers will drop for the winter to about 20-25 depending on ?stuff. Have fun!

Agree, build as big as you can! We had a 4x4 coop that 7 hens were very comfortable in. We went up to 20 at one point with a bunch of pullets in that same coop and they were still all fine (it had roosts all around inside so they had more than enough room). I never saw a day the girls stayed inside. I hung a heat lamp in the run for them over the water, and put up snow/wind breaks so their run was pretty dry and the area by their water was warmer (about 3deg). Even when it dropped to negative temps, they still came out. They didn't move around much but they didn't hang out in the coop. I think if you have a large run (our's was ~100sqft plus access to 200+ more in nice weather) you can do ok with a smaller coop. I like at least 10sqft of outside space for each hen, but that's just me. I like to see them have lots of room. :)

There are a few considerations.  First and foremost select for vigor - the robustly healthy chicken.  Second, keep the one(s) you really enjoy living with - there is simply no pleasure in keeping a chicken you just don't like.  Third, if there are still choices to be made, consider how each affects flock dynamics.  If one is easygoing and another is constantly picking fights, or if one is always calling the girls over for treats and watching the sky while the other does neither of those things, the first is the leader and the flock protector and that is the one you want to keep, assuming he is healthy and pleasant to live with.

Above all, I strongly recommend that no one should keep a chicken that has ever attacked a human of any size.  Those are genes you want to remove from the pool.
Hey Sorry somehow I overlooked your response to my rooster situation. This week things have been smooth sailing between all three, I think free range time has settled them down for now. Anyway, yes you point out all behaviors that I am observing for.

I am chiming in with what Judy said. 

I sat out many a morning just watching my chickens to see who was the one that would call the hens when there was a treat. Who would run everyone else off!!
I have too many roo's & need to cull ...my Dominique roos are beautiful and have not been aggressive at all..but just have too many!
My flock is in a large open pen & one roo is all I need.   Love that Buff one..but sure do not need to add a roo to the flock..
100% agree if a chicken or roo has shown any aggressive tendencies...gone..stew pot material!!
Pick your favorite..then observe to make sure it has the personality of a leader...calling the hens..watching over the hens & not aggressive to smaller chicks is a huge one.
I had a roo that would go after chicks like they were his favorite lunch a munch treat!!
Good luck in choosing!!
:cd
thanks for the input as well,of course I agree with you. The buffs seem to get along like brothers so that is a plus. The other day they were calling back and forth with their warning signals. One was in the run and the other out with some girls free ranging. The red, Big Rojo is huge already, he is sort of scary looking right now lacking all his tail plumage yet, definitely dinosaur looking with big waddles already and a protruding comb!

Anway, he wants nothing to do with myself or my bf and can hardly be caught already, so that might be the deciding factor, now catching him might be a whole other matter!

Hey Sorry somehow I overlooked your response to my rooster situation. This week things have been smooth sailing between all three, I think free range time has settled them down for now. Anyway, yes you point out all behaviors that I am observing for.
thanks for the input as well,of course I agree with you. The buffs seem to get along like brothers so that is a plus. The other day they were calling back and forth with their warning signals. One was in the run and the other out with some girls free ranging. The red, Big Rojo is huge already, he is sort of scary looking right now lacking all his tail plumage yet, definitely dinosaur looking with big waddles already and a protruding comb!

Anway, he wants nothing to do with myself or my bf and can hardly be caught already, so that might be the deciding factor, now catching him might be a whole other matter!

Think fishing net. One with the long handle. Either that or wait until they all go in for the night and then pluck him off his roosting perch. Simple, Dinner is served.

Back
Top Bottom