Colorado

It looks like my hatch is done. 15 out of 20 hatched. Only two of my olive eggers hatched though. I had put four in. So 50% from her. She is a bit young however. She has only laid about 20 eggs. I am going to collect some more of them and hatch some more. I have one fat little chick that is a cross between my americauna and my brahma. Its a big chick. Sure is cute though. Every one of the chicks has feathered feet. I definaty assume that featherd feet are dominant.
Yay for a 75% hatch rate!
I have a brahma cross with a rumpless americauna from PC. She is really big too, and rumpless with feathered legs! She is about 9 weeks old now. I should get a picture....

They are asking 20 bucks for 6 eggs and 30 for a dozen. I know there is NO way she could ever sit on a dozen. I think 3 would be a safer number for her to sit on. She is VERY small even for a cochin bantam. Kinda pricey for the eggs but not for the breed they are. They are advertised as greenfire line. :confused: I should probably just try and get her some chicks instead. I do not think she would abandon them given how doggedly she sits but there is always that chance. If I try and give her chicks and she does not take them I will be able to raise them so no worries there. Maybe only 2 chicks for her since she is so tiny. This is her standing on a 2x4 roost with a Silver Laced cochin bantam in front of her.
I sold Cream eggs for $3 a piece to BYC members and got 5 a piece from Craigslist. Let me add, Cream hens are fairly nice friendly birds, every Cream roo I had, was pure meanness. Never had one that didn't attack my kids. The good thing, you know them right away, and can cull them, if you were looking for just hens.

Last edited:
Uzi- Love the Mohawks! And I would say to wait for them to be a few months before you guess gender on boys. I had a cuckoo marans that looked 100% boy until she was about four months old. She had it all; tree trunk legs, huge comb, noticeably bigger than her siblings, a vertical stance, everything. She laid a very nice dark brown egg.

I spent my day cruising job ads again. I found a good one with Waste Management. I am waiting on responses. I think I need to work on my patience. I just really want to get back into a house again. Even if I can't have chickens, I can't stand apartments.

caf.gif

So, a Cream Legbar kept shoving my broody off her eggs, and after four days we finally thought, maybe she's broody? Which is extremely weird for a Cream, gave her four eggs, and sure enough she's been on them for two days. Crazy chicken. The broody would just stand in the middle of the stall and scream, so we always knew when it was happening. The funny thing is anytime the broody went for a walk, this Cream would babysit the eggs, so they never really had any uncovered time. Today is hatch, we'll see what we get.

I am surprised that I missed it being a Cream Legbar that was shoving your broody off the eggs.

Good to know that the males are rather mean. (I can only have hens though)
It does let me know that the males would end up needing culled out.

I don't think the 20 dollars for 6 eggs is to much to pay given the breed. I would do it if that tiny hen could cover 6 eggs. I don't want to waste any hatching eggs.

I think DH is hoping to get some SS/BA eggs from Bob since he really liked that mean SS roo. He should be calling him tonight about it.
I just want the cochin to not be sad about me taking her eggs away. It was really pitiful the way she was grabbing them back. I could tell there was desperation in the act.

As to the bantams in with the large birds....
The only time I have ever had an issue was when I ended up with 6 total roosters and 4 of them decided to attack the Japanese Black tail rooster. The other one wanted nothing to do with the act. Once with the current flock a Wyandotte decided to attack the tiny cochin mentioned earlier in this thread (the BO let her know that is not allowed and plucked the Wyandotte nearly naked in less than 3 minutes). The hens have gotten along well other than the one incident.

samsr,

Congrats on all the hatchlings. Don't forget we need our chick pic fix.
big_smile.png

Uzi,

Super cool little mohawks on those two. I am thinking waiting to guess breed is a good idea too since the Seabright roo is one of the henfeathered breeds.
I am hopeful for a good hatch for you with the ones in lockdown.

Maggie,

Yes we need pictures. Rumpless with feathered legs sounds interesting.

Last edited:
So far my Cochin broody has four or five hatched, and I'm thinking there are more..she's flattened out pretty good on those 12 eggs, and may have gotten an extra or two from the girls jumping in there all the time. Two SFH have hatched already, which I'm amazed at, since they were so shook up. One of the SFH is beautiful, and I'm quite excited about it possibly being a Snow Leopard coloration. We're planning to take these chicks from the broody, she's just not a nice chicken and has already been aggressive with the chicks. Also, they're expensive chicks, and I have enough to worry about keeping them alive with Mareks in the barn. I'm babying the chicks in the barn, they get all kinds of protein and healthy stuff, just hoping to get them past the 6 month mark. I'm fermenting feed again too, just trying to help their bodies fight the environmental impact.

I am surprised that I missed it being a Cream Legbar that was shoving your broody off the eggs.

Good to know that the males are rather mean. (I can only have hens though)
It does let me know that the males would end up needing culled out.

I don't think the 20 dollars for 6 eggs is to much to pay given the breed. I would do it if that tiny hen could cover 6 eggs. I don't want to waste any hatching eggs.

Those boys aren't even worth growing out to eat, they're scrawny and don't put much meat on prior to crowing. Worst part about knowing males right away, you end up culling little chicks, it always made me sad. I made hubby do it. I don't hesitate when it's an older chicken, I have a terrible time dealing with tiny chick deaths though.

yuckyuck.gif
LS

I went out to clean the coop a bit ago and wanted to see just how many eggs the silly thing could cover. She had 10 out of 11 fully under her.
ep.gif

Her wings were spread out pretty far to do it but she sure gave it a go lol.

DH said that she should not be made to wait another 3 weeks for babies and I kind of agree. Last year she lost a lot of condition sitting so long. This year it could be even worse since she is almost 5 years old now.
I looked at Feeders Supply's ad and sadly they are not getting BA's in on Friday. Not really interested in the breeds they have listed but Barnevelder may be an option.
They do list a few rarer breeds but these are just to make little broody happy so it really wont matter to her I am sure.

Back
Top Bottom