Colorado

I wish I could share video here. He kept circling then sitting down then circling again like dogs when they're trying to get comfy. I had serious doubt as to how comfortable anyone could make that monster tumbleweed.

We've had some winds out our way, but they were more beneficial than not - I haven't had to break/melt out ice blocks from the various waterers I keep forgetting to bring in at night thanks to the winds. However, I'm really not looking forward to the bitter cold I feel like is just around the corner of this mild weather. I like being able to let the birds out to roam around but I have to stay out there and watch them since our neighbor has started letting her 2 huge dogs roam our property and harass all our animals. I would have rathered her soon to be ex husband had stayed in that house and she had moved out while trying to sell it. At least he was nice, considerate and didn't try to kill my family members on 4 separate occasions by driving down the middle of the road. Ah, well. Everyone's got their own battles they're fighting.

I have been sick since last Friday, so I'm really hoping I start to feel better so I can get the enclosed pen extension built this weekend. If I could just get that built, it might give me some confidence to try and build a flight pen. Also, it would relieve some stress off of me about my roosters not even attempting to come to a truce. I guess that's what I get for naming them after the characters I chose.

Im leaning towards murray mcmurray to order. I want to place it by early january to improve the odds of breed and ship dates. I want bourbon red and slates, delivered in early spring. I would much rather share an order with byc folk than try to place extras locally.if anyone has had good luck with another hatchery im open to suggestions.

I've ordered chicks from McMurray and they have been fine, no problems. I'm looking at standard bronze this year, about 10 of them. I'm in Chaffee County, so not too far from you. I grew up in Canon.

These boxes are quite nice, makes me wonder how many hens you have. It is cool that your July pullets are laying. Do you think you'll have eggs from them all winter long? I will be interested in hearing how things work out and about what works and what doesn't work. I have maybe 5 boxes in my old inherited coop, and my hens invariably lay in just one of othem. In another coop, all the hens lay their eggs in a single deck box, and in yet another coop, they lay them in an old large dog pet carrier. They seem to like straw and hay as nesting material. My Silkies lay and brood in the Dogloo that they sleep in. They all have their special ways of not doing what I planned. What breeds do you have?

We have over one hundred chickens in the bus with a very large run. We have a total of over 30 nest boxes we can phase in. As they begin to lay we wanted to train them on proper use of a nest box
1f60a.png
. So for now only the top boxes are open. We are getting about 2 dozen eggs a day at this point. Since these are for selling eggs, we use additional lighting on a timer. It lights from 4-7 pm and am to encourage laying through the winter.
We have 6 breeds in the bus. The Red Stars (from McMurray hatchery) are the first layers. We also have black stars, Delawares and Barred Rocks. McMurray threw in 2 Dominique which are both roosters. Very beautiful. We received a total of 6 roosters in our pullet order. We are trying to rehome a few of them. So if anyone is interested in adding a rooster, we have two Dominiques and one white and black EE.All are friendly. I can send pictures. PM me and we can talk price etc. We are looking for a home. We can cull them and eat them ourselves if that is what anyone might be thinking. Thanks for the kind post.

How about the wind?  We are rocking and rolling up here again.  Possible 100mph AGAIN!  
The chickens are getting used to it though........

Awful here in Berthoud, but nice most of yesterday and today, so far. Some of my coops suffered some damage, again. My birds seem to be fine with it. I should take some lessons from them.

We have over one hundred chickens in the bus with a very large run. We have a total of over 30 nest boxes we can phase in. As they begin to lay we wanted to train them on proper use of a nest box
1f60a.png
. So for now only the top boxes are open. We are getting about 2 dozen eggs a day at this point. Since these are for selling eggs, we use additional lighting on a timer. It lights from 4-7 pm and am to encourage laying through the winter.
We have 6 breeds in the bus. The Red Stars (from McMurray hatchery) are the first layers. We also have black stars, Delawares and Barred Rocks. McMurray threw in 2 Dominique which are both roosters. Very beautiful. We received a total of 6 roosters in our pullet order. We are trying to rehome a few of them. So if anyone is interested in adding a rooster, we have two Dominiques and one white and black EE.All are friendly. I can send pictures. PM me and we can talk price etc. We are looking for a home. We can cull them and eat them ourselves if that is what anyone might be thinking. Thanks for the kind post.

Wow, that is a lot of layers to manage. And the bus is such an excellent repurpose; I imagine that it is a permanent coop, given that you have a large run. I really like what I could see of how you set it up. I would gladly foster a Dominique roo, but I already have so many roosters, my yard looks like a Rooster farm. I rescued a Dominique a couple of years ago, only to discover he was an "attack" rooster, homicidal even. Of all your hens, which do you deem the best layers? I am trying to breed a halfway decent line of Speckled Sussex. Don't think they're up to SOP, but I am surprised at how well they lay; the 3 year olds, are STILL laying, unless of course someone is hopping the fence and using their nest box. Hope you can find homes for your Roosters: it seems such a waste to have to eat a friendly one.

Back
Top Bottom