Colorado

Still snowing here. The snow is above my boots in the middle of the yard (not the drifts those are more). That means we got at least 10 inches in my yard. Not sure where the weathermen take the measurements from but 3 to 6 is a joke.

LS if you want to come get some snow I have extra.
lau.gif

mine are already older, I did see someone in Erie selling, she is getting hatchery eggs and hatches them all summer, was this way last year.
you can get EE almost at any feed store these days, looks like they are getting shipped every week. Someone in Fountan has very pretty americanas.
my EE are already outside in insulated coop with heat lamp.
I'll have some pullets later when I decide who I keep and who is extra, 2-3 extras already spoken for.
I re-populated. Getting more from Jax today because they are getting breed I wanted.Talked to farm owners where they source from... I did not get that bree from Elizabeth, it was sourced from privet hatchery...
All hatcheries/farms are npip but there is no one in CO with mg/ms program except of 2 large commercial ones who sell to egg--meat producers and not to general public/stores, There is also not a single npip farm in CO with successful mg/ms program, no one did make it so far. So I guess I'm taking my chances with store bought birds and hope for the best luck from not getting it from wild life or feed store etc with closed flock and bio security.

Shot of dinner last night, pulled pork sandwiches, slaw and I made an duck egg custard (paleo)

Had to post this, there are 13 eggs we got from 14 girls the other day. This means that two of my BF mom's birds are laying. They are 3+ years and hadn't laid in months.....they are happy with their new family and chicken routine and here they were slated for processing.

Last edited:
I no longer have my imoji tool bar in the editor :( I have no idea where it went. I also am having other issues like I can't read any thumbs up comments. Anyway, I have about 8" of snow on the ground here and still snowing. I noticed before I went to bed around 1am that they upgraded from winter storm advisory back to winter storm warning with heavy snow forecast. But I think they moved the warning further south, below Denver. No matter, just glad we're getting some moisture. Take care all, drive safe.

Oh, meant to say that meal looks awesome COChix (drooling imoji here) nice looking group of eggs too.

Last edited:
Greetings cochick1, glad you joined us here on the Colorado thread. Welcome to BYC.

Folks here who've ordered have done so from a large selection of places. A lot of folks also get their chicks from local feed stores. Then there are others who hatch eggs... theirs or others they've ordered/bought. Mostly it depends on what you're looking for. some breeds can only be acquired in one particular way or another.

If you buy day olds from a hatchery, they'll typically be 3-4 days old when you get them. If you buy from a feed store or other store that sells chicks, they were 3-4 days old when the store got them so they could be 3 days old or over a week, depending on how quickly they sell out.

What are you looking to buy?

@cochick1Bought our original flock 2014 from Meyer Hatchery, received 29 fuzzy butts a couple days old. Our life has never been the same, in a good way. Last year we hatched from that original flock and this year we bought hatching eggs to change up the breeding stock.

Last edited:
@Latestarter I too have some random issues with BYC my multi quote button disappears and the emoji. Often a refresh does the trick, sometimes I have to delete my cookies.

Back
Top Bottom