Colorado

Here are some shots of our six week olds, fully integrated with the adult flock and thriving.

Here is what I found tonight at bedtime, they are practicing roosting. Figured I would go back later and see where the ended up, as roosting time in our coop is fairly brutal at bedtime. My guess was they would be on the floor.

Sure enough they ended up right where their brooder use to be....maybe tomorrow night they will be brave and stay on the roosts.

@Cochix Wow! You had them outside in a brooder next to the adult flock, right? I'm trying to get an outside pen set up for mine (because 5 in 1 inside brooder is a little crowded right now - I was not expecting this many to hatch), but I don't have the ability to provide them with a heater outside. It would be nice to get them outside during the day, at least. When it's not cold & rainy. :)

I think I have 2 males (1 of the Ayam Cemani & the Phoenix bantam). I'm about 99% sure the Phoenix is a male because it is gigantic & the comb has already started to get big. The 1 AC also has a decent comb growing in while the other 2 ACs don't have anything growing up/out in the comb area. The little Cheeto puff looks like it's going to have a V comb of some kind, but I still haven't figured out male/female yet for it.

Nbr 2 - Ayam Cemani

Nbr 1 - Ayam Cemani

Nbr 4 - Ayam Cemani

Nbr 3 - Phoenix Bantam

Nbr 5 - Cheeto Puff

Hi, I'm really interested in getting started raising chickens. I can't find anything specific about the laws here. I live in Parker. Does anyone know the laws/restrictions that apply to Parker, or where I can find them? Thank you!

@Cochix Wow! You had them outside in a brooder next to the adult flock, right? I'm trying to get an outside pen set up for mine (because 5 in 1 inside brooder is a little crowded right now - I was not expecting this many to hatch), but I don't have the ability to provide them with a heater outside. It would be nice to get them outside during the day, at least. When it's not cold & rainy. :)

Yes outside by day 4-5 in a dog kennel in the uncovered run (too wet with the snow) so moved them into the coop. Portioned off an area for the babies in the coop and then gave them a chick size opening to access the run. Did this for a couple weeks and then removed thenbrooder set up. Do you have any electricity running to the coop or can you run an extension chord? If so you could set up a heat pad brooder. How old are the babies, and they are not fully feathered right?

Integration went fast with this group, by day 5 of being outside they had escaped their brooder set up and into the adult run. We didn't have any issues so after I moved them into the coop, I blocked their door for a few days to show them their new home. Then unblocked the door and allowed them to integrate themselves. Worked like a charm with these chicks. Super smart group.

Last edited:
Yes outside by day 4-5 in a dog kennel in the uncovered run (too wet with the snow) so moved them into the coop. Portioned off an area for the babies in the coop and then gave them a chick size opening to access the run. Did this for a couple weeks and then removed thenbrooder set up. Do you have any electricity running to the coop or can you run an extension chord? If so you could set up a heat pad brooder. How old are the babies, and they are not fully feathered right?

Integration went fast with this group, by day 5 of being outside they had escaped their brooder set up and into the adult run. We didn't have any issues so after I moved them into the coop, I blocked their door for a few days to show them their new home. Then unblocked the door and allowed them to integrate themselves. Worked like a charm with these chicks. Super smart group.

The first 4 are a few days short of a month old & the youngest is 18 days. None are fully feathered & I don't have a power source near the pen I have set up for them. I don't want to put them too close to my main flock because I can't tell which way the peafowl are taking them yet. They are extremely interested in them, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't turn on them if the chicks got loose in the main pen. They haven't been aggressive towards them yet, but they weren't aggressive toward my Polish hens last year & this year their favourite game is Chase the Polish Girls. I would have liked to do what you did so integration would be easier.

I think I might have 2 cockerels in this bunch. I'm trying to get myself out of denial & just admit that the Phoenix is male & not a big female & I've got suspicions about the chick in the 2nd pic below. The little black mohawk on the last one cracks me up. I'm pretty proud with how far the shrink wrapped chick has come (3rd pic). Didn't expect that 1 to make it this far.

Back
Top Bottom