Colorado

I hope I dontvhave to put up with that. Is it going to be hard to train the chickens to get food out. Have you researched how to get them to eat from it

Yes, you can either prop the lever open for them to learn to stand on platform, step on the lever mechanism a couple times a day until they get it. There is a video that comes with the product that shows you how to train. We have a rooster that I am sure will show them the ropes, he is great.

Not rat but I have had a serious field mouse problem this spring that is driving me nuts. The peahens have only killed a couple at most & I'm trying to figure out the best way to try to trap them all without the birds getting into them. I would love to hear what you think of this feeder because I wasn't sure which brand to go with to try to slow my pest issues.

I will let you know how it goes.

We do not plan on propping open the feeder as we don't want all our feed to be eaten, we will be showing them a couple times a day, until one gets brave enough to stand on the platform. Once one does it, I guess it's pretty much a done deal from there. We will also be setting up the water bucket rat traps when we make the switch. My understanding is once you starve the rats they can turn on the birds. Luckily all of our roosts are up high that I believe the rats can't be chewing on their tail feathers or feet.

Last edited:
I have MICE. All over. Brooders and chicken feed in the house draw them like flies to a cadaver. I wish I had snakes. I use the water traps and try to set my feeders up so the mice can't get in them, but it's an on-going struggle.

Sorry for the late response, I have been out of touch. My guess is white leghorn??

I have a problem with vole not rats. Never had them until last summer.

I have a serious broody problem. I'm up to 4. I have 2 batches ready to hatch this weekend and the eggs that were added and are developing are staggered so I'll keep the other two to finish those eggs.

There's a big yellow thing up in the sky!! and it's "WARM" again... or at least it feels that way! I know it was only rainy for a couple of days, but it seems it's been "gray" for the better part of a week... Not complaining too much, the water is always welcome!

I texted my husband this morning (he's on a business trip) "what's that big ball of fire in the sky?" So nice to have a warmer, sunny spring day.

The chickens were happy to finally get out for a bit! Bindi (the dog) felt the need to mediate.

Despite the rain, i managed to pick up the coop! Now it just needs to get in the yard...lol

Is that from Rocky Mountain Storage sheds? I am going to pick up my coop from them this week, which is good considering I have almost 10 week old pullets living in a dog kennel right now.

There's a big yellow thing up in the sky!! and it's "WARM" again... or at least it feels that way! I know it was only rainy for a couple of days, but it seems it's been "gray" for the better part of a week... Not complaining too much, the water is always welcome!

I hear it's suppose to be a balmy 80 degree's this weekend. :weee

I have to grab some pictures of the babies, it seems in the last three days they have had a large growth spurt!

Is that from Rocky Mountain Storage sheds? I am going to pick up my coop from them this week, which is good considering I have almost 10 week old pullets living in a dog kennel right now.

It totally is! I really needed something sturdy enough to survive the winds out here and this fit the bill (not enough building skills myself, ha). Love it so far although haven't put chickens in it yet lol. Just in time too as my 8 week old pullets are huge and in the garage. What kind did you get??

Back
Top Bottom