Colorado

I have a bit of a problem coming up here and I need some advice. One of my chickens is unexpectedly a rooster, which I can't keep. I wish I could! He is so handsome and sweet with the hens. I have had no luck re-homing him. No bites on Craigslist, on here or social media. Wardles aren't taking any roosters right now, and honestly, will they just give them to someone who wants a free dinner? I don't want that, either. I'm a sentimental old biddy!
http://roostersanctuary.org/contact-us/

Danzig's Roost is the first sanctuary that came up in the first 4 links on a google search. They might be worth contacting as they seem to make it pretty clear they aren't collecting roosters for slaughter.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just checked them out and they want you to relinquish your entire flock with the rooster. Sorry.

Last edited:
Regarding the accidental roosters.....

I know it comes late in the game as one cannot fully plan on an accidental rooster.

Northern Colorado Feeder Supply does take roosters back IF the chicks were bought from them and IF they have room.

I know in the future that is where I will be buying chicks. I too have had the accidental roosters and no real place to take them.

One ended up as dinner for humans and the other for coyotes. Both made me heartsick.

I quickly got tired if the surprise rooster.

Now I maintain birds that are easily sexed as chicks...I like how it limits the appearance of the surprise rooster.
Yep. I'm going for sex links from now on, or buying pullets. I'm heartsick. My roo is so sweet (now) and getting more handsome by the day. He's good with the others. *Sigh*

I'm from Colorado too & just got chickens. We do have cold weather & am going to use a heat lamp in the winter but, I am very concerned about the little one that is going to get no bigger than 2 pds, A Black Frizzle Cochin Bantum, I am on the Western Slope, 1 hour down Valley from Aspen & has been known to have a lot of - degree weather in the winter. Do you think I should bring her in for the winters?

My home is now under contract. Est close 9/22. 8 offers submitted. all above listing price. Final accepted was 35K over list. I'm happy, and happy the people who got it, got it. Off to TX tonight to look at 2 properties tomorrow as a replacement for this one. Wish me luck :fl

Wow, that is such good news. I am so impressed. I DO wish you luck.

Yep. I'm going for sex links from now on, or buying pullets. I'm heartsick.  My roo is so sweet (now) and getting more handsome by the day.  He's good with the others. *Sigh*

My last surprise Rooster was named Pecker...he had his good points and was working on some bad points.

It's hard to let them go when we get attached to them.

So..."Here's to auto-sexing birds and no surprises." Well...no bad surprises anyway.

Last edited:
I'm from Colorado too & just got chickens. We do have cold weather & am going to use a heat lamp in the winter but, I am very concerned about the little one that is going to get no bigger than 2 pds, A Black Frizzle Cochin Bantum, I am on the Western Slope, 1 hour down Valley from Aspen & has been known to have a lot of - degree weather in the winter. Do you think I should bring her in for the winters?

First!
welcome-byc.gif

Second......
Once you are on here for a while you will find most people are adamant about NOT heating a coop for a lot of reasons. First the birds are not properly acclimated to the weather (growing a winter coat) if heat is supplied. Second heat lamps can cause serious fires as adult birds tend to knock them about. Third a roosting bird is basically comatose and can end up sitting to close to the lamp causing horrible burns on the bird. Fourth so long as a coop is well designed to have proper ventilation the heat literally goes out the window. Keeping a coop dry, draft free and well ventilated are the keys to making it through a winter without issues.

My hubby did not want the birds to be to cold so he put a sealed oil heater in the coop to make a warm up zone. What I found is that NONE of my birds bantam or large wanted anywhere near the heater. It was not like it was HOT it was only about 5 degrees warmer and only right next to the heater. I took it out and they resumed using that end of the coop.

I have bantam cochins as well (not frizzled but normal feathered) and mine have made it with no issue through many a winter with no added heat.

This is a pic of Itty Bitty the forever broody with her adopted chicks. She is 5 or 6 years old now.

She is by far the smallest chicken I have. When she stretches she is about 9 inches from toe to top of the comb.

Of course we all will want to know how big your coop is and what other breeds of chickens you have and how many and a million other things.
big_smile.png

I would echo @21hens-incharge. My oldest rooster is a 2lbs Sebright. He's made it through 2 winters with me out near the eastern plains without supplemental heating. My smallest chicken is a d'Anvers who is about a pound, maybe a little less, and the same goes for her. The only issues I've had are not enough ventilation causing frostbite on the birds with larger combs. It took me a long while to get used to the idea of a coop not being sealed up & heated during the winter like I would imagine you'd have to do for a dog. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom