Colorado

Wow lovely silkies ladies. I will also be at the brighton swap on the 10th and look forward to seeing your birds. I have roos mostly to take to that one. Pullets at the earhdog swap do better.

The Rocky Mountain Feather Fanciers
& the Elbert County 4‐H Poultry Program
are Co‐hosting the 2nd Annual
One Best Bird Poultry Show &
Youth Poultry Showmanship Competition.
Sunday July 17th, Elbert County Fairgrounds
Along with the One Bird Show & Showmanship Competition, there will also be 1:1 showmanship training/clinic for brand new and seasoned youth exhibitors. This will be a terrific opportunity for kids to learn how to take part in Poultry Showmanship at their county fairs, and get their feet wet prior to fair. This is also a chance for the seasoned showman to brush up on their showmanship skills. Prizes will be awarded for the best Youth and Adult birds in the One Bird show, and certificates & ribbons for all age groups in the showmanship competition. There will also be seminars on Bird Bathing and Show Prep, Poultry Parasite and Nutrition, as well as a special presentation titled “Poultry Secrets.”
(See the complete schedule on the reverse side)
Judge: Bruce Murdoch, Frederick, Colorado
Date: Saturday July 17th. Starts at 10am
Place: Elbert County Fairgrounds, Kiowa, Colorado.
Directions: Kiowa is located on Highway 86 just 7 miles East of Elizabeth, CO. If coming from I-25 go to Castle Rock and take highway 86 east approximately 23 miles to Kiowa. If you prefer to come through Parker take highway 83 (Also knows as Parker Road) south through Parker approximately 9 mikes to Franktown, and then head East on Hwy 86 16 miles to Kiowa. Once you get to Kiowa it’s simple, the town is very small and the fairgrounds are located on the North end of town. Either follow the signs to the Kiowa-Bennett Road, or take Ute road north to the fairgrounds entrance. Find your way to the West
Schedule of Events
Start Time ‐ 10am ‐ We will p Clinic
begin with a bird Bathing and Show Pre your bird from the coop to the show cag
of Show! 11am – After the show prep clinic Sarah Millonig from CSU and the Colorado Avian Disease Surveillanc
the presentation folks from CSU will be available 1:1 to discuss potential State required poultry testing for bird owners, or answer any questions you may have pertaining to bird testing and poultry health in general. 12noon – Pot Luck Lunch – please bring a dish to share, and your own beverages. Raffle ‐ As a fund raiser to help offset
Please bring any items you would like to donate and a few extra bucks in your pock
ticks for all the wonderful treasures you just can’t go home without! 1pm – The judging will start for the “One Bird Show”. Bring your one very best bird to enter in the show, the cost for entering the show is $1 per person. A show
for birds entered in the “One Bird Show”. Exhibitors are responsible for feeding and watering their own birds. Prizes will be awarded for the Champion & Reserve bird shown by a youth exhibitor, as well as prizes for adult exhibitors wanting to show their birds Immediately following the “One Bird” judging, American Poultry Association licensed Judge Bruce Murdoch from Frederick Colorado will be delivering his “Poultry Secrets”
presentation. In his presentation Bruce shares a wealth of information on all aspects of exhibition poultry. Having attended this presentation it is very well suited and intended youth exhibitors of all ages, and adults are sure to gain from the experience as well. We highly encourage everyone to attend this seminar; it will be well worth your time. Following Bruce’s presentation we will hold a Poultry Showmanship competition. Throughout the day we will have seasoned showmanship participants teaching new
enthusiasts the techniques and tricks to successfully competing in a Poultry Showm competition. There is no charge for this competition. We will have 3 different judges working this competition, each handling a different age group. With 3 judges it shouldn’t take too long to finish up so folks can be on their way home by early afternoon. This event is also the perfect setting for youth exhibitors to bring their own birds for help with handling techniques, show readiness, as well as parasite check and breed id
prior to fair. There will be many seasoned exhibitors and breeders on site to assist new enthusiasts and youth members with their own birds. We look forward to seeing you there! Feel free to share this with anyone interested. ‐ the Rocky Mountain Feather Fanciers Club & Elber

Quote:
Ok..Because you're in Security, I am curious how that whole thing went down about them finally legalizing chickens...I am in Widefield, so I've had them for some time...I never saw a news story on it, only heard about the meeting some time ago..

That only effected the City of Fountain. Some people are working on getting the rules changed, but since I am not in city limits...
tongue.gif
to Fountain
big_smile.png

It was decent for getting fair sized roosters moved on and hens. I sold all but 8 small bantam cochin cockerels. It is every month on the first Saturday though not sure if it runs in winter. I just had to get some roos moved on, too much noise....not enough room to separate the boys or I would have waited to take all to the Brighton one.

Quote:

Can anyone tell me where to get bulk chicken feed in Colorado Springs/Fountain area? We are spending a fortune on feed and constantly run out, I would like to be able to get a larger amount at a good price.
~ Thanks in advance! ~

Kathy

I came home tonight to a crying wife and a flock that is missing and presumed dead....found feathers strewn about. Wife saw them in the coop around 730pm and figured she had some time before locking the girls up...but she came back out and found no birds.

Wife is heart broken...I certainly don't blame her. She says I always talk about them and have worked so hard to raise them and all she does is complain about them and she gets them killed... And she may be right but I don't blame her....

I don't normally cry over much...kids and puppies hurt are usually the only things that get to me... But I was...am so fond of my three chickens and it's hard to imagine that today was the last time I would see them. They had such great personalities and were such a blast. Tomorrow will tell us if they really are gone or not, but based on the evidence there isn't much hope.

I can't say for sure if I'll get more chickens or not...but heart and gut say no way right now...it's been a rough year with many personal losses and I can't imagine my chickens being counted among those losses but here I am...can't believe I'm grieving chickens but they were so special to me. I can't bear to see their coop so if anyone is looking for a very well built coop that will house up to six birds, email me.

Sleepless in Parker tonight...

Back
Top Bottom