Colorado

Hello all!!

New to this wonderful site, but it has already been an immense wealth of knowledge! I raised chickens back home in Iowa with my grandmother when I was little (Just for fun, no eggs or fried chicken) and we had ALL kinds! Like Murray McMurray hatchery exploded in our outbuildings! (which happens to be only a few hours from my hometown, so no shipping for those little guys, just drove out and picked em up.) We got some lovely little ducks from there as well. Since we had no pond, my grandmother filled an old cattle tank with water, put some water plants in, and a few 2x10s as a ramp, and we had happy ducks! We also had a farmer friend of my dad's drop off a really cute little Barred Rock chicken that we named Henrietta. Except it wasn't a hen, it was a demon Henry rooster that would chase us into the house as soon as we got off the school bus. He was wild, and always skulking in the shadows, waiting to pounce.

However, I now live in Colorado Springs proper, out by Garden of the Gods and Centennial. Our new-to-us house has fairly good sized yard with a garden and completely fenced yard. Here in the Springs we can't have roosters (which doesn't bother me much, I still think of Henry.) We can have up to 10 hens. I think 4-5 is a good number in my run of the mill subdivision plot.
My question is where should I think about building my coop? The house sits on the east side of the plot, with the yard on the west side. I have an over hanging deck, as my house is a split-level-1970's-trackhome-abomination. Should I put it under the deck, it would be more protected that way. Or would it smell too bad? On my farm back home everything smelled like hogs and cattle, so I can't be certain if the chickens actually smelled, but I remember cleaning the coop out once every two weeks or so... Or would it be better against a fence somewhere? Also, how big should it be for 4-5 chickens? What kind of chickens do well in our ridiculously hot summers and freezing winters?

Thanks everyone for being here!

Welcome from the Stetson Hills area! Legal requirement in the coop is 4 sq ft per bird so plan for your max number. Chickens are like chips, you always want more! And with placement, don't forget light! It's always good to have a window with a southern exposure to help encourage egg laying and to just brighten things up. :)

There are a lot of breeds that do well up here. EEs, Doms, RIR, and Australorps come to mind but there are other options too. What kind of personalities are you looking for? The curious ones that get into everything or the sweet ones that hop into your lap? Every chicken is different of course but different breeds do tend towards different patterns.

In regard to the Chicken swap I went in the summer and it was very fun, it was lively and lots of folks there. I myself picked up a carrier and a silkie (which didn't make it, but through no fault of the breeder). Lots of very nice folks there, I suspect it was because it was June :) I'm no thinking January would be the best time to go, but the market right there is awesome to pick up some things, like spices, coffee, feed, or honey. I would love to go again but will probably wait till Summer. Likely I'll go to the Stock Show this month.

Hello all!!

New to this wonderful site, but it has already been an immense wealth of knowledge! I raised chickens back home in Iowa with my grandmother when I was little (Just for fun, no eggs or fried chicken) and we had ALL kinds! Like Murray McMurray hatchery exploded in our outbuildings! (which happens to be only a few hours from my hometown, so no shipping for those little guys, just drove out and picked em up.) We got some lovely little ducks from there as well. Since we had no pond, my grandmother filled an old cattle tank with water, put some water plants in, and a few 2x10s as a ramp, and we had happy ducks! We also had a farmer friend of my dad's drop off a really cute little Barred Rock chicken that we named Henrietta. Except it wasn't a hen, it was a demon Henry rooster that would chase us into the house as soon as we got off the school bus. He was wild, and always skulking in the shadows, waiting to pounce.

However, I now live in Colorado Springs proper, out by Garden of the Gods and Centennial. Our new-to-us house has fairly good sized yard with a garden and completely fenced yard. Here in the Springs we can't have roosters (which doesn't bother me much, I still think of Henry.) We can have up to 10 hens. I think 4-5 is a good number in my run of the mill subdivision plot.
My question is where should I think about building my coop? The house sits on the east side of the plot, with the yard on the west side. I have an over hanging deck, as my house is a split-level-1970's-trackhome-abomination. Should I put it under the deck, it would be more protected that way. Or would it smell too bad? On my farm back home everything smelled like hogs and cattle, so I can't be certain if the chickens actually smelled, but I remember cleaning the coop out once every two weeks or so... Or would it be better against a fence somewhere? Also, how big should it be for 4-5 chickens? What kind of chickens do well in our ridiculously hot summers and freezing winters?

Thanks everyone for being here!
Hello, and welcome! Here is hoping you find just the right kind of chicken for your flock!

Thank you so much for everyone's quick replies! We live in the Holland Park subdivision, but we don't have to pay any HOA fees, and I definitely know there is no code enforcement, because some of my neighbors would have their houses covered in tickets. I'm looking for a few different types, nice calm chickens that don't need to roam too much, and don't try to eat each other. They have to able to stand the cold and the heat. I think putting the coop on our north and west corner of fence will give them plenty of sunshine while still being protected from the wind. I love the old world breeds! They remind me of the ones you see on vintage potholders!

Thank you so much for everyone's quick replies! We live in the Holland Park subdivision, but we don't have to pay any HOA fees, and I definitely know there is no code enforcement, because some of my neighbors would have their houses covered in tickets. I'm looking for a few different types, nice calm chickens that don't need to roam too much, and don't try to eat each other. They have to able to stand the cold and the heat. I think putting the coop on our north and west corner of fence will give them plenty of sunshine while still being protected from the wind. I love the old world breeds! They remind me of the ones you see on vintage potholders!
Welcome to BYS and the Colorado Thread!

Sounds like you are looking for Dominiques, I might be able to help......
lau.gif

Like was stated before, if you can have up to 10 hens, and you are required to have 4 sq feet per bird, build it at least 40 sq feet, or more. That way if you ever decide to get a few more, the building is already there, and you can't go wrong with more space. Southern exposure is a must, available shade is something good to consider.

Hi Everyone!
I am also from Colorado and just joining the forum so wanted to introduce myself and say hello! I probably know a few of you but since I usually dont get on forums much I wouldn't know who was who!!!
We live in Ft Collins and have a couple small flocks of Silkies, Wyanadottes, Cochins and a mixed laying flock. My son is starting a Tolbunt Polish flock and we are very excited about it!! We breed and show horses which takes up a good deal of our free time when not working!
I am excited to get to know everyone here!
Erin

Getting ready to place the eggs... mostly all green eggs with a couple of the darker marans eggs.

and here is the little chick that came from the light green/white speckled egg.

And the dominique mix.

Hi Everyone!
I am also from Colorado and just joining the forum so wanted to introduce myself and say hello! I probably know a few of you but since I usually dont get on forums much I wouldn't know who was who!!!
We live in Ft Collins and have a couple small flocks of Silkies, Wyanadottes, Cochins and a mixed laying flock. My son is starting a Tolbunt Polish flock and we are very excited about it!! We breed and show horses which takes up a good deal of our free time when not working!
I am excited to get to know everyone here!
Erin
Hi! Nice to see you on the Colorado thread! I know nothing of Tolbunt Polish, so off to educate myself! What kind of horses do you raise?

Back
Top Bottom