Colorado

Advise?
I haven't had this issue before but I assumed at one time or another it would come up when I added to my flock. I'm currently chicken sitting for Ronda who moved up from Texas, she's a doll BTW!
My lowest in the pecking order is my EE Tini, she's not really part of the BA clique of my girls, she has never laid and early on she was stepped on by our Rottie by accident because he was a puppy and just curious about them, he didn't hurt her but she was limping for a week or so before she got better. Heck, she may never lay or she may be a late layer I have no idea.
Well, since she's the weakest link, one of Ronda's girls who is clearly the top bird in her flock has been pecking her unmercifly and Tini won't even hang out in the yard she's found a corner of house that has some building stuff stacked and has hidden in there. At night when they roost I go find her and have been bringing her inside to sleep in the house in the bathroom because when I did put her in the coop they just pecked her and she was screaming like crazy and backed against the wall.
She's a very meek girl to start out with but now she's plain skittish and freaked out. I don't blame the dom bird, they just came up from TX and are prob like WTH? it's freezing here, and my girls are big fat fluffy girls and don't stand down, all except Tini.
roll.png

We are only sitting Ronda's girls for a couple weeks so I'm not too worried about this becoming a huge problem but I am worried about this behavior when we add to our flock. Is there a way to deter this behavior? I've looked on some of the forums but really am not getting a good answer. Thanks!

Advise?
I haven't had this issue before but I assumed at one time or another it would come up when I added to my flock. I'm currently chicken sitting for Ronda who moved up from Texas, she's a doll BTW!
My lowest in the pecking order is my EE Tini, she's not really part of the BA clique of my girls, she has never laid and early on she was stepped on by our Rottie by accident because he was a puppy and just curious about them, he didn't hurt her but she was limping for a week or so before she got better. Heck, she may never lay or she may be a late layer I have no idea.
Well, since she's the weakest link, one of Ronda's girls who is clearly the top bird in her flock has been pecking her unmercifly and Tini won't even hang out in the yard she's found a corner of house that has some building stuff stacked and has hidden in there. At night when they roost I go find her and have been bringing her inside to sleep in the house in the bathroom because when I did put her in the coop they just pecked her and she was screaming like crazy and backed against the wall.
She's a very meek girl to start out with but now she's plain skittish and freaked out. I don't blame the dom bird, they just came up from TX and are prob like WTH? it's freezing here, and my girls are big fat fluffy girls and don't stand down, all except Tini.
roll.png

We are only sitting Ronda's girls for a couple weeks so I'm not too worried about this becoming a huge problem but I am worried about this behavior when we add to our flock. Is there a way to deter this behavior? I've looked on some of the forums but really am not getting a good answer. Thanks!
Hmmm. Is there any way you can segregate them, but have her in sight? Is she still limping? Chickens can be brutal. They will sometimes try to eliminate a percieved weakness in the flock, to the point of killing it. If you can keep them together, but with some sort of barrier or protection for the one getting pecked, it may work, then again, it may not. Any time we add birds to the flock the flock dynamic changes and it gets sorted out all over again. If she was already at the bottom of the pile, it will be hard on her.

Advise? 
She's a very meek girl to start out with but now she's plain skittish and freaked out. I don't blame the dom bird, they just came up from TX and are prob like WTH? it's freezing here, and my girls are big fat fluffy girls and don't stand down, all except Tini. :rolleyes:

Only thing I found that helped was staying in the run for an hour or so with initial intros. I'd act as the rooster and anyone getting to feisty would get a short chase to separate them then I would stay between for a bit. But that only curbs initial behavior, helps tone things down. Long term, a bully is a bully and they may never accept that one bird as part of the flock. I gave up two birds because of that.

One because she was sooo flighty and neurotic compared to the others that she painted a bullseye on herself and one hen that saw flighty hens as an invitation to assault. I didn't want to deal with either long term. So my flighty girl went to a home with a lot of mixed breeds, some just as flighty as her and my bully went to a flock of all speckled Sussex, just like her.

Hope this helps.

Update.... After blow drying her and getting her mostly dried she stood up and started walking and talking to me. put her in a kennel with shavings food that almost killed her and water. She pooped big time and i knew she would be better. she started eatin immediately. i think we made it through it.

Update.... After blow drying her and getting her mostly dried she stood up and started walking and talking to me. put her in a kennel with shavings food that almost killed her and water. She pooped big time and i knew she would be better. she started eatin immediately. i think we made it through it.

Whew! SO glad she's okay!

Back
Top Bottom