Colorado

Anybody have a good design for a waterer that reduces mess? Can't keep the chickens from crapping in the waterer we have. Just thought there may be a pretty simple design other than suspending it?

Anybody have a good design for a waterer that reduces mess? Can't keep the chickens from crapping in the waterer we have. Just thought there may be a pretty simple design other than suspending it?

For now you can always put it up on blocks, up to chest high. On the chickens, not the humans :)

HI
We use a 5 gallon bucket with 4 chicken nipples attached. We keep the lid closed to prevent dust and debre from getting inside.Once we made these it was soo wonderful, I could refill the bucket about 2x a week. So much easier! We made a small one with only one nipple for inside our coop. I bought the nipples on ebay )they were about a dollar each) and they were really easy to install. I also have a heated bird bath warmer inside the bucket too, to keep the water from freezing.

Well the trusses are finally almost done. So much twisted wood, it was hard to get them all level and straight and properly spaced. We put two hurricane straps on each truss on one side, have to go back and add the second on the other side, then put blocks between the center boards on them. Then install one of the windows because it has "fins" that go under the siding, then the siding. We had hoped to get to siding today but alas, it was not to be. Had to make a run to town for hardware, had a woman stop by to buy chicks, and had to take care of some work issues mid day.

Got the hatcher set up after Bob and the cats were fed, will check on it soon to see if it has reached temp yet, and will clean a square of rubber-like shelf liner and place it over the wire mesh bottom tomorrow, and assuming temp and humidity hold will transfer eggs for hatch. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

Chicks are doing well. It is very hard not to just sit down there and watch them :) I guess more people than I would have expected like Silkie chicks - I got them mainly to be part of my Broody flock, and they are all sold already. Will get more the next time, and maybe some additional colors. They are doing absolutely fine combined with the White Leghorn chicks.

Ok, I swear Little Red is laying more than one egg a day sometimes! This is the third time I have found two pullet eggs out there! Granted she could have laid one last night and then another today but I picked up an egg from her yesterday! And one the day before that! Every third day or so it seems I get two eggs. Am I going nuts or is her egg drive in overtime? I haven't exactly been keeping a log but she is laying a LOT.

Is she one of Nemi's gals?

Well the trusses are finally almost done. So much twisted wood, it was hard to get them all level and straight and properly spaced. We put two hurricane straps on each truss on one side, have to go back and add the second on the other side, then put blocks between the center boards on them. Then install one of the windows because it has "fins" that go under the siding, then the siding. We had hoped to get to siding today but alas, it was not to be. Had to make a run to town for hardware, had a woman stop by to buy chicks, and had to take care of some work issues mid day.

Got the hatcher set up after Bob and the cats were fed, will check on it soon to see if it has reached temp yet, and will clean a square of rubber-like shelf liner and place it over the wire mesh bottom tomorrow, and assuming temp and humidity hold will transfer eggs for hatch. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

Chicks are doing well. It is very hard not to just sit down there and watch them :) I guess more people than I would have expected like Silkie chicks - I got them mainly to be part of my Broody flock, and they are all sold already. Will get more the next time, and maybe some additional colors. They are doing absolutely fine combined with the White Leghorn chicks.

i have 4 silkie chicks now and if any turn out to be roosters i'd be happy to give him to you. Then you could breed your own silkies. I may have i hen as well depending on what my other chicks turn out to be. I have 12 chicks right now and i think i can only keep 9 - 10.

I think I'm going to try this one. I'm only going to add an automatic filler from the hose.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/lake-norman-coop-de-ville-waterer-and-feeder
If you are going to go with a watering system like this one, I would recomend going with just the poultry nipples in the bottom of a 3 or 5 gallon bucket. The reason I say that is because the PVC pipe that the waterer is attached to WILL freeze in our climate unless you are going to keep it in the coop and not the run. And even then it may freeze. I am just trying to head you off from a bad situation down the road. At least with the nipple in the bottom of the bucket design, you can put a birdbath heater in it to keep it from freezing solid.

Back
Top Bottom