Colorado

I love the name Cornbread!!!
Me too, and if she ever hatches out chicks, they could be corn muffins!
tongue.png
Lame I know......

If Cornbread is bigger and older, she'll likely be the dominant and you'll have to keep an eye on the chicks. We had a situation here where we had to separate a bully for a couple of weeks...she went beyond dominant into being actually mean. One of the others was bleeding where she was mounting and pecking on her...and another was afraid to go in the coop at night. So we pulled Ms Nasty out and put her in a separate pen for about 3 weeks. When we put her back, SHE had to adjust to THEM. It's been about a week now, and we're keeping an eye on things. So far, no missing feathers, no terrified chickens. Whew! A dominant one is fine...they need a leader, but not a bully.

Oh, and I love that name, too! :D

Last edited:
Yes, we sold Nugget, the Red Star today to a family who had 5 chickens now, 3 older hens. I think she will do well there.

I would like to heal up Cornbread first and then give her to a friend or someone I visit. I am going to be very picky. We are going to keep her for a few more weeks. She laid an egg today which made me excited! I think she is going to heal up fine. Once Nugget (the Red Star) has been moved to her own home, Cornbread will have complete run of the garden to herself. We will work at giving her a way in a couple months when the chicks we are buying go outside. It's weird that chickens can have such personality. But I was really glad to see Lola, the aggresive leg horn, go! She got culled very humanely by a friend of ours, but she was just so mean! I SPRINTED into the garden to save Lola from killing Cornbread. There is a slight chance I am attached to Cornbread... :)
Just be careful...there is this malady that hits some of us occasionally called House Chicken Syndrome (HCS). Case in point: My house chicken Fritzle. He does have a diaper on, its just covered up by his feathers. Still looking for a home for him...

Last edited:
hahahaha, I love the name corn muffins. Ok, if I want to keep Cornbread, how would that work? If I have 5 chicks coming...is that possible to introduce her to them? She is so easily bullied.
Yep, I don;t think little chicks will be able to pick on her, but she might pick on them. Since she is so sweet, she may be fine with them. If she isn't then you are back to square one, looking for a good home for her, but you could at least try it.

Back
Top Bottom