Colorado

i think i'm only going to be able to keep 2 of my 4 silkies regardless of them being pullets or roos. Mine are a little over 2 wks old right now, but i'll let you know what they end up being and if i have to re home a couple i'll let you know. I'd rather give them away to someone that will care for them then make a little money on craigslist.
Well if it works out to be all pullets I would gladly purchase them of course, assuming I havent remedied my situation. Thank you for that! I did find a bearded hen here on BYC for sale but its a bit pricey not too sure if Im ready to spend the big bucks.

Well if it works out to be all pullets I would gladly purchase them of course, assuming I havent remedied my situation. Thank you for that! I did find a bearded hen here on BYC for sale but its a bit pricey not too sure if Im ready to spend the big bucks.
Ive also been warned about adding only one hen at a time and if I were to purchase and have shipped two pullets it would cost me a fortune, they had been lay golden eggs!

T
I never have gotten any negative comments from friends and family on facebook. Most of them don't understand because they're city folk (as were we up until 18 months ago), but they enjoy the tales of silly chickens and the pictures. The worst we've experienced is my in-laws treating us like we were dumb because we were jumping into something we didn't know anything about. Our opinion is that if you don't do things because you haven't done them before, how are you supposed to do anything new? Also, the way I research things... we didn't come into this surprised.

That's how I felt when I ordered my ducklings last year. I ended up with just one when the other one I ordered was DOA. I researched and got information before I even ordered but being inexperienced I was criticized highly for getting a duck. But you're so right.... People have to start somewhere. Instead of discouraging others, there should be more support for those wanting to become more sustainable.

Ummmm... I made stew for dinner tonight. Crock pot easy button.
smile.png
Cold as it has been it seemed like the perfect meal. What is everyone else enjoying tonight?

i'm doing stuffed peppers in the crock pot. Sprouts had bell peppers on sale for .77 each last week. :)

Quote:

I wish someone would have discouraged me about my ducks before I got them. They were an impulse buy and since you just can't have 1... They really deserve a place with a pond or a permanent water structure. I've had my ducks now for almost a year and while i do adore them, the guilt I feel for just giving them 2 gallon rubber buckets x3 over winter to swim in is intense some days. They are so very messy in the coop too. But they are mine and I can't see giving them to someone who'll eat them or who'll not keep them safe so here they remain. I truly hope that this year, I can convince my brother to come and help me build a small pond for them to swim in year round. We are discussing what is financially feasible now. Then hopefully I can convince them that a nice dog house near the water will be better than the coop. The little runner isn't so bad because she's bout the size of the chickens but my pekings are rather big. They don't lay well in winter and they eat a ton. Just my thoughts.

I wish someone would have discouraged me about my ducks before I got them.  They were an impulse buy and since you just can't have 1...  They really deserve a place with a pond or a permanent water structure.   I've had my ducks now for almost a year and while i do adore them, the guilt I feel for just giving them 2 gallon rubber buckets x3 over winter to swim in is intense some days.   They are so very messy in the coop too.   But they are mine and I can't see giving them to someone who'll eat them or who'll not keep them safe so here they remain.   I truly hope that this year,  I can convince my brother to come and help me build a small pond for them to swim in year round.  We are discussing what is financially feasible now.    Then hopefully I can convince them that a nice dog house near the water will be better than the coop.  The little runner isn't so bad because she's bout the size of the chickens but my pekings are rather big.  They don't lay well in winter and they eat a ton.  Just my thoughts. 

Even having one indoor duck she knows how to make a mess out of everything. I wish we had land to have a pond or something too but right now we settle for a kiddie pool but she doesn't seem to mind :)

Back
Top Bottom