Colorado

My chicks arrived this morning! 27 healthy, peeping fuzzies! They are settling in right now but I could about scream on one thing; it looks like they included barred rock and black Australorps. They are close to identical as chicks. Guess I will figure it out when I get a chance to look closer in an hour or two. DS's nap time.

CONGRATS!!

I'm picking up 3 chicks this afternoon myself....
woot.gif

Adam,
The only good thing about getting the chicks from the feed stores is that they are sexed. I know that isn't 100%, but my chances are better than 50% 50%. I guess I'll take my chances since I want olive eggers. I am fine with EE and marans too. So, yeah!!
I would need to get the chicks under my hen as soon as is reasonable after they hatch. I wonder how we would work the legistics of this?

Chick in the burbs. did you get a hatchery choice?

Last edited:
Adam,
The only good thing about getting the chicks from the feed stores is that they are sexed. I know that isn't 100%, but my chances are better than 50% 50%. I guess I'll take my chances since I want olive eggers. I am fine with EE and marans too. So, yeah!!
I would need to get the chicks under my hen as soon as is reasonable after they hatch. I wonder how we would work the legistics of this?

It was the brown egg layer assortment from McMurray. I didn't realize how hard some of the chicks would be to ID. Even their web site says their buff Orphingtons are just about identical to their buff rocks. And the mystery chicks don't match anything on their site so far!

i tried the feather footed section for the one Mystery and it is lighter than all the breed chick pics they display.

Maybe you can get the feed store to put you on a call list for the morning they receive chicks? That would be the fastest way to know if they are willing to do that...

Maybe you can get the feed store to put you on a call list for the morning they receive chicks? That would be the fastest way to know if they are willing to do that...
I am on the list at Jax for some americaunas and Marans this Friday. If Adam has olive eggers, or the chance of olive eggers, I really want those. I guess it's worth a few roos to get what I want...I really want to have the experience of giving a broody chicks and seeing how that goes. I hope it goes ok.
So, I am pretty sure I'll wait and see how Adams hatch goes and not get the birds Friday at Jax's

Last edited:
Ok so the bottom of my brooder box is wood if you saw my pic. I had it ready and set up before my chicks came Friday. I didn't have paper on the bottom. I put a couple inches of woodchips on the bottom a paper towels on the top. Ive been changing paper towels in the morning. should i change them more often. they are pooping more. Should I dump everything and put paper on the bottom? Should I remover paper towels all together and how often should I change chips in the brooder box. I have 12. I and they don't lay under the light so I'm assuming they are warm enough??

Ok so the bottom of my brooder box is wood if you saw my pic. I had it ready and set up before my chicks came Friday. I didn't have paper on the bottom. I put a couple inches of woodchips on the bottom a paper towels on the top. Ive been changing paper towels in the morning. should i change them more often. they are pooping more. Should I dump everything and put paper on the bottom? Should I remover paper towels all together and how often should I change chips in the brooder box. I have 12. I and they don't lay under the light so I'm assuming they are warm enough??
Pozees will have to chime in on the bedding. It sounds like your using her method for bedding.

If they are laying on the far outskirts of the lamp light I'd say they're to warm, plus they might start panting. Maybe raise the lamp a couple inches and see how they react.

Adam,

As long as the eggs hatch over the weekend I can get them to you fairly easily. I would have to wait until they are dry at least. I'm not sure how long tht takes. I'm also not sure how to transport them as I have never done this. What part of town are you located?

Back
Top Bottom