Colorado

I had one doing this when i first got them home. That was the one that was constipated or her digestive trac was not working correctly. She had a case of pasty butt as well. I ended up giving her some oliv oil oraly and a olive oil enima with an eye dropper. Once she started to poop she has been much quieter. I also started to put ACV in their water. About 1/4 tea spoon in the quart. This seems to have gotten the guts working. It may quieten down by itself but keep an eye on the food and water intake and discharge. What goes in must come back out.

I saw her poop the first day. I can't tell who the other poops have been from but there are some other poops. I checked and none have pasty butt. Ill go get some acv tonight after work. Where can I buy it? It has to be the one with the cultures in it right?

I dip its beak in water every day about 3 times a day. I haven't seen any of my chicks eat or drink though this morning I got the noisy one to eat a crumble out of my hand. That is the first I have seen. She hatched late Friday early Saturday. The other 2 hatched mid afternoon Saturday... When should I expect to see them eating and drinking? Is there anything else I can do to encourage them? I sprinkled crumbles on their paper towels to see if they would peck at them that way..
They will start eating and drinking today probably. Just keep showing them. Do you have the flattish colored shiny marbles in your water? That helps attract them to the water.

I saw her poop the first day. I can't tell who the other poops have been from but there are some other poops. I checked and none have pasty butt. Ill go get some acv tonight after work. Where can I buy it? It has to be the one with the cultures in it right?
I have used both filtered and unfiltered ACV with good results. I also usually add a little molasses to the water for an extra boost. You can get it at almost any grocery store. I got my last bottle from Walmart.....

They will start eating and drinking today probably. Just keep showing them. Do you have the flattish colored shiny marbles in your water? That helps attract them to the water.

I have the metal base waterers with the plastic bottles. I have some flat marbles at home i can put in there though I don't see much room for them as the 2 waterers I have are kind of small. They are the ones that fit mason jars. Ill try when I get off work.

If your chicks are smaller, you can also smash up the crumbles and that seems to make it easier for them to eat while they are "losing" their egg tooth. I also have some powdered probiotics that I sprinkle on food whenever a critter needs an extra boost.

I started turning the lights off for 1 hour every 4 hours when they hit 2 weeks. Now I am at the point where they stay off for 6 hours over night(more for my sanity) and they sleep during that time. My home stays about 68 degrees so they aren't freezing. They are a little chilly, but no problems currently health wise. The first week and a half, the light is on constantly, and the temperature ranges from 100 degrees at the lights, to about 85 at the other side of the box. Once they start spending more time on the dark side, I start turning the lights off.

Back
Top Bottom