Colorado

I'm finally getting somewhere in my coop construction! AHHH! My poor babies are still in the garage with a little bit of time in the yard.

Question though: Will it be ok leaving the floor just as plywood and not putting anything overtop? Here's pics of the progress...and some of the girls.

Thought I'd share since I'm in a supplies-buying mode right now for building a new coop - I found what I consider some decent deals on hardware cloth on Wayfair.com recently - got a 48" x 50' roll for $103 including free shipping and no sales tax. Compared to $68 for a 48" x 25' role at the Home Despot and I thought it a reasonable savings. Also looked at one place that wanted $71 just in shipping so there are definitely some not-good places to buy from online! Going to be using the plans from thegardencoop.com (slightly modified), just have to get some time in town to actually work on it now that I've got all the supplies purchased. I'm in Stapleton and will likely be working on the primary assembly the weekend of April 19th if folks are interested in hanging out and talking chooks.

Yes, they do some good, mice, bugs..... This guy was maybe four feet long, they can get into very small places, my coop was shut up tight at night, but guess he could have slithered in during the day, and hidden among the feed sacks.
While you all are on the subject of snakes, is there a way to keep them out of your yard? Last year I must have had about six which I found while gardening. Mind you they were very small, maybe a foot long. Still I do not care for snake no matter what they eat. So this year I would like to detour them away from my garden specially now that I have chickens.

Ok... I may have a roo!! Of course it's too early to tell (at 4 weeks) but I think there is a pretty big difference between two chicks of the same breed that I brought home on the same day.

Here's the possible roo (the breed in question is a buff brahma, for those interested)

The other brahma we have is the middle, white-ish one. Hard to see her comb coloring, but it there is BARELY any tint of red and I think you can click the picture to make it bigger?

Do you guys have any votes on the possibility of the first bird being a roo at 4 weeks?

Progress Report:

Wiring takes longer than you think it will
roll.png
We got the other two pens assembled, and then it took most of the rest of the day to get the two junction boxes and the switch box installed and wired (all Bob, I know nothing about wiring). We moved the chicks that were in the first 2 pens into the other 2 so Bob can wire the West side of the building, hopefully finished tomorrow afternoon. Next step is trench from the meter to the coop, plant conduit and feed wire. Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night are supposed to be pretty unpleasant weather-wise, so not sure how soon that step will happen, but it is possible that by the end of next weekend the coop will have power and I will have been able to move all but the youngest chicks into it! Probable is a whole 'nother calculation of course
lau.gif

Ok... I may have a roo!! Of course it's too early to tell (at 4 weeks) but I think there is a pretty big difference between two chicks of the same breed that I brought home on the same day.

Here's the possible roo (the breed in question is a buff brahma, for those interested)

The other brahma we have is the middle, white-ish one. Hard to see her comb coloring, but it there is BARELY any tint of red and I think you can click the picture to make it bigger?

Do you guys have any votes on the possibility of the first bird being a roo at 4 weeks?

I've never seen a Buff Brahma in person, so purely a guess, I would say there is a good possibility. As someone on another thread recently said, if he lays an egg it is entirely possible I am wrong :)

Last edited:
Thought I'd share since I'm in a supplies-buying mode right now for building a new coop - I found what I consider some decent deals on hardware cloth on Wayfair.com recently - got a 48" x 50' roll for $103 including free shipping and no sales tax.  Compared to $68 for a 48" x 25' role at the Home Despot and I thought it a reasonable savings.  Also looked at one place that wanted $71 just in shipping so there are definitely some not-good places to buy from online!  Going to be using the plans from thegardencoop.com (slightly modified), just have to get some time in town to actually work on it now that I've got all the supplies purchased.  I'm in Stapleton and will likely be working on the primary assembly the weekend of April 19th if folks are interested in hanging out and talking chooks.

If i were closer to stapleton. I would come and give you a hand. I like helping out and talking chook. Wish i were closer.

While you all are on the subject of snakes, is there a way to keep them out of your yard?  Last year I must have had about six which I found while gardening.  Mind you they were very small, maybe a foot long.  Still I do not care for snake no matter what they eat.  So this year I would like to detour them away from my garden specially now that I have chickens.

Snakes that size are more than likely gardener snakes. They can startle you when you find them but they are quite harmless. If your chickens find them, the snake will become a snack to them. So dont worry too much.

I'd say at such an early age to be showing wattles and such red comb/wattles, its likely male. He looks like silver laced, its a beautiful color.

Could be feed costs are going up, up and up some more. Big R buys by the train load, so to me, they are very resonably priced on feed, could be just me though. Their prices are more than last year, but so is everyone else. TS also buys in HUGE bulk, so would think they would have some great buys on feed too. If you don't mind the drive.
I just discovered that if you find something cheaper at a feed store close to Big R they will match the price!

Ha! Thanks for the confirmations on my possible roo... even tho that is sad news, I've already grown quite attached to all my chickens. Of course we'll keep 'him' until we have definite proof it's a 'him' and then I'm sure I'll be looking for a new home for him!

Back
Top Bottom