Colorado

Hello! I am on my way to join y'all in Colorado from Phoenix, AZ. Anyone from the littleton area? That's where we are looking to settle. No chickens on board. Any good areas in Littleton where chicks are allowed? Hopefully, we'll be settled in our rental by early May. :) I'll be glad to escape the insane heat here.
Hi there! I'm in Littleton and it's amazing! I am about a mile south of DTL on Prince. There's a wide variety (in terms of price and size) and plenty of rentals. I don't know about covenants, but if you want to throw out some neighborhoods/cross streets I'll tell you anything I know. WELCOME!!

Hey Y'all. I've got a hen setting on 10 eggs right now, and knowing my luck there will be 9 roos at hatch
barnie.gif
. I ordered a mix of crested breeds in an effort to identify roos before they crow, but I'm wondering if there are any ideas about how to get rid of them. I can't have roos in the hood, and I can't butcher them in the city, so other than attending every chicken swap in CO, are there any ideas?

Thanks!!
AC

Hello! I am on my way to join y'all in Colorado from Phoenix, AZ. Anyone from the littleton area? That's where we are looking to settle. No chickens on board. Any good areas in Littleton where chicks are allowed? Hopefully, we'll be settled in our rental by early May. :) I'll be glad to escape the insane heat here.

Housing market is rough right now, but there are some good schools in the Highlands Ranch area and they let you have 4 chickens but if you want more then you might look in the Parker area. If you can hold off a month I would though because I an doing house shopping right now and it is brutal.

I will be interested if in the group happens o be some sweet potatoes.

I"m waiting to hear back from Yashar now. Each chick should be 15.40 each.

That's what I was hoping to get as well.

Seriously? She has been laying a green egg. ( I really need to find my camera to computer cord)

I could never quite figure out how it came out tailless but I do remember that in my earlier post regarding it, it had come out of a tealish greeny grey egg. In reading Yashar's description of the eggs, I believe that is the egg she came out of.

Grr! Lost 2 chicks today. One was the smallest cukoo maran....which can't be found and the other was my only mille fleur bantam...which i caught the dog burying. I looked everywhere and didn't find the cm buried. There's no blood, no feathers and my older hens didn't sounds the alarm at any point during the day. I suspect the dog may have done it but at the same time I'm not thinking he did. He likes to herd the babies around and he tries to sniff them if they get close but he's never acted rough towards them before....

My dogs do generally ok with chickens and chicks, unless I'm not watching and then they imagine them as squeaky balls with legs filled with their favorite treat, chicken crap. Soooo, I keep my dogs separate from my chickens. My brother just had his dog take out his baby chicks. sigh.

Hey Y'all. I've got a hen setting on 10 eggs right now, and knowing my luck there will be 9 roos at hatch
barnie.gif
. I ordered a mix of crested breeds in an effort to identify roos before they crow, but I'm wondering if there are any ideas about how to get rid of them. I can't have roos in the hood, and I can't butcher them in the city, so other than attending every chicken swap in CO, are there any ideas?

Thanks!!
AC

I think i read once that there is a place associated with DUH that will process your live birds for $10.... I was researching the denver homesteading and i think that was where i came across it!

I probably am. Sucks being the 'good girl' all the time. Lol
Here in Fountain, I too had to get a permit. Not only for chickens but for the size of my coop and the placement. I am allowed six Hens, no Roosters. I bought four Hens so later down the road I can get two more when I want a different breed. My coop can not be over 6 feet tall. It has to be so many feet from the property line and from the house. I wanted to put the coop closer to the house so it would be easy to care for them in the colder weather but now they are in the center of the backyard. Every step we have taken in building the coop and run we are not without the measure tape. I figure if any neighbors complain about the chickens there is nothing they can do because I have a permit. It is a drag I can not have more Hens because the more I learn about keeping them the more I would like to have.

I think i read once that there is a place associated with DUH that will process your live birds for $10.... I was researching the denver homesteading and i think that was where i came across it!

There is a portion on their page regarding this. I am exhausted or I would look it up.

Today has been a Full Day. I received 50 peepers this morning, 13 EEs, 25 Cuckoo Marans and 12 'males for warmth' with the EE batch. I think they are red sex link boys but I am not sure. I found a buyer for them on CL but I haven't heard back from him. I think he may have thought I was selling all 12 for $1 instead of $1 each and changed his mind when he figured it out. :/

Between checking in on the peepers to be sure everyone is doing well I have been setting up the nursery more, baking and generally going nuts nesting. :rolleyes: If my parents hadn't flown in to help me I would be spinning in circles. Preping for a new baby with a two year old running wild is draining.

I can't make up my mind - feel free to weigh in....

Wood floor, or dirt floor?

(it would help if I would make up my mind on sand or DL.... or maybe it wouldn't.... I can't decide)

barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom