Colorado

What a beautiful day!! I spent most of it outside trying to rake my backyard which is nothing but dirt (hopefully now with less rocks and twigs). This weekend we are going to plant clover instead of grass. I am so excited to find a lawn alternative which doesn't need a lot of watering or time spent mowing. Plus, my 3 bee hives will have a new food source. I bought 4 types of clover, crimson, purple prairie, red, and white so I can do a bit of landscaping with the colors.

As everyone knows, I work at the VA in Denver now.  Prior to starting, I thought I had dog proofed my area.  My dogs aren't chicken aggressive if we are out there but if we aren't, I never did trust them, especially the 16 month old Anakin. 

I came home tonight and my whole family was at my house.  My son had come home from college today and Annie had gotten out of his inner gate and into the chicken area and he took out many of my feathered kids.  He took out my two polish, my silkie rooster, Beakers, 3 of the remaining babies under the  broody hen(there are 3 left), one of my colloncas (the other is in seclusion for abrasions), my black marans but not my marans rooster, my partridge, 3 of my cuckoo marans and 2 of the EFs not in the house along with 2 of my 4 first generation of laying eggs.  He took out my black stars and 1 red star.  Millie, my d'uccle made it.   My broody hen has significant feather loss to her neck area but no punctures and 3 of the remaining ones made it. 

So I did what anyone would do, I gathered the eggs, took out the turkey eggs from the incubator and will set the eggs officially tomorrow.  I am down to 34 adults and 14 babies inside, 3 outside.  The **** ducks are fine so am assuming that the drake kept them safe.   I've told so many people to never, ever put your eggs immediately in the fridge.  That you must have at least 2 days worth of eggs, just in case.  Never, in a million years, did I think I'd be taking my own advice. 

I have two more in the house right now recuperating.  I have an easter egger with loss of skin around her neck but not severe and a marans with severe trauma to her neck and back.    The collonca I gave a sitz bath too as the damage to her rectum looks correctable and superficial.  The other two are wait and see.  I was going to cull the marans but she's a fighter.  The marans severe, very, very severe.  She's in her own box in the back room where the younger pullets from two hatches are with the 2 turkeys and EFs as that is a very warm area.  The EE is in the spare bathtub but she's already trying to get out.  THe collonca will be in the dark pantry while I try very hard to cut off egg production so that her rectal area can heal. 

So I just spent the last 4 hours with my brother and sil stringing hot wire along the inner fence where the dog run is.  If the shock isn't enough to put the fear of pain in them, I'll go higher and higher until it does. 

I'm emotionally and physically exhausted right now and just heartsick for Beakers. 

I'm worn out right now, emotionally and physically exhausted.  I did everything I could think to do to try to keep my flock safe.  I'm down to only 34 now and the babies and young pullets.  I'm down to only 2 roosters, although my first generation rooster does have a non-fatal puncture wound.  He's pretty though.
Oh my I am so sad for you, I feel like I know beakers from reading your post. Sending hugs. So sorry.

Mayah, I'm going to break my rule and tell you how sorry I am about your losses. How devastating.

hit.gif

Last edited:
Wow, have not been on in two days, and five pages to read! Welcome to the newbies!!

Sorry for your chicken loss, hope you can rebuild your flock quickly. Sounds like you are on your way with eggs!!! Some dogs and chickens, just don't mix, ever! Electric will help, I have used it successfully with GSD's, big dogs, once zapped they stayed away from it. They usually get zapped on the nose first, OUCH!!!

Wendell, hope the rest of your eggs hatch!

Last edited:
So it appears one of my hens might be a rooster and so it has to go tomorrow at the latest. I have a guarantee on sex from the farmer but can't find his information so maybe someone here knows his contact info or his facebook page. Here's what I remember from him:

pullets were $5 on craigslist
lives in fort collins
has a facebook account
has two little girls
if anyone went up there he had a wooden sign with pullets priced and chicks and he had a thoroughbred stallion but it had recently passed away
his facebook page had a bunch of pictures of his girls playing in the mud
he had turkeys and chickens and i think his house was yellow
he was a really nice guy, wore a cowboy hat, just wish i could find his information or remember the name of his farm

if i can't find his information would anyone be willing to come get him? I'm in Centennial off Smoky Hill and Buckley and he's a Barred Rock. Really pretty too. I just hope he's the one that's the rooster. If not its the Americauna. But the Barred Rock has a bit of a comb, long neck feathers and long tail feathers.

thank you for any help!

Back
Top Bottom