Colorado

I've been keeping bees for three years now. All swarms are different to remove. It depends where they swarm to. Sometimes they are just on a fence or on the side of a tree. Sometimes they are in bushes or tree branches.
I was on the 'swarm team' last year for Boulder County so I did quite a few retrievals. I didn't keep any swarms I got last year. I'm not on the team this year so I feel really lucky to have gotten a swarm at all.
This was the easiest swarm I have every removed. It was on a low tree branch and I just gave the branch a hard shake and the swarm landed in my box. The bees ball around the queen when they swarm so it is like a big 'bee ball'...when it works right. Shook the box into the hive when I got home and that was that.
Just to keep this chicken related. I have learned from killing chickens and pigs that you have to handle animals with determination and purpose. If you want an animal to do something they don't want to do, or they don't do naturally you need to be very firm and in control and don't do anything until you know you will be the one in control. Bees are just like that.

Pozees...
sad.png
bummer there is no word...I have a sinking feeling I'm not getting bantams this year.

HI All,
This weekend was a blur with the Take A Peak Chicken Coop Tour. So many nice people interested in getting started with chickens.
In the middle of the tour, we had a 6 foot snake come through our back yard. That added a bit of adrenaline to the day.
Can anyone tell me what kind this is? It was not afraid of us. Thanks, Wendy
I hate snakes, but I'm trying to be more tolerant of them this year. Over the winter, we had an infestation of mice that made homes under the strawbales (that I used last year as gardens). They have been a PAIN to get under control. I figured the snakes will take care of them. Haven't seen as many since it's been warm enough for the snakes to move around.

I didn't realize bull snakes were so aggressive. I had always heard they were good to have around. I've also heard that you can be fined if caught killing one. Not sure how true that is, though.

We had one exactly like (yours) in our backyard last week. He was huge! He was tangled up in a strip of deer netting. We tried to cut it off of him, but I was too afraid to get too close to his head, and he got away before we could get him free. It's so tightly tangled around the back of his head, I don't see how he will be able to eat anything. I felt horrible watching him slither away and knowing he's all but dead. But it may be for the best, after all.

I've been keeping bees for three years now. All swarms are different to remove. It depends where they swarm to. Sometimes they are just on a fence or on the side of a tree. Sometimes they are in bushes or tree branches.
I was on the 'swarm team' last year for Boulder County so I did quite a few retrievals. I didn't keep any swarms I got last year. I'm not on the team this year so I feel really lucky to have gotten a swarm at all.
This was the easiest swarm I have every removed. It was on a low tree branch and I just gave the branch a hard shake and the swarm landed in my box. The bees ball around the queen when they swarm so it is like a big 'bee ball'...when it works right. Shook the box into the hive when I got home and that was that.
Just to keep this chicken related. I have learned from killing chickens and pigs that you have to handle animals with determination and purpose. If you want an animal to do something they don't want to do, or they don't do naturally you need to be very firm and in control and don't do anything until you know you will be the one in control. Bees are just like that.

Pozees...
sad.png
bummer there is no word...I have a sinking feeling I'm not getting bantams this year.
I had no idea you could take wild swarms like that! Great info.

I was reading on one of the other threads here on BYC, or somewhere on the web that sometimes it does take two hatching seasons to get what you want from Urch, as they are a small hatchery. But, you usually do get what you ordered by the second season, just FYI.

I had no idea you could take wild swarms like that! Great info.

I was reading on one of the other threads here on BYC, or somewhere on the web that sometimes it does take two hatching seasons to get what you want from Urch, as they are a small hatchery. But, you usually do get what you ordered by the second season, just FYI.
oh. hmm....well, I have a little bantam coop all ready for the birds I ordered, when ever they get here. I guess if it isn't until next year, that's ok to.

Sad sad day as my flock was nearly totalled. I only have one girl left. If anyone has an extra I could purchase so she won't get lonely that would be super. I'm in Parker...

Back
Top Bottom