Colorado

I moved my 3 8-week olds to the coop tonight, for now they're inside the brooder. My hens are freaked out, only 4 of the 8 made it to the roost; 4 others are piled into one nest box.

How do people handle feeding when you have multiple ages in the coop? The babies should stay on starter/grower for another 10 weeks. Is it possible to make sure everyone is eating the right thing?

I change everyone over to an all-flock formula when integrating ages and then offer egg shell/oyster shell in a dish for the bigger girls who need it. They'll take care of themselves and get the calcium they need.

Wow, you guys talk a lot! We've been crazy busy out here with weird family stuff going on, building another coop, building an unplanned goat habitat, and then driving to Divide to get the goaties from suncatcher and then taking them to the vet to get snipped and shot today. Tomorrow will be marathon cleaning for a party that I thought I had a week to do last week... Turns out life had other plans in the works with the goats. :)

Dale and Chip (and hubby's legs):
They look so happy! I hope they help take care of your grass and weeds!
smile.png
Love their names, they really fit them!

Are the Cochins LF or Bantam?

LF. I'll try to post a pic later today. I hatched them from shipped eggs, they came out of a BBS pen. The pullet is bigger than the cockerel. They have been sharing a grow out pen with Silkies and RIRs, and it has been an extremely peaceful pen, I am so happy with every bird in there, but have to part with some.

I posted over on the Colorado Chickens FB page that I've also decided to sell a White Silkie cockerel, because the only White pullet I have is the cross beaked one so there are no breeding opportunities for him here, and I can't justify keeping him just because he is beautiful and sweet. He hasn't started to crow yet but I feel pretty sure he's a cockerel. I hatched him February 10th from a Catdance Silkies egg. He has to have a bath before I take his picture, he really likes his FF and has a crusty face :)

I moved my 3 8-week olds to the coop tonight, for now they're inside the brooder. My hens are freaked out, only 4 of the 8 made it to the roost; 4 others are piled into one nest box.

How do people handle feeding when you have multiple ages in the coop? The babies should stay on starter/grower for another 10 weeks. Is it possible to make sure everyone is eating the right thing?
All flock feed is probably the easiest. Another way to do it is to make a small area that is only accessable to the smaller chickens. Perhaps an opening that the larger ones can't get through. Then put grower ration in there for them.

Sad sad day as my flock was nearly totalled. I only have one girl left. If anyone has an extra I could purchase so she won't get lonely that would be super. I'm in Parker...
Someone posted that they had chickens available over on the FB Colorado chickens group. I think it was Noelle Taylor. She said she had some Black Autralorps, some 5 weeks old and some australorp pullets 6-8 months old.

Back
Top Bottom