Colorado

I know they are taking large animals at Elbert Cty fairgrounds. Elizabeth Big R is providing panels, buckets etc and water tanks. I don't think they are full yet. I hate to think of any animals having to make their own way in a fire. We are ready to leave as well, hopefully the wind will change and put it out!

I posted on the Colorado Chickens FB page, but will post here as well - I have land but no structures/fencing to speak of. We are on 42 acres. The pasture hasn't been grazed in 7 years, but is not what I consider good pasture, the previous inhabitants ran 7 horses here with no cross fencing. We are fenced well on the East side, which is the frontage road, 3-strand barbed wire to the North and West, only 1 strand of barbed wire on part of the South side. That said, if you have some sort of temporary shelter/fencing/tie-out for larger animals, don't hesitate to let me know if you need a place to put your chickens or other livestock. Bob is home all day thanks to the January lay-off, we have well water, and we spend a couple of hours each evening doing outside chores. A few more critters won't hurt a thing. We are south of Pueblo right off exit 83 of I-25. Not as close as anyone else offering shelter, and as I said, no buildings, in fact I am trying to figure out how to put up a couple of more coops and runs LOL, but we have the property, and are in Pueblo County so no restrictions on livestock.

719-492-0688 - I go to bed early but get up early as well. I am keeping all in my thoughts and hope they get these fires under control.

Wendell, you were asking how our flocks were managing the heat. I moved the EFs outside to their own coop and run on Sunday. Monday they and all the others were panting, they were very unhappy and seemed stressed, but once we added a little more shade they seemed better. Yesterday was plain nasty, 104 (Monday 105) and very windy, today didn't quite make 100 but the afternoon was very windy again, but the chickens all seem to have adjusted to the heat, in fact the EFs are doing great. The others I was most worried about are the 4 Silkies that hatched over the weekend under a broody, and they are also doing great. I still see some panting, but fresh cool water every evening, watering down the trees and ground around the coops, and running the mister when it makes sense, all seem to have helped them acclimate. So far no losses, thank goodness.

I know they are taking large animals at Elbert Cty fairgrounds. Elizabeth Big R is providing panels, buckets etc and water tanks. I don't think they are full yet. I hate to think of any animals having to make their own way in a fire. We are ready to leave as well, hopefully the wind will change and put it out!

500 Fairgrounds Drive Castle Rock, CO 80104
(720) 733-6900 is taking livestock, the fairgrounds in Elizabeth is too. I called the Edwards Foundation for Rescued Animals, and she said she didn't have much room, but gave me information for the Colorado Horse Council. Call Fred at 303-688-0553. They are taking animals somewhere around I-25 and Tomah.

New Facebook page. ...

Black Forrest Fire Lost and Found Pets.

I am on my phone so cannot post the link. Prayers to all of you to keep safe. They are updating where you can take your pets and what is needed. From the smallest to horses. Hope this helps. If some one could post the link I would be grateful.

Thinking of you all.

Maye

FlaRocky

Yesterday afternoon we moved the 5 1/2 week old chicks into the grow-out pen. I put the wire dog kennel in the brooding pen and tossed in mealworms. After going in and out a few time, I finaly got one poult and 5 chicks to stay in long enough to close the door. They thought life had come to an end. By the time I had them into the new pen and back to get the remaining 3 chicks and poult, they had all decided that the cage meant certain death, and they would have none of it. We had to catch each one. That was entertaining. These guys are fast. After they were all in the new pen, It only took about 5 minutes for them to all be settled down and about their business. The hens were all standing along the wire fence gawking at the little ones. The older Narrageansett poults were the most curious and persistent about the younger birds and stayed at the fence for nearly 45 minutes. They all went into the coop just fine at night, though it was nearly dark before the last one got it through his little chicken head that the coop was where he was supposed to be. I checked on them this morning and they were just coming out of the coop. All was good. Now for a couple weeks in that pen and then we open the gate and let them in with the big chickens.

We had gusty winds, not as hot yesterday. Today should be cooler as well, but with winds again this afternoon.

Pens #5 and #6 are open now and available for evacuated chickens if needed.

Stil deciding if we should do one more incubator batch or not. I guess it depends on how the current one goes. .....

Back
Top Bottom