Colorado

Well, never a dull moment. I am a rookie to trying to hatch eggs the broody way, so I placed some eggs from my boy's girls under a broody. She accumulated too many under her, so I decided to remove some this morning. Once I got inside, I realized one of the eggs sounded like water was in it. It wasn't water. I did an "eggtopsy" and as I tried to open it, POP. Needless to say it was rotten.
sickbyc.gif
At least I don't have to clean out the nest box.
idunno.gif
One mistake I will never make again.
We dig a hole, far from the house, then crack the eggs to see what's inside. That way you can see what happened without the mess in the house. We had one from our five last eggs explode when hubby cracked it. Thank goodness we were outside, because I could not imagine that smell in the house.

Hey folks, I agreed a few days ago to foster some chicks for a fellow BYC poster who was going to deliver them to me this afternoon. Unfortunately, Highway 24 between his house in SW Colorado Springs and my house in the Green Mountain Falls area has recently been closed due to flash flooding and mud slides. My poor husband and son are stuck in traffic trying to come home from picking up a car from the dealership. Anyway, the chicks owner is about to go out of town tomorrow morning. If he can't make it up here due to the highway, is there anyone else who could look after these 4 chicks until I can pick them up (hopefully tomorrow)? They are between 1 and 2 weeks old and currently have their own brooder set up and food.

Send me a message if you can provide emergency overnight accomodations.
If I had a home, I would so offer to help.

Hey folks, I agreed a few days ago to foster some chicks for a fellow BYC poster who was going to deliver them to me this afternoon. Unfortunately, Highway 24 between his house in SW Colorado Springs and my house in the Green Mountain Falls area has recently been closed due to flash flooding and mud slides. My poor husband and son are stuck in traffic trying to come home from picking up a car from the dealership. Anyway, the chicks owner is about to go out of town tomorrow morning. If he can't make it up here due to the highway, is there anyone else who could look after these 4 chicks until I can pick them up (hopefully tomorrow)? They are between 1 and 2 weeks old and currently have their own brooder set up and food.

Send me a message if you can provide emergency overnight accomodations.
Hi,
I can take the chicks. I have an extra coop which is specifically a brooder coop. It has a heat bulb. I am happy to chick-sit for a while if you need it. Wendy 233-0650
P.S. I am in the NW side of Colo springs. (sort of the wrong directions from your friends)

Hi,
I can take the chicks. I have an extra coop which is specifically a brooder coop. It has a heat bulb. I am happy to chick-sit for a while if you need it. Wendy 233-0650
P.S. I am in the NW side of Colo springs. (sort of the wrong directions from your friends)
Wendy, The word I just got from my husband is that Hwy 24 has reopened, although traffic is moving at about 5 miles an hour. So, let's see if the chicks can make it up here. Otherwise, I'll have him give you a call. Thanks so much! Chicken folks are the nicest folks around.

Wendell, I noted at least two people asking him directly what his plans were for chickens, and no answer. We can issue a general sort of warning about giving away chickens. Some don't mind if their cockerels are going to be family dinner, as long as the processing is humane, but they have the right to know that is what will become of them. I don't believe it will do any good with this person to try another private contact, which was what I initially considered. Forewarned is forearmed, is what I think at the moment.

And, saw on CC page on FB, Hatching!!!!! Whooppee!!!!!

Cluckcluckgirl, I saw a good suggestion on the Natural Chicken Keeping thread to put the unhatched egg into a ziploc bag prior to eggtopsy. If you are going to bury it as Ashdoes suggested then that is probably unnecessary, but if you are wanting to see as much as you can and are then going to dispose of it in the trash, the ziploc bag should work pretty well.

Wendy, I LOVE your design! And thank you for offering shelter for the chicks in transit, you are very kind.

Suncatcher, I'm with you, ANY moisture is welcome. We got barely a trace yesterday and that has been all for the last month and more. <sigh>

P-funk, I have heard of Matrix, I think at work, do not remember anything specifically positive or negative about them. I can try to learn more tomorrow if you need info.

So I think this will be my actual label..SAMPLE D. a little bit easier to read....
I have already talking myself into getting a tee shirt and tote bag (for my egg deliveries)!
icm_fullxfull.28436455_eyhga5h90zwow0owco84.jpg

I think that one is perfect, love the ideas of matching shirt an delivery bag! Good luck Wendy!

Back
Top Bottom