Colorado

Working on it.  So far, so good as the plants have not died and one actually has some black currants on it this year.  8600 ft up and we have wild currants all over the place.  Water seems to be the key....
can you post a picture of one of the wild ones because I think I have wild ones but I don't want to eat one until I know. Thank you for your response!

can you post a picture of one of the wild ones because I think I have wild ones but I don't want to eat one until I know. Thank you for your response!

Do you want a pic now or when the berries are ripe?
I am getting braver and planted 2 blueberry plants this year. My first try a few years ago was a complete failure.

Last edited:
700 posts... no way I'll get to them. Hope I didn't miss too much. Too much going on here lately but will try to at least check in once every day or so.

So the turkeys are both still alive but the hen has a respiratory issue. She is separated until I can sort it out.

The duck's foot is worse now than it was before the vet. Idiot vet. I knew she didn't get it all out but that's another story.

700 posts... no way I'll get to them. Hope I didn't miss too much. Too much going on here lately but will try to at least check in once every day or so.

So the turkeys are both still alive but the hen has a respiratory issue. She is separated until I can sort it out.

The duck's foot is worse now than it was before the vet. Idiot vet. I knew she didn't get it all out but that's another story.

Mayah, someone on Natural Chicken Keeping posted that they had good results packing bumblefoot with sugar and iodine and wrapping with gauze and vet wrap or duct tape. Might be worth a try.

So busy lately! Before I post to Craigslist I wanted to let our members know I will be selling the extra Egyptian Fayoumi cockerel and 2 Speckled Sussex cockerels. The Fayoumi was okay for a while with the Sussex pen, but now has decided to fight with the Sussex cockerels, and that just won't do. I am incubating whatever eggs the 2 hens lay to see what comes of them but he is back in jail during the day, and that is not a good life for him. If no one wants him I will process him, but there is precious little meat there. He is not human aggressive at all, not mean to the hens and pullets, but needs to be the only rooster. One of the SS cockerels I am selling is nice but has a tipped serration in his comb, so I don't want to use him, and the other has something wrong with his right wing and leg, and will really only be good for processing I believe. He has maintained good weight and health, but is also not suitable for a breeding situation. Asking $5 each. The Fayoumi is from the 3/10 hatch and the Sussex are from the 4/1 hatch.

This reduction will leave me with 4 SS cockerels, and I plan to keep 2. The other 2 may be going to a person with hens and no cock bird. If not, they will be available later this year or processed.

I banded the RIR cockerel and 3 pullets that hatched in March tonight, and will band the other 4 RIR tomorrow, so I can track them. The older group has been penned with Silkies and they are so gentle, unfortunately one of the pullets has a crossed beak, very minor and late developing, but will keep me from using her, she will be part of the layer flock eventually. The later hatched 4 I am pretty sure I have only 1 pullet and 3 cockerels, so I expect to have a couple of extra cockerels available in a month or so when I feel more certain of what I have. These are nicely bred birds and have lovely color, temperament, and type so far, and it will be difficult to decide which I will keep.

Regarding breeds, I did all the research and I specifically went for Orphingtons, and ended up also getting 2 delaware as my first chicks. The delaware are/were most amusing and talkative. One I call Jumping Juniper, will jump from the pop door every morning across the yard in 3 large leaps! hilarious really. My son played a recorder for her, and she would sing with him. We had a fox problem and lost one, but have since corrected the issue with electric fence.
We also have silkies at the request of my son. We had a lot of trouble with them initially, but they originally were bred in NC. They seem really sensitive to the elevation in Bailey (Shys have done much better for us). We have toyed around with the idea of showing, but currently no one is looking very promising, and the competition is pretty stiff out there!!!
I got 2 sebrights because they were gorgeous. Since we have eliminated the jerk rooster from the flock, his brother has stepped up, fulfilling his role as a dream, really!! ....
I thought I had a perfect flock, until you all started talking chicks this spring. So, chicken math took over. I wanted speckled sussex and jersey giants. I never got my sussex. We got 2 black jerseys, 2 white cochins, and a marans. (my son was getting a little chick happy, and I didn't say No! Imagine that!!
I ended up with a rooster jersey, and he is blossoming into adolescence. My sebright keeps him in check for the most part, being part of the newcomers. As the jersey tries to mate with a member of my original flock (successfully, usually) the other girls come running to aid in the rescue, and he runs off! If a girl is complaining, sebright will even come to the rescue. I like that he is submissive to the original flock and I hope it stays that way.
As I watch my flock now, I love the color variety. I didn't know what I was missing- Black, white, buff... I've heard people talk about color in the yard, but now I get it!!!

Back
Top Bottom