Colorado

Trial by fire, right? I'm currently working through reading all the basics. I just didn't want to care for them inadequately because I haven't gotten to that chapter yet and yeah I'm more than a little overwhelmed. Again, thanks everyone.

They are like any other pet, How we treat our pets, what we are willing to do for our pets is very different. I know there are people who cook a meal every night for there dogs and others who let them roam free. The basics are that you make sure they have clean food and water, a clean coop, room to move and get fresh air, heat or cooling when they need it, meds when they are sick, and pick up eggs. After that it is up to you how much you spoil them, they can be a great source for entertainment if you take the time to learn there personalities. With work they can be very lovable and friendly if they are not already. The good news is that I a sure all of your chickens are cold hardy but I look forward to those pictures.

You have a lovely flock, I would say you are off to a really good start! Just read up as much as you can, and you will find out what will work best for you and your circumstances. Happy chicken keeping!
X2, they all look healthy and happy. The basics are all you need to worry about for now. Fresh water daily. If you feed dry and have a multi-pound feeder you can fill as needed, and give treats as you have them available and have the time to offer them. Close them in at night, open the pop door in the morning at or before dawn depending on your schedule. If the coop bedding is deep litter shavings, add a fresh layer every so often. I just did my pre-winter cleaning on the main coop, where I remove 2/3 - 3/4 of the bedding and put in a fresh bale of pine shavings. From now until spring, I'll add a fresh inch or two about once a month, and stir or toss in some scratch or sunflower seed to make them stir it searching for the treat seed and grain.

Keeping chickens should not be a hassle and doesn't have to be. You can have as much input as you wish, but the basic needs are water, food, and secure shelter. The reward is fresh eggs from chickens kept in far better conditions than any producing the eggs you can purchase in the grocery store. Wash/rinse the eggs before using under water slightly warmer than the eggs - they don't have to be washed before storage, just before use. Eggs will keep in the refrigerator more than a month. Extras are usually appreciated by friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, fire stations, soup kitchens, etc.

Keepers have/will all lose chickens from time to time. It is rarely controllable, always sad, and to be expected.

The biggest threat is chicken math. As one becomes increasingly attached to the idea of keeping chickens and widening the variety of eye candy, "just one more" becomes an ever-present thought. You have been warned.

:)

The biggest threat is chicken math. As one becomes increasingly attached to the idea of keeping chickens and widening the variety of eye candy, "just one more" becomes an ever-present thought. You have been warned.

:)
I think chicken math already affected her ex, there is one more chicken then allowed in Denver. I will take the gorgeous EE, just kidding. I doubt you will be given any grief for it, it is a very good flock and the EE has great coloring. I also love the one of the of the chickens fluffy butt, that is because it is what I call mine.
thumbsup.gif

I think chicken math already affected her ex, there is one more chicken then allowed in Denver. I will take the gorgeous EE, just kidding. I doubt you will be given any grief for it, it is a very good flock and the EE has great coloring. I also love the one of the of the chickens fluffy butt, that is because it is what I call mine.
thumbsup.gif

Looking at all of the photos on the site, I think that I am getting it too.

Trial by fire, right? I'm currently working through reading all the basics. I just didn't want to care for them inadequately because I haven't gotten to that chapter yet and yeah I'm more than a little overwhelmed.  Again, thanks everyone.

I think you'll find chickens to be fairly easy, once you have a routine. I go out once in the mornings to fill the food and check the water, and the chickens are on there own for the rest of the day. We mostly go out in the evenings just to watch them, and check to see how they're looking. Egg collecting is done at different times, since the ladies never lay all at once, or even at the same time every day.
The biggest thing will be fixing their coop, and preparing for winter. The best thing for winter help are the heated dog waterers, frozen water is not fun.

Good point Ashdoes. I have waterers with heated bases, and I like that they stay unfrozen, but they are a pain in the neck to refill. wsmith made his own waterer anti-freezers with pie tins and light bulbs, as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom