Colorado

Looking for a good home for this little guy. He's about 10 weeks old. Buff Silkie/White Leghorn Cross. Very sweet, and hand raised but protective of his girls. He is bantam sized, has feathered legs and a cream/light buff coloring with one black tail feather. Located in Littleton, or can maybe make other arrangements. Please help!

Hi fellow Colorado BYC! I am a newbie. I'll be stalking this thread and others until I get the hang of things. I have a coop and brooder all set and ready for chicks. I want to start off my flock with RIR and Buffs. What are your thoughts about buying from local feed stores? I'd like to mail order but I only want to start with approx. 20. Any advice or direction is more than welcome :)
frow.gif

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!

I know there are differing opinions on this, but all of my girls are from local feed stores. I have been lucky and have always ended up with pullets. I've only ever lost one (out of 12) to sudden death. If you're just starting out, it's a great (and inexpensive) way to get started.

That being said, however, if I'm ever in the market to add to or replace my flock (mine are a few years old, now), I would like to check out some of the local breeders.

Good luck!

Anyone else getting the 2014 seed catalogs yet? I have my seed bin out, going through what I think will grow at this altitude. My summer squash did ok last year, but nothing like I had at a lower altitude, they also seem to like hotter temps. Corn is out here, no way is the season long enough. I did find a smaller type watermelon I may try, and some smaller cukes. Is a challenge for sure, but I do love a good challenge!

We grow corn at 8600. Now, it is not the midwest knee hi by the forth of July, but we get a harvest. Quinoa does well and amaranth.

Quote:
Almost all of us started off with feed store chicks or hatchery chicks, and depending on your purpose for them that can be fine. I am hoping to have some nice heritage-bred RIR in the near future, can't say I know anyone with Buff Orps right now but I am working on some eggs from a breeder who may include some Buff Orp eggs, just going to be a hens' choice shipment of eggs next week. I set some of their eggs last month and had a decent hatch for shipped eggs in January at this elevation, so going to try some more.

When you get chicks that are hatched from eggs laid here by hens raised here, your odds of a thriving flock generally improve. That said, I have raised many hatchery chicks that do perfectly fine here, and they lay well.

Anyone else getting the 2014 seed catalogs yet? I have my seed bin out, going through what I think will grow at this altitude. My summer squash did ok last year, but nothing like I had at a lower altitude, they also seem to like hotter temps. Corn is out here, no way is the season long enough. I did find a smaller type watermelon I may try, and some smaller cukes. Is a challenge for sure, but I do love a good challenge!
I'm getting them. Baker Creek is one of my favorites too. I also like Botanical Interests, Seed Saver's Exchange, Jung (for the trees), and Southern Exposure. Have you tried any of the short season corn varieties? Candy Mountain Sweet Corn is 70 days. Some of the Canadian heirloom corn is even shorter season, if you can get your hands on it.
I already have onions starting from seed, and will be starting my superhots and brassicas here in a couple more weeks. I'm focusing on tomatoes this year, since last year I only had enough to can a couple batches of salsa.
I agree with Pozees about local for most standard stuff. I shop at Fox's Garden Center here in Pueblo for a lot of my stuff. Their bulk seed is only .70 a scoop, and for large seed such as beans, peas, and corn, you get WAY more for your money than the tiny seed packets. They also sell better fruit tree varieties that are late-blooming to beat the frost. Botanical Interests is a Colorado based seed company with over 600 varieties, many of them organic, and they have a really good selection of herbs. I know they have seed racks at different places, but if you're interested here's their catalog to download.
https://botanicalinterests.com/img/site_specific/uploads/BIConsumerCatalog2014_optimized.pdf

oh me too! I have already placed my seed order, and the catalogs are so fun to look through!

Back
Top Bottom