Colorado

No, they're local eggs. I've given up on shipped eggs, too much money to spend on little to no hatches, especially at this altitude. Seems to me to be a waste of money. I've tried shipped a few times and have gotten zero to hatch, you just don't know what happens to them in transit. Or, I'm just doing something wrong, but considering I can do local and quail, I'm guessing it's the shipping part. Plus, it's nice to support local folks, and cheaper! But I will be getting rid of some of the chick's I get, I just bought 14 chick's a few weeks ago, lol, and I can't have that many chickens, unless I bribe the neighbors with free eggs lol. Or the entire neighborhood!

No, they're local eggs. I've given up on shipped eggs, too much money to spend on little to no hatches, especially at this altitude. Seems to me to be a waste of money. I've tried shipped a few times and have gotten zero to hatch, you just don't know what happens to them in transit. Or, I'm just doing something wrong, but considering I can do local and quail, I'm guessing it's the shipping part. Plus, it's nice to support local folks, and cheaper! But I will be getting rid of some of the chick's I get, I just bought 14 chick's a few weeks ago, lol, and I can't have that many chickens, unless I bribe the neighbors with free eggs lol. Or the entire neighborhood!

Yep, understand about the shipped eggs. Hmmm, well with that many hens you might be able to bribe your closest neighbors with fresh eggs!

Enjoying some lovely Colorado sunshine!

And how on the sunshine! My birds are all out as well, except the youngest, and even they could have gone out a little while this afternoon but I got busy in the kitchen and when I first put the little ones out I like to stay with them and make sure they don't chill. The 9 week juvies are having a blast :) Some of them I will wind up parting with, one for sure because even though it is lovely (White Silkie) it is missing the nail on the outer toe of each foot. I will try to get some pictures of that one and a few of the others I think I might sell.

I also have an adult bird I would like to find a new home for, the Blue Silkie male I've been using in pen 1 - he is a very good boy, takes care of his ladies and is very fertile, very easy to handle, he is two years old. I want to replace him with a different male. He is not show quality, was sold to me a year ago as breeder quality. I do not think his comb is what I want to keep breeding, and his earlobes have faded almost to white. I kept him because he is robustly healthy and has decent type aside from the comb, and I can send him out to free range with his hens and he keeps a good eye on them. I would be happy to give him to someone who was looking for a well-behaved male that is easy to manage.

I have considered adding Silkies many times, but have held off, as my chickens free range most of the day when we are home. I would be worried that with that big mop on top, they might not see hawks. They sure are lovely, I am sure you will find him a home with little effort, they seem to be very popular! BTW, congrats on those eggs you won on the auction!! Hope you end up with a good hatch rate!! Judy, do you feel like an expert at incubating yet with that Sportsman??? :)

I so love to watch the juvies trying their wings for the first time, flying about without leaving the ground, whoever said chickens are not entertaining...... must have never owned any! :)

We enjoyed the sunshine too! I let all the girls out to free range while I did some gardening and even took the 3 week olds out in an area of the yard that isn't in the wind. They were in a cage so I wasn't worried about something getting them or them getting into little holes in things and us not being able to get them out. I don't have an area just for them yet.

Here are some of them enjoying the sun and grass. It was their first trip outside. I just noticed in this pic, the 2 that are higher than everyone are the 2 I think are roos. Makes me think so even more now.

These are the two from this bunch that we are definitely keeping. Snowflake in the back (bantam frizzle cochin) and Gilfy in the front (bantam EE)

Last edited:
We enjoyed the sunshine too! I let all the girls out to free range while I did some gardening and even took the 3 week olds out in an area of the yard that isn't in the wind. They were in a cage so I wasn't worried about something getting them or them getting into little holes in things and us not being able to get them out. I don't have an area just for them yet. Here are some of them enjoying the sun and grass. It was their first trip outside. I just noticed in this pic, the 2 that are higher than everyone are the 2 I think are roos. Makes me think so even more now. These are the two from this bunch that we are definitely keeping. Snowflake in the back (bantam frizzle cochin) and Gilfy in the front (bantam EE) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
Bantam Cochins are fairly easy to sex around three or four weeks, not all of them, but many of the cockerals will start to show a bigger comb by that age..... Some of the boys seem to feather in slower sometimes too. They look like they are enjoying themselves!

Back
Top Bottom