Colorado

Wishing everyone a Happy Easter!!!!!
[/I

About huse hunting.
I live in Elizabeth with 10 acres (Elbert County) 10 acres only allow 30 poultry over 8 months (I have at least 40) I have more than that but not all over 8 months so I ma fine.
Yu have to read the rules really good for example I can have 4 horses but really the way pasture is it won't be fair for the land.And they tell you how many hours you should pasture as well.

When we look for house we were focus on the house first and then some land for animals, but 10 acres and you can not have all the animals you want with out going over board is not good. Now we wish we got more land and maybe a not so nice house and build a dream house with time.

We have HOA with does not help neither and we luck out with a lovely neighbour that is retire an has nothing to do with his live than complain about my dogs, my kids playground and my poultry netting.

Now we are trying to remove the HOA since in the whole cull de sac is 8 houses and 5 of us have animals.If that happens I still have to go with Elbert rules but can play a bit more (what they don see does not hurt), I am adding 1 Nigerian dwarf and 1 mini nubian in May and i am on waiting list for a Dexter cow/ heifer . Ohh boy that will send my neighbour for a spin.

Ok now to the point if you don't like it really like it don't buy it , and if you can afford the more land and live in a not so god house for awhile until you build your dream house better go for that.

-Now on the goslings , Big R in Elizabeth had them on the weekend , I manor sure I can check today in the afternoon if you want.I have to drive by while I pick son from school.

We are looking in Elizabeth mostly. We will not even look at places that have an HOA. We like the 5 acre property, it would just need a barn built and the floors refinished. The house has everything we want though.
We want a couple horses, a cow (dexter also), possibly a couple goats, and a bunch of chickens. I think we could manage on 5 acres as long as the majority of it is pasture that we can rotate. I really have no idea though since I've never done this before!

If we bought the 10 acres we would not be able to replace the house. We'd be stuck with it.

We are looking in Elizabeth mostly. We will not even look at places that have an HOA. We like the 5 acre property, it would just need a barn built and the floors refinished. The house has everything we want though.
We want a couple horses, a cow (dexter also), possibly a couple goats, and a bunch of chickens. I think we could manage on 5 acres as long as the majority of it is pasture that we can rotate. I really have no idea though since I've never done this before!

If we bought the 10 acres we would not be able to replace the house. We'd be stuck with it.

Unless you have water rights/ irrigation, you will not be feeding your animals on 5 acres, or even 10 acres for that matter. You will be feeding hay with turnout, except for a short spring grazing time. It would have to be an exceptional bottomland pasture to get away with full-time grazing. Colorado being what it is. IMHO

Yes, you won't be able to pasture in 10 acres. We have 3 horses now and they have been lock since Dec and still in. irrigation is a must even with the 4 -8 hours you are allow to pasture I think you will kill the pasture on your first season.
More me this is all new as well I came from Peru, I am from the mountain we have pasture all year long high as your waist and when I came here and got my horses I had to hit hard when I realize it was not happening my animals won't be eating much of green other than hay, still hard for me to get use to this.

Sadly, most meadows in Colorado are dry pasture land, unless you have water rights and can irrigate. Five acres could be doable with two horses, you would have to limit their time out on pasture, and suppliment feed them every day, and you have decent soil. Grass does not grow well in sandy soil, so check out the soil too. The 40 acres would be ideal for two horses and a small cow, and if you wanted to get goats down the road. Also, different areas in Colorado have different grass growth. Is the land on the side of a hill? Probably most the rain and snow will run off it. Is it bottom land, then most the moisture will stay there. Lots to consider!! You will know when you see it if you really like it or not.

Big R in Elizabeth will be getting more Geese shortly. They will be Chinese. They are part of a special order and not all are spoken for. I think it was samr that was looking? Thought I would post to let you know.

I definately appreciate all the help with looking for geese. Who knew it would be so hard to find geese of the same age. I made it to Murdochs in littleton and picked up their last two. They look to be the same age, give or take a day. One of them has a piece of tape on one of their legs. Does anyone know what this means? Again. Thanks for the help.
I moved the geese to their own brooder and my original one is quite freaked now. She is doing some serious squeeking now.

Back
Top Bottom