Colorado

Quick question for everyone..how much would you pay for one of these treadle feeders? I'm looking for a project for my father-in-law, and this seems like something people would actually be interested in.
Thanks

Good question. Last feeder I bought was one of those 11-pound hanging feeders, and I think it was $22? The one you have pictured would be worth that and more, I would think at least $25, possibly $30? Maybe I'm way off, what are other people selling them for, do you know?

Good question.  Last feeder I bought was one of those 11-pound hanging feeders, and I think it was $22?  The one you have pictured would be worth that and more, I would think at least $25, possibly $30?  Maybe I'm way off, what are other people selling them for, do you know?

I can't find them anywhere. These would cost just under forty to make. Haven't even found one on craigslist.

There used to be a guy that sold them on craigslist but I didn't see them this time when I looked. I don't remember what he used to sell them for though. There are the plans for sale on craigslist for $8 right now.
I personally wouldn't buy one now that we don't feed dry food, and it makes me worry that the little chicks wouldn't weight enough to open it and if they were eating when a big girl was and then she hopped off, they might get caught by the lid.

If someone wasn't going to have a mixed flock though, I think these are cool.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them for $40-45. Doesn't sound like that would allow any profit though.

I agree the broody raised chicks are much more feral, it's kind of a trade-off - you get chicks you can't catch that know how to stay alive. As they get older and recognize you as the food-bringer, they'll get better.

x2 My broody raised have calmed down so much in the past two years that you can't tell them from any others now. In fact, the hen is very treat oriented and the roo, although not pettable, does not get into my space. Not sure if the roo's personality is related to the raising or if he is just a very nice roo.

-

Anyone need an olive egger roo? I have 2 I would like to re-home. They are well handled and friendly, I just hatched too many. These were born end of January 2014.

Dad was a Blue Copper Marans, mom was an Easter egger. :) PM me if you'd like one . Wendy

In case anybody in Colorado is looking for some Swedish Flower Hens-I had some shipped to me last week. I ordered more than I need for safe shipping so have posted the extras for sale: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/894332/swedish-flower-hen-chicks-denver-co
Oh my! Those are definitely on my "must have some day" list. Unfortunately, I'm already over my limit on chickens. :-( (But I really REALLY want them.)

We just bought 40 acres in Kiowa, though, so maybe I'll be able to add to my flock soon. :)

Is this the "year of the broodies"? My Austra-White has gone broody for the second year in a row. (She went through this phase just 8 months ago!) And now I have a Salmon Faverolles gone broody, as well. I "would" try to get fertile eggs or a couple of chicks to put under them, but again...I already have too many. What's a backyard chicken-keeper to do??? I just want the eggs for now. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom