Colorado

I wanted to share this because I thought this was so cute. My duck and chicken are both broody and rather then take their own nest box, they've decided to share one together. So when one gets up, the other sits or they both cram themselves into one, they are sitting on 6 eggs that I got for them.

SO many have Roo's but not many as beautiful as yours, great name too!
I'm going to have to kill him I think
sad.png
too many roosters in this world. No one wants him.
It's a bummer because I didn't want roosters so I paid for pullets from Meyer Hatchery. I got 5 roosters our of 20 'pullet' chicks.

Last edited:
Question for incubating experts. I've got eggs going now, and some shipped eggs coming in at about day 10. How do I handle lockdown while keeping the humidity from drowning the second set of eggs?

Question for incubating experts. I've got eggs going now, and some shipped eggs coming in at about day 10. How do I handle lockdown while keeping the humidity from drowning the second set of eggs?
on the high altitude thread there was talk of keeping the humidity at 50-65% for the entire incubation including the hatch. That would solve the problem of raising humidity at the end.

It really depends on what style of hatcher you have. Lots of factors come into play! You could for instance nestle each hatching egg in a damp paper towel to only locally raise the humidity at each egg, then not really try to change the humidity level.

What elevation are you at? If you are at EL4800 the increased humidity might help the other eggs.

If you know of areas in the bator that hold better humidity levels, then you could move them accordingly.

If you have a full top lift, then you could try putting all of the hatching eggs in the space farthest from the side you open and try to only open that side, then place a water bin with towels in between the incubating eggs and hatching eggs. Then when you turn the incubating eggs the hatching eggs will stay a more constant humidity level. You could even mount a towel on the top of the bator that will rest in the bin to further segregate and maintain the humidity levels for the hatchlings. Then make sure that the vents are open more in the space with the incubating eggs.

There are lots of things that could be changed, so if you could give us a better idea of the items above, maybe we could work together to give you ideas.

on the high altitude thread there was talk of keeping the humidity at 50-65% for the entire incubation including the hatch. That would solve the problem of raising humidity at the end. 

Absolutely!

Here's the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/194395/hatching-at-high-altitude

I'm going to have to kill him I think
sad.png
too many roosters in this world. No one wants him.
It's a bummer because I didn't want roosters so I paid for pullets from Meyer Hatchery. I got 5 roosters our of 20 'pullet' chicks.

It would be so sad to kill him, but I know why. I am lucky to not be in trouble for my girls, no way I could get away with a Roo. Try to give it a little time, He looks like a silver laced Polish. You might try a swap, I think he would be liked at one of those.

I re-posted on facebook, did not see any post there and I would like to help you save him, hope you do not mind.

Last edited:
Thanks Minchi.
I hope someone wants him. I am processing some older hens next weekend and if he doesn't have a home by then I'll process him too
sad.png

He is a sliver laced polish. I have an ad on craigslist too. There are just so many roosters now, everyone is roostered up.

Back
Top Bottom