Colorado

I do fodder, my ducks love it, the chickens take longer to eat it but finally get it the horses love it the roast to so sure jet ( I just got them and is taking them long time to get use to healty organic food)
I do barley and takes 6 pound of dry and get between 14-16 of fodder.The trick for me is to soak over night then put in a container with holes for 2 days (you still count those as days in the cycle) and on the third ay put on trays, I like it this way because then you already have some roots and can put a nice even amount on the trays.
I do sprouts for the chickens and ducks as well they both love it (only 2 days sprouts)
Fermenting di not work for me the chickens did nt like it as much but my stomach could not tolerate the smell.

I do fodder, my ducks love it, the chickens take longer to eat it but finally get it the horses love it the roast to so sure jet ( I just got them and is taking them long time to get use to healty organic food)
I do barley and takes 6 pound of dry and get between 14-16 of fodder.The trick for me is to soak over night then put in a container with holes for 2 days (you still count those as days in the cycle) and on the third ay put on trays, I like it this way because then you already have some roots and can put a nice even amount on the trays.
I do sprouts for the chickens and ducks as well they both love it (only 2 days sprouts)
Fermenting di not work for me the chickens did nt like it as much but my stomach could not tolerate the smell.

I found if I fermented processed feed (pellets, crumbles, etc) it stank and got moldy. I do a mix of fresh grains now and there is no smell and they all love it.

Don't know why not, or add to some club soda and ice for yourself?

trsturslf I will be curious to hear whether yours eat peas, mine detest them.

I'll let you know in about a week. I'm hoping if they are sprouted they'll like them better. They don't care for the dried peas but I've given them fresh peas from the garden and they like them.

You really need to do the math if you think fodder is going to save you money...If you want to do fodder as a treat, fine, but don't do it thinking that 1# of grain magically produces 6# of feed. You will starve your chickens.  If you want something green for their winter diet, you are better off buying a $6-8 bale of 3-4th cutting alfalfa with fine stems and abundant leaves.
thank you and it was very informative that is why I asked the question, all of you have a lot more experience myself.

I did fodder for a short while. I did wheat and had a hard time keeping it from molding. I read a lot of people that bleached the seeds before sprouting but I didn't want to do that.
I am glad you brought this up as I have the same concerns and think there must be another more healthy way to do this. I read this is common practice in large commercial scale.

I think your time could be spent growing a garden and tossing them the fodder scraps in the summer or dumping them out on the lawn to mow a bit.  Seems like growing fodder for them would be more beneficial in the winter when the natural greens are gone. 
We have a large organic garden full of food for them, as far as scraps go. So we have that covered!

I do fodder,  my ducks love it, the chickens take longer to eat it but finally get it the horses love it the roast to so sure jet ( I just got them and is taking them long time to get use to healty organic food)
thanks, I have been fermenting and sprouting varies items, they love all of it!

Thanks everyone for their input.

That is cool, I am assuming they are EE's? Is yours laying already? This girl, she has no name yet, is pretty shy and doesn't like tone held. I have another one who issuer friendly and follows me around, either way they are fun.
She's not laying yet.. I'm excited to see if she will lay a blue egg or a green egg.. She is an EE. Her father was a bearded EE and her mother was a silver laced wyandotte. :)

Judi,
Did you mention you had some Breese chicks a while ago, or am I thinking of someone else? I was wondering how they turned out, if you ate them or breed them?
I hatched 5, they are now living with Euarto gullible, I just saw them a couple of weeks ago and they look terrific. He wound up with, I think, 2 males and 3 females, and wants to breed them next year :)

She's not laying yet.. I'm excited to see if she will lay a blue egg or a green egg.. She is an EE. Her father was a bearded EE and her mother was a silver laced wyandotte. :)
Very likely will lay an olive colored egg.

As this storm rolled in over colorado springs today. My daughter and i had a pretty good vantage point watching it come in. The wind picked up and the chickens started walking around as it cooled off. My daughter said to me. "You know it is windy when the chickens start to walk sideways". I found this quite a funny observation. They were walking sideways. Lol. I just thought i would share. It sure is funny what kids will say and observe.

As this storm rolled in over colorado springs today. My daughter and i had a pretty good vantage point watching it come in. The wind picked up and the chickens started walking around as it cooled off. My daughter said to me. "You know it is windy when the chickens start to walk sideways". I found this quite a funny observation. They were walking sideways. Lol. I just thought i would share. It sure is funny what kids will say and observe.
love it

Back
Top Bottom