Colorado

I'm definitely interested in raising Bresse next year also. DH and I were just talking tonight about plans for a meat bird pen out behind the barn.
Big R in Elizabeth had a small pen of what I'm assuming are meat birds. They are a white bird, straight run, and separate than their other pen. They didn't have many though when I was there earlier this week. Wish I would've bought some. That would get me moving on building a pen! If anyone is near the Elizabeth area and wants to split an order I might be able to convince DH to let me order some. It's the shipping cost that makes it pricey to order them. An order of 50 black broilers from Meyer would come out to $3+/bird. They say they process around 13 weeks so that would be mid Nov. They are sold out of their red rangers that process in 11 weeks.

Trsturself- my bf and I just wrapped up discussion tonight. I'll go in on 40 meaties :)

Getting the guys to clear off the raised garden bed area and put up the chain link and chicken wire, and I have a coop ready for pick up and brooder boxes ready... medicated chick starter here. Ready??

On Craigslist some rangers for $2.50 each, discount at 50 available Aug 20. But I don't want to lose a week amount of growing time. If big r has meaties, does someone want to do that? By the time they are processed it'll be time for hatching eggs, or any baby chicks to be feathered out and hardened off for winter and the fancy pimptastic coop built adjoining the current coop/run.

Getting ready for bees. Just got in my order of 1/2 angus grass fed beef. Need to get an additional deep freezer for these meat chickers. Get my garden patch ready for spring planting yes!!

On Craigslist some rangers for $2.50 each, discount at 50 available Aug 20. But I don't want to lose a week amount of growing time. If big r has meaties, does someone want to do that? By the time they are processed it'll be time for hatching eggs, or any baby chicks to be feathered out and hardened off for winter and the fancy pimptastic coop built adjoining the current coop/run.

Getting ready for bees. Just got in my order of 1/2 angus grass fed beef. Need to get an additional deep freezer for these meat chickers. Get my garden patch ready for spring planting yes!!

I can check Big R tomorrow. Gotta clear it by DH first. I think he'll be ok with it but need to get an official ok so I don't piss him off. ;)
We have nothing but a brooder for them right now. Just had an idea... I think I could do something temporary in the barn. Light bulb!
If they are indeed meat birds and they have some left, do you want me to pick up for you? They are $2 something a piece there if I remember correctly. Possibly $1.89 but I don't really remember.

I need a freezer period! That will definitely have to be purchased if we do the meat birds. If we do get it, 1/2 or 1/4 beef is definitely the next purchase.

We'll do bees next year and we're trying to figure out a plan for the garden for spring. So much to do in a new place!!!

Allthingshomestead.com has an order of rangers coming in on the 20th. $2.25/ea
I think I'll place an order with them. They also have buff laced polish. Too bad they are straight run.

Yay! Get me a shot of the top of their heads, and I'll tell you boy or girl.
smile.png
so exciting for someone else to hatch our eggs! Those are some of the last our girls laid fertile.
EDIT: Hard to see in those second set of photos..the girls have a dark V and boys will be messy blonde splotches. Too cute!

As requested….. It took a bit for them to come out this morning so I could snap photos.

Baby 1

Baby 2

And just for giggles, here are both of them peeking out from under mom's wing

Trsturself- yes!! If big r has meaties, I want at least 25-40 of them.

On all things homesteading they come in on the 20th, and I would lose a week growing time. How many did big r have? I'm looking for faster growers anyways, to have them processed by beginning of November when it hits cold/snow time here.

I have like 3-4 bigish brooder boxes. Feeders. Waterers. Medicated chick starter. Clamp lights with new bulbs. Debating on bedding. Pine chips? Soft pine? I have 2 bales of straw in my quasi barn thing. Which is where they will go after a week or so, or as soon as I get silkies, polish, cemani, cream legbar chicks.

I saw their polish, and alllmost clicked. I kinda want show quality polish and silkies, as they're my "ornamental" chickens.. but with all my projects getting into full swing now, I don't want to breed polish.

When do polish start laying? Leghorns? Silkies? Legbars?

Debbie82- sooo adorable!!!

Back
Top Bottom