Colorado

The woman at CSU was very reassuring. Telling me to just keep calm, til we know more. But, she was honest, telling me if it's mareks and I want a breeding flock, I'd have to "get rid of anything that's been in the barn". Which nicely meant, cull all the birds, and go from there.
I'm actually pretty worried about them not eating pellets, so I'll be switching to crumble. I tried making FF again, but the birds just don't care for it.

I have also found the same thing as maggiemo with pellets. Some of my birds will not eat them either and will waste away but as soon as they get crumbles they start eating.

I have also had a few birds that seem not to thrive and lag behind others their age. I move these birds into a younger and smaller age group. Birds can also be be bullied and afraid so they just won't eat and waste away. It works most times to just move them where they feel comfortable and they pick right back up. I have a White Orpington pullet and a Jubilee Orpington pullet currenty that I moved and they are now doing great.

For those that are new to birds, just watch for any birds that always seem to be standing off to their self, kind of ruffled feathered, or hunched down. It could mean the bird is sick or just intimidated by the other birds.

Another thing that we all need to remember on the newly imported breeds is that the parent birds have been raised in a different environment and have developed immunity to the diseases there. The immunity is then pasted down to offspring. When we introduce the offspring to our environment, something that would not even sicken a bird that is generations American could very well kill a newly imported breed. It is no different if we move to a country where we have no immunity to some of the local viruses. The stronger birds will survive and build immunity. It has been hard working with the newly imported birds as they do have many faults with immunity weakness being one and not a large diversified gene pool being another. I certainly understand that it is hard to pay big money for some of these imported birds then watch them die suddenly for no apparent reason.

I currently have many of the imported English Orpingtons of which I likely had some of the first in Colorado since I have some that are 5 years old, we have had White Bresse for two years, and Cream Legbars for three years. This year I added Bielefelders. All of the breeds have had some problems but they also bring us a chance to have some lovely breeds that were beyond our reach a few years ago.

Keep us posted Ashdoes.

I too am on the lookout for a female silkie. Preferably in the BBS or white colors. Since the 4 I hatched from Pozees turned out to be 100% roos.

I'm excited that I have 7 white bresse, 8 ayam cemani, 4 haffies (ayam cemani x orpington) chicks for my meat breeding projects.

Tomorrow we go to pick out muscovy ducks yay!! 27 chickens maybe 29 will be headed to freezer camp in less than 7 weeks, all but 3 muscovy ducks will go to freezer camp in 4 weeks. I'm breeding my meat doe in 3 weeks, eating her babies hopefully 4 months from now.

I'm harvesting my special plants in a short wile, something is getting to my tomatoes. We're building another big brooder box for the barn, a bigger meatie coop and turning the current meatie coop into the duck house. Lol. Busy busy!

Hey gang, OMG! I have been swamped with harvest from garden, stacking wood, canning, baking and just getting ready for winter. I am soooo behind on posts, but have been skimming when I can.

I wanted to post some pictures of a project/collaboration we are working on with a couple different charities. So we are donating farm fresh eggs to people in need. Last week we were able to make our first donation to Harvest of Hope, they are a food pantry. We donated six dozen colorful eggs to their program and hope to donated that much in every two weeks or so. This program does not receive eggs to then pass out to the people they serve, so they are pretty excited.

Here are a few pictures, as you can tell our flock is becoming and egg laying machine, we are getting 14-18 eggs a day. I know for sure all the EE are laying, besides that I am not sure who is not laying yet. Now that most everyone is laying the girls are friendly and are eating a ton!

Happy fall to everyone and their flocks.

Okay so Arry likes mustard.... Any more last ditch suggestions? Anyone who has successfully broken a chicken who eats mustard eggs? I know what most of you will say, but I have had her for over 2 years and would prefer to not cull her, however I am also looking anyone with experience culling who can make it as painless as possible near Parker... I can't give her too long considering the cold weather coming in.

Have you tried replacing her eggs with wooden eggs? I've read that if she tries pecking them, and doesn't succeed in eating them, she'll stop. Just another idea. Sorry you have to think about culling her, especially for something so trivial...goofy chicken.
The sick Cream passed away last night. We have her in the fridge, hopefull we can get her to CSU soon.

Back
Top Bottom