Colorado

What is it with the combs freezing and losses this year??? I am wondering if it is because the weather went from super mild to FREEZING in one day??? I have had no issues with combs before, but this last week, have had a two of the new boys get frostbite! I feel bad for them........ I want to be a perfect chicken Mamma and thought I had their coop well winterized, but guess not!!!! Will be insulating for sure this coming spring/summer.

Sorry for everyones losses and sick chickens.

I wonder if you can somehow use an aquarium heater for the rabbits water, of course you will have to somehow secure a ceramic bowl to the side of the cage and secure the heater to the inside of the bowl???

Stay warm everyone, and hang in there, going to get warmer this week, but snow in the forecast this coming weekend.

Cute Polish!!!

Beautiful Welsummer hen! Wonder if she is bottom of the pecking order and was left to roost alone.

My little rooster was visibly having trouble with the cold. Every time I'd go in the barn, he's be a little puff ball just standing there. He was eating but in the evening, I would find him down on the cold ground. A part of me thought about throwing him in a crate and bringing him in the house at night but the other part was saying if you're going to use him to raise chickens, he has to be resilient and if there's something not right with the way he regulates body heat and doesn't have the fight to live, I can't use him.He had a nice easy going personality but as far as SOP, he was weaker than the pullets.

sounds like you made the right choice to not bring him in if he was intended for breeding. Cold hardiness is an important factor around here. Wonder why he had such trouble.

I feed those roosters their last meal today. Tonight I shove them in the barn with the ducks I'm not keeping to breed and hope my bf will at least kill them for me, as he's good at that part. I just can't keep up with everyone in this cold and they are eating so much!

Time to do lunchtime rounds and start snatching up roosters. And have to wait until dark for the ducks. They aren't easy to catch. I'm definitely going to have to pinion their babies wings when that happens. Only keeping Trouble, Truffle and Elvis for the muscovies. On the fence about Lilly (pretty ly brown/lavender duck with bleeding tail). Michelle and Edith, Pink and Pat (capon and half a capon) stay. (A br *barred rock* & slw *silver laced wyandotte*) Pink is a production red capon and Pat is a speckled sussex.

Reginald my ayam cemani roo that has had the crow reduction surgery ate himself silly again and is wheezing again. Lenny looks frostbit this morning agh! I'm going to bring out Vaseline when my bf gets home for lunch. When I will discuss him helping me get these guys in the freezer. The roos weren't bad to pluck at all, the drake was a different story.

Hi All - It's been a busy fall. How's everyone doing?

I need a EE Roo if anyone has one....
fl.gif

No ee roo, but a salmon favorelle x wellsummer x light brahma roo that has had a crow reduction surgery. He carries feather footed, tufted bearded terracotta egg color genes and is a super sweetheart to my mixed flock.

No ee roo, but a salmon favorelle x wellsummer x light brahma roo that has had a crow reduction surgery. He carries feather footed, tufted bearded terracotta egg color genes and is a super sweetheart to my mixed flock.
Thx but I'm really set on a EE or Seabright Roo. I'm pushing it having a Roo, but my neighbors dont mind.

Gotta chime in! I'm jealous of all you coloradoans right now! I just moved from Conifer (south of Evergreen) to Kissimmee, FL... What a mistake! Thank goodness family still lives there so I can go back for another Rockies christmas! Definitely moving back after business school.

The plus side is, I finally am living out my dream of having a couple of awesome pet chickens. I thought living on my own was gunna be more fun... But my dream of pet chickens exceeded my expectations :D

I'm so jealous of your gold laced polish (GLP), I have tried to get one for a long time. The last one we had disappeared one day. It was always able to escape the run somehow and one day didn't come back. :( We had a GLW (gold laced wyandotte) chick recently and it too disappeared. It's like we aren't meant to have a gold laced chicken.

I love the mix of gold laced girls with a silver laced roo. My daughter will love the names, she is a greek fanatic. :)
I got incredibly lucky in finding them, but I am a little worried about them escaping and disappearing on me as well. I read that they are pretty decent fliers and the smallest one has got some serious basketball moves on her. We definitely have some fixing up to do with the outside pen before they get moved out there. I was hoping for something a little easier to take care of, but sometimes you get what you need and not what you want. :)

The Iliad and The Odyssey were two of my favourite stories growing up! Your daughter has great tastes!

Hi All - It's been a busy fall. How's everyone doing?

I need a EE Roo if anyone has one....
fl.gif

I might have a 3 1/2 mo EE roo. I'm not 100% he's a boy yet though. The other EE chick I got at the time I could tell was a boy around 5 weeks old but this one is just now making me think it because of feather coloring. No red on the comb yet. If he is a boy you are welcome to him!

I'm looking to see if I have a pic of him

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom