Colorado

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Optimus-...illed-Radiant-Portable-Heater-H6010/205314136

This is similar to what I have. My coop is HUGE though. I am only able to raise the temp by about 10 degrees with it on high.
My coop is 8x14 foot. That makes it 112 square feet. With ventilation I am losing a lot of the heat but also keeping moisture down.
Peace of mind for me but they probably do not need it.

I got mine at the second hand store for about 12 dollars.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Optimus-...illed-Radiant-Portable-Heater-H6010/205314136

This is similar to what I have. My coop is HUGE though. I am only able to raise the temp by about 10 degrees with it on high.
My coop is 8x14 foot. That makes it 112 square feet. With ventilation I am losing a lot of the heat but also keeping moisture down.
Peace of mind for me but they probably do not need it.

I got mine at the second hand store for about 12 dollars.
Thanks for showing me the exact product. Very appreciated. Do you have it somewhere that the chickens can't get to it, or do they seem to leave it alone?

So far they leave it alone. I do have it on pavers so it sits above the shavings. No need to risk a fire. I like that it has the tip over turn off feature. It gets hot but not fire hot.

I've posted before, but not a lot.  I'm in Buena Vista, directly east of the Collegiate Peaks Range.  We ended up with about 4 inches.  So far no wind, but it will come --- always does.  COChix, I have about 12 welsummer hens and 5 roosters.  I know, I know I don't need 5.  One is the father of all the other males.  This next spring I will hatching out more wellies.  I usually hatch them every other year.  I have several years of hens. Personality wise they are pretty laid back.  I do have one that I call Miss Spazz.  And no -  I have not used her to breed with although she lays really dark eggs. 

Suncatcher - How is Mr. Lavender doing??

Pretty country up there, had an uncle that used to run the Arkansas river, he was a rafting guide. i spent some time in Buena, and yes super windy up there. Interesting, our two are am little flighty as far as trying to catch and hold them. One is a little more outgoing, she is one of the roosters favortires, as evidenced by her saddle sores. Can you post some pics of your girls? Ours are from a hatchery and just curious to compare to others.

Is there a temperature point where you bring your birds inside your house? If not, what do you use in the coops for heat that gives you peace of mind when temps are in the negatives?

We do not bring the chickens in the house, unless they are injured while we nurse and tend to them. Last cold snap, I used two Infared heat lamps in the coop and the result? One of our Welsummes got frostbite one her comb. This is my first winter with chickens and I over reacted thinking "my babies have got to be warm". The issue isn't so much the cold temps as it is issues with humidity in the coop. After chatting with a few people who raise chickens in Alaska, most of whom do not heat their coops, I decided only to use if it is sub zero and I mean like -5 or colder. The issue is the drastic changes in temp between the coop and outside, the chickens have a harder time adjusting to the cold. That is when our girl got the frostbite, warmer coop with higher humidity (from the heat lamps) and then going out into the sub zero cold. Hers seemed bad as she bled a lot from her comb, we had to bring her inside to let it coagulate and then we cleaned it up and put Blu Kote on it and put her back with the flock. Luckily she doesn't appear to have any permanent damage from it.

Just my two cents from my recent experience.

Last edited:
Quote:
Mr Lavender is doing well, he is out with the flock. How old is he? Wondering if he will get more attitude with the girls, he is pretty low on the pecking order.
Is there a temperature point where you bring your birds inside your house? If not, what do you use in the coops for heat that gives you peace of mind when temps are in the negatives?
Mine stay out all the time, we had minus 10 last night, was 20 in the coop, everyone was fine. This coop is insultated, but ventilated, so is not air tight, that is when I had trouble with combs feezing. Our roosters stay in an area that has an open front, their combs have had no frostbite. Chickens are very hardy, they have tons of feathers and then and under coat too.

Quote: Agree, if you move them inside and then outside I would think they could get sick easier fromt he difference in temps.......

We would probably start with 25 meat birds. We are trying our hand at going organic and free-range. Can we order the birds without antibiotics? We supposed to close on the house on the 16th of January, so excited. We found the plans for the chicken coop we want and just purchased those this past week (nice Xmas gift for us). We're looking at raising Satin Angora rabbits too, perhaps some Mohair goats, and alpacas. Debating on a Mini Hefer and Steer for milk and Meat, as well as a pig, and buffalo. A little at a time....Kids want horses, but waiting until they are a bit older.

We want to keep our ag status (the property was grazing area for a larger farm, before it was subdivided) and not sure what we need to do so. Do meat birds count toward keeping our Ag Status or do we have to do larger domestics?

If you all have any tips on how best to divide up the yard that would be great. We also have 5 dogs, 2 Cats and 2 kids, 1 Holland Lop Rabbit, 1 Cockatiel and we love to garden (planning on integrating the chickens into it). Can you tell we love animals? Always wanted to have a mini-farm, finally seeing that dream come true.

Happy holidays Swift... Mini farms are great! Glad your dream is coming to fruition
celebrate.gif
I'd love a mini cow for milk (I LOVE milk!), but am scared of the cost of maintaining it and the daily work involved with milking it
ep.gif

As for the AG status, I am no expert, but don't think the number or types of animals you have on your property determine that... I believe that is determined by the city/county zoning department and any PUD documents associated with the subdivision/platting of the land. Typically when farm land is subdivided out and platted, the zoning on it changes from ag to residential, UNLESS the subdivision is specifically set up to be "mini farm" type properties (typically larger than 1 acre), and then the PUD documents might (typically) stipulate the numbers & types of animals allowed.

For example, where I live (1.5 acres) I am allowed (near as I can remember) 1 AU (animal unit) per 1/2 acre, so can have 3 AUs on my property. A cow or horse counts as 1 AU. I believe 1 AU here could also be: 2 pigs, 6 goats/sheep, & I think 20 chickens/ducks/geese. My area was developed over 25 years ago and most of the residents are long time owners, so nobody really "follows the rules" to the letter here as long as you keep thing up and looking decent. You would really need to read the PUD documents for the property you're buying to be sure.

Last edited:
We would probably start with 25 meat birds.  We are trying our hand at going organic and free-range.  Can we order the birds without antibiotics?  We supposed to close on the house on the 16th of January, so excited.  We found the plans for the chicken coop we want and just purchased those this past week (nice Xmas gift for us).  We're looking at raising Satin Angora rabbits too, perhaps some Mohair goats, and alpacas.  Debating on a Mini Hefer and Steer for milk and Meat, as well as a pig, and buffalo.  A little at a time....Kids want horses, but waiting until they are a bit older.  

We want to keep our ag status (the property was grazing area for a larger farm, before it was subdivided) and not sure what we need to do so.  Do meat birds count toward keeping our Ag Status or do we have to do larger domestics?

If you all have any tips on how best to divide up the yard that would be great.  We also have 5 dogs, 2 Cats and 2 kids, 1 Holland Lop Rabbit, 1 Cockatiel and we love to garden (planning on integrating the chickens into it). Can you tell we love animals? Always wanted to have a mini-farm, finally seeing that dream come true.  

Yeah, congrats and how exciting. Totally want a mini farmett (doubt that is a word), anyhooooo, we are looking at possibility of adding turkeys, maybe a goat, piglets and hopefully some BCM and OE chicks to add to our laying flock.

Like Late said, Ag status is decided by county, you should be able to look up online what animals your county is zoned for and allowed. We have dual zoning and we can have up to 50 chickens, turkeys, pigs, goats, etc.

Last edited:
We want to keep our ag status (the property was grazing area for a larger farm, before it was subdivided) and not sure what we need to do so. Do meat birds count toward keeping our Ag Status or do we have to do larger domestics?

If you all have any tips on how best to divide up the yard that would be great. We also have 5 dogs, 2 Cats and 2 kids, 1 Holland Lop Rabbit, 1 Cockatiel and we love to garden (planning on integrating the chickens into it). Can you tell we love animals? Always wanted to have a mini-farm, finally seeing that dream come true.
It's very simple to maintain ag status. If you only use it to graze livestock, it's still ag. If you raise chickens and sell the eggs, it's still ag. If you have one alpaca, shear it and harvest the fiber, it's still ag. It opens the door to abuse how easy it is. Check with the county to see if there is an acreage requirement.

How big is the property? Location of existing structures? Slope? If you can pull up an aerial view that would help.

We will have 10 acres, no structures yet - just the house (we will be building those as well as adding trees/landscaping). It's currently zoned Ag. It would be in Elbert County.

Back
Top Bottom