Colorado

Wow!  That would be amazing!  Let's hope for Heritage and all get a few.   

You were right from the get go....it was a Giant White which is a commercial breed. I guess I had the heritage girl confused with the broody and it wasn't a heritage breed that hatched. Anyway, still amazing to me the size of the bird!

@emptynesters970 Both of our Buff Orph roo's had frostbite on their combs last year. I did nothing at first to the combs, after about a month, I started putting on a homemade salve. Both recovered just fine, one did loose a few tips off his comb.

@Percheron chick Have your pullets from our hatch started laying yet for you? If so what color of eggs do they lay? Also you have any pictures of them now?

Last edited:
Hello neighbors,
Been in Texas for too long. Was a bit over one year, but seemed live forever. Glad to be home and spending Thanksgiving in my home and eating a small feast with family. Good to be home.
Wife has been caring for the birds. Son had part of the flock as well. Most of the girls molted six weeks or so ago. They all seem to have recovered well. Now the flock is all back together in my backyard, but they seem opposed to laying. I've heard from a couple of others local folks who have low production as well. Anyone know whats going on? I had to buy eggs yesterday, very sad.

I understand the pain Camp Leader. Mine are done molting as well and the old gals are not back to laying. I have 14 that are young yet and sadly have an egg thief in the area so am not getting many either. I am chalking it up to the short days we are in now for the old ladies.

We have 14 hens in Englewood - 3 three year olds, 4 - eighteen month olds and 7 pullets. We are getting 3-6 pullet eggs a day. Sure we just moved everyone last week. Before the move, in Boulder were getting 3-4 eggs a day from the eighteen-month-old's and 4-6 pullet eggs a day (we had a broody pullet not laying).

We have 3 layers in Boulder that are eighteen months and we are getting 1-2 eggs a day from them.

I attribute it to the shorter days, the fact that some girls have gone through their first hard molt this fall and of course we do not light our coop. We do believe that they naturally slow down in the winter and want to keep it as natural as possible.

Integration/Relocation update - everyone is adjusting to their new digs and new flock mates through the split run and coop. Our young pullets have been hell bent to lay in the nest boxes on the other side of the coop. They go over and lay, often they go back to their side and do not bother the other flock. Silly girls.

A few shots of the flock.....

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to get copper tips for the water nipples? A friend told me with a heated water bucket and copper nipples tips that the nipples would be less likely to freez. Does anybody have any thoughts or comments on that?

Copper is a better electric conductor than iron or steel, but as far as conducting heat? IMHO Any of those metals would be virtually identical. Any difference would be indistinguishable.

Does anyone know where to get copper tips for the water nipples? A friend told me with a heated water bucket and copper nipples tips that the nipples would be less likely to freez. Does anybody have any thoughts or comments on that?

Glad you found the thread! Welcome to the Colorado thread. My understanding of the vertical nipples is they freeze. I have seen threads where people have wrapped their waterer in insulation and that helped.

How many bids do you have and breeds?

Back
Top Bottom