Colorado

megshenhut, suncatcher, klbcos, and anyone else interested of course
[TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD]
[TR] [TD]Amount Due[/TD] [TD]$230.06[/TD] [/TR]
[/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR]
So approximately $20 each. Can you raise the turkeys with the chickens but provide them with their own roosts? Or should they have their own coop/run? [/quote I seen some people having success with a mixed flock, but due to a blackhead risk, feed requirements, the size difference and possible bullying issues I plan on keeping each species apart. Our ducks have their own space and it is easy to tailor fit each birds needs.

Our roo lost all the tips that turned black....
Most of his tips have gone back to the red-reddish colour, but there is definitely one that the very top is still black and just underneath it is starting to go see-thru - that's the one that I'm pretty sure is going to fall off. It was just a little shocking how fast it set in (or how unobservant I am now). I'm glad I knew enough from being on here last winter to know how to handle it and try to correct it.

@Double Kindness I ordered my harness from Jeffers and they did have the indoor bird diapers there also. I'm not sure about the prices there, though. I bought the harness from them because other items I needed were cheaper there and the harness and leash together were under $10. Crazy K Farm also does diapers, but I have to say that they haven't been very responsive about the hen aprons I got from them being the wrong size. I had to pay postage to send them back for an exchange and have heard nothing from them since (this was back in September-October) other than an email at the beginning of November letting me know that they received my returned items and it takes 3-5 business days to process. I was supposed to be getting an exchange. IDK Might have better luck than me with them. :)

Quote: [/quote
I seen some people having success with a mixed flock, but due to a blackhead risk, feed requirements, the size difference and possible bullying issues I plan on keeping each species apart. Our ducks have their own space and it is easy to tailor fit each birds needs.
I have always kept a mixed flock, I have turkeys, geese, ducks, and chickens all together, and they are housed all together, and they do just fine, plenty eggs and plenty meat, I breed for strong immune systems. Never have wormed my flocks or put that poison on them that kills mites (wood ashes to dust bath in and bio-char to keep their insides tidy). Never medicated a bird, hatch my own. But again everybody has their own system, I love when I let them into the pasture they all go running to forage together, a pretty sight. Man has had a relationship with chickens for 10,000 years, that's 9,800 years without toxic chemicals.

I have always kept a mixed flock, I have turkeys, geese, ducks, and chickens all together, and they are housed all together, and they do just fine, plenty eggs and plenty meat, I breed for strong immune systems. Never have wormed my flocks or put that poison on them that kills mites (wood ashes to dust bath in and bio-char to keep their insides tidy). Never medicated a bird, hatch my own. But again everybody has their own system, I love when I let them into the pasture they all go running to forage together, a pretty sight. Man has had a relationship with chickens for 10,000 years, that's 9,800 years without toxic chemicals.
We use a bus for a coop. The ramp is rather long and somewhat steep. The opening is large enough I believe for the turkeys to come and go but can they get up the ramp. Will they roost in the coop - from your experience? I have read that turkeys like to roost outside in good weather. Should I build a covered roost bar that also protects from the prevailing wind. We don't have any trees to speak of. We are on the prairie. What about feeding turkeys with the chickens? Any wisdom you can pass on would be great as we make the decision to get turkeys.

OK, on a totally different subject, just saw this:

Issued by The National Weather Service Denver/Boulder, CO

Mon, Dec 14, 9:33 pm MST
  • ... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 2 PM MST TUESDAY...
  • THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 2 PM MST TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

So it's been changed from an advisory to a warning... Hope y'all are ready. I think I'm going to turn my heater up a little now because just reading it is making me cold.

@coop410silkies My first winter with chickens last year, my Sebright rooster lost a couple tips on his comb. Unfortunately for him, I hadn't figured out the whole humidity thing. I hadn't planned on keeping Memnoch if he started really fighting with Odysseus, but he was my first hatched chicken & I quickly realised I was going to keep him. So, Memnoch was the victim of my stupidity on humidity again since at night he's in makeshift coop inside the main coop. When I saw his comb, I realised what I had done wrong with his sleeping coop & felt kinda dumb for not thinking of that sooner. Kind of a repeating theme with my brain injury. :)

I hope I can keep him from losing too many tips because he & I have matching swoops & swirls when I put my hair up.:D

Thank you for the good luck! I'm trying to finish my degree in art history so I can stop driving myself bonkers by being an accountant for a state government agency. I was worried I would finish this 1st semester due to my brain injury, but I did it. It was rough but I made it from start to finish. Might become a historian yet.

There needs to be people who will take care of things that can't take care of themselves, whether it's people or animals. I guess I'm of the mind that if I can help, I should help. However, I'm pretty sure that's what ended me up with 11 chickens & 3 peafowl in 8 months! LOL

I am beginning to get the feeling that you ARE Memnoch's points.

Yes, there are people who are Caregivers, and they would have no purpose in life if there weren't Beings in the world who needed their care. I imagine you could call these needful Beings a gift, even.

OK, back to Memnoch, who is so obviously special: what is it you should have done but didn't do about the humidity? Is he the only bird that got frostbite, and it was because of his special sleeping coop arrangement? I think you know stuff that would help me manage my birds. you make me think that frostbite is avoidable?

I love your fascinating and beautiful flock; you seem to be doing a pictorial history of them, and I am so benefitted. Hope you get to fire your current boss who is driving you bonkers!

OK, on a totally different subject, just saw this:
Issued by The National Weather Service Denver/Boulder, CO

Mon, Dec 14, 9:33 pm MST
  • ... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 2 PM MST TUESDAY...
  • THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 2 PM MST TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
So it's been changed from an advisory to a warning... Hope y'all are ready. I think I'm going to turn my heater up a little now because just reading it is making me cold.
Thanks! I'm getting colder, too. Hope everyone keeps safe.

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Back
Top Bottom