Colorado

They are very much wild & not pets. I hope I can hatch a few eggs in a year or two to see if hand raising them makes a difference like the literature says it will. Yeah, I ended up having walking pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infection & the start of ear infections in both ears! Yahtzee! I guess you can't expect someone to care that your immune system is compromised if they let themselves get sick enough to be in hospital for a week & bring everyone they work with into contact with it, you know? Still pretty irritated since I've missed a week and a half of classes because I've been so sick. We have so much mud, too! I'll take it over the snow & ice, though. It's been nice to watch the birds wander & explore.

I hope you're feeling better after your fall! It sucks when gravity turns on you like that. :)

I am hoping you have gotten well enough to get back to your classes and job. Better than that, even.

Yeah, Gravity has taken a toll on me, but, they say it's what keeps me from flying off into space. (I am not fooled however, as I know They say that to hide the fact that They really don't know what Gravity is.).

I did get better, only to get spurred by a pair of roosters who teamed up on me. I had only my feed bucket with which to defend myself, and it was not near enough; these guys were quite willing to die attacking me. I think they believe the layer coop I was feeding is their territory and that I'm a challenger, so I guess I'll be moving them soon - or making Pho. I cannot believe how fast they are with their spurs: one hit and I've got 3 or 4 gashes up and down my leg.

I can respect that peafowl are wild; I like wild things, in fact. I like watching them - from a distance, of course. BUT ------------ you know there is there is a saying that the observer, in the act of observing, changes what he is observing. Profound, eh?

I'm sure you've tried all sorts of remedies for your infections. I used to have these myself, grew up with chronic ear infections swollen glands, and sinus infections. Don't get them much anymore, but when I do I gargle with salt and/or bicarbonate and crushed aspirin, and it helps.

Really coop410, when I was a younger man I used to really like "aspergum" for sore throats and swollen glands. Can't find it anymore. A shame really as I am just getting over those very symptoms and would have liked to have it available. I am a salt addict, but not a big fan of gargling with it, and have found salt solution virtually useless on opening/clearing my nose/sinuses.

As for those roosters (and I've had a few challenge me, spur/flog me, or attempt either/both), it seems after I beat the $hit out of them (literally!), they aren't so eager to try again for quite some time. I've found that "defending" one's self only lends credence to the rooster's belief that THEY are the dominant and therefore can be on the OFFENSE in the first place. Once they understand that I am the dominant and that THEY should be on the defense, well, lets just say the whole dynamic changes for the better. It seems to be about a 4-6 month thing for the worst offenders. If they even move toward me "fluffing up", that's grounds for me to show them once again who is boss. 10 seconds of demonstrated dominance and they move away from me like their little life depends on it, which in fact it does.
cool.png
This way I don't have to replace roosters, wait for a new one to grow out (aside from regular age replacement), or worry about making an un-planned dinner when my time was already budgeted elsewhere, and I can still have fertile eggs.

Really coop410, when I was a younger man I used to really like "aspergum" for sore throats and swollen glands. Can't find it anymore. A shame really as I am just getting over those very symptoms and would have liked to have it available. I am a salt addict, but not a big fan of gargling with it, and have found salt solution virtually useless on opening/clearing my nose/sinuses.

As for those roosters (and I've had a few challenge me, spur/flog me, or attempt either/both), it seems after I beat the $hit out of them (literally!), they aren't so eager to try again for quite some time. I've found that "defending" one's self only lends credence to the rooster's belief that THEY are the dominant and therefore can be on the OFFENSE in the first place. Once they understand that I am the dominant and that THEY should be on the defense, well, lets just say the whole dynamic changes for the better. It seems to be about a 4-6 month thing for the worst offenders. If they even move toward me "fluffing up", that's grounds for me to show them once again who is boss. 10 seconds of demonstrated dominance and they move away from me like their little life depends on it, which in fact it does. :cool:   This way I don't have to replace roosters, wait for a new one to grow out (aside from regular age replacement), or worry about making an un-planned dinner when my time was already budgeted elsewhere, and I can still have fertile eggs.

Yes, Aspergum is cool (but gone?). You know, LS, that most living things cannot tolerate high concentrations of salt (too high of an osmotic gradient), and salting is how people used to preserve their food - think hams, jerky, salmon, nuts (I'm hungry, right now) - and sterilize their cooking utensils (I swish my wok with salt, never touch it with water or detergent). Some people squirt salt solutions into their nares to get to their nasopharynx, but good manners would prevent me from mentioning that. I have friends who nebulize with stuff that would neutralize a Martian. Vicks, mentholatum, and eucalyptus should be good, too. Chickens are said to respond to Oxine. AND you can kill more things with honey than with vinegar. (Same osmotic gradient principle). Oh well, my father wanted me to be a pharmacologist, but I did not. The salt, btw, is more to kill the offending organisms than to relieve swelling and stuffiness.

Thanks for the tips on the roosters. I DID attempt to advance on these guys, with a serious intent to pick them up and show them some manners. While I was going after one, the other came around from behind me and attacked. I clobbered him with the bucket, but he was not about to be put off. One of the LS Roos came to my rescue, and we drove these guys off. These guys are almost three years old, they've made feeble attacks in the past and in general have been PITAS; i had pretty much decided I don't need them in a breeding program. I have roosters all over the place, and only the good guys get to stay. These bad guys are toast. I have to go down to the coop again to fill the water tote, but I'm going armed with with an empty feed bag and a heavy duty switch, both of which terrify them. Think I'll take Abbie with me, too. I am mad, and they are skating on very thin ice. Thanks again for the tips.

LMAO! Abbie could make a meal of one of those roos with a single bite! And if her protective instinct is there, I'm sure she'd WANT to protect you from the roo as well! Give em heII girl!

Just wanted to post we have Flemish giant rabbits for sale. Ready between March 7-12th. Also posted in B.S.T. forum. Great pets or meat rabbits. Feed conversion isnt as good, but they are large, beautiful, and laid back. For us those traits make up for the feed. $38. Neg. Pm if interested.

LMAO! Abbie could make a meal of one of those roos with a single bite! And if her protective instinct is there, I'm sure she'd WANT to protect you from the roo as well! Give em heII girl!

Alas, LS, I have trained all her chicken obsessed behavior out of her. She was born a chicken chaser from Hades and most blessedly has at last adopted them as her own. The only thing she protects me from nowadays is the mail person. She MIGHT tear into an attacking SS roo - she used to - but nowadays she lies down with them - the white and black Roos, that is - and lets them sleep and roost all over her. I cut a great juniper switch today and ran those two SS roosters ragged while she watched. Hope she got the idea. The trick is to get her to mind the roosters, not the hens; she likes the Roo's, though. None of the Roos are defensive or territorial around her, and some of the LS actually seem to be fond of her. She is good to have around, that is for sure, but she is such a girl! She is learning how to herd - not scatter - chickens, and I am impressed. We are learning together. She is better than even you (or I) might imagine.

remind me how long does it take for broody hen (moved them, she is not sitting on nest all the time) to stat laying again...

Just wanted to post we have Flemish giant rabbits for sale. Ready between March 7-12th. Also posted in B.S.T. forum. Great pets or meat rabbits. Feed conversion isnt as good, but they are large, beautiful, and laid back. For us those traits make up for the feed. $38. Neg. Pm if interested.

Oh my goodness! I love Flemish rabbits! If we weren't already up to our ears in rabbits, I would totally talk my parents into contacting you.

This is one of the group that escaped their enclosure & started living in the backyard (I refer to them as The Cult of the Five Feral Black Bunnies, even though there aren't five black ones anymore). I love rabbits. They just make me happy.

I am hoping you have gotten well enough to get back to your classes and job. Better than that, even.

Yeah, Gravity has taken a toll on me, but, they say it's what keeps me from flying off into space. (I am not fooled however, as I know They say that to hide the fact that They really don't know what Gravity is.).

I did get better, only to get spurred by a pair of roosters who teamed up on me. I had only my feed bucket with which to defend myself, and it was not near enough; these guys were quite willing to die attacking me. I think they believe the layer coop I was feeding is their territory and that I'm a challenger, so I guess I'll be moving them soon - or making Pho. I cannot believe how fast they are with their spurs: one hit and I've got 3 or 4 gashes up and down my leg.

I can respect that peafowl are wild; I like wild things, in fact. I like watching them - from a distance, of course. BUT ------------ you know there is there is a saying that the observer, in the act of observing, changes what he is observing. Profound, eh?

I'm sure you've tried all sorts of remedies for your infections. I used to have these myself, grew up with chronic ear infections swollen glands, and sinus infections. Don't get them much anymore, but when I do I gargle with salt and/or bicarbonate and crushed aspirin, and it helps.

I'm glad my chippy rooster is tiny. Even when he gets riled up, he's tiny enough for me to stand there until he realises I'm not going to let him "win" a fight or for me to pick him up & let him hang out on my shoulder for a bit. His spurs had gotten pretty sharp & would cut my legs up pretty good. I'm glad my vet offered to round them off again for me. If Odysseus was a real sized rooster, I don't know how I would react to that behaviour. Memnoch's also not a large rooster, but he is bigger & more robust than his father, so I'm glad that he's laid back & isn't aggressive at all towards me.

I suppose "wild" isn't the right term to use for them. Maybe feral is better? They tolerate me near them but handling them without a struggle is a pipe dream for me. I'm okay with them not being overly trusting of humans since I'm not. :lol: After seeing how the previous neighbour tried to treat Damien (the peacock), I'm wary of how the new neighbours would treat him. They also let their dogs run the neighbourhood & that doesn't endear them to me at all. The peahens were too expensive to let some dummy's dog kill them.

My doctor put me on antibiotics for everything, so I'm hoping that kicks in soon. Between laughing so hard I ended up with a fever at a movie this afternoon & the peafowl not wanting to be round up for the night, causing me to chase them around for about 30mims, I'm pretty sure I'm going to just die now from the coughing & exhaustion. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom