Colorado

3 hours of mineral hot springs soaking does wonders for the body and mind. Drove through snow on the way up (285 through Fairplay) but was a beautiful day for soaking. Dry roads coming home.

Has anyone had one chicken that never really joined in with the rest of the flock? I've been noticing lately that my Sumatra hen isn't really a part of the flock. She tries to roost out in the pen by herself & when I went back out there this evening to unplug their heated waterer, she was alone on one side of the coop while everyone else was crowded on the other side. She doesn't seem sick, she's just never assimilated with the rest of the flock. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen in their flock & if it ever worked itself out & the hen eventually joined the flock.

I felt really bad when I saw her all by herself like that.

Has anyone had one chicken that never really joined in with the rest of the flock? I've been noticing lately that my Sumatra hen isn't really a part of the flock. She tries to roost out in the pen by herself & when I went back out there this evening to unplug their heated waterer, she was alone on one side of the coop while everyone else was crowded on the other side. She doesn't seem sick, she's just never assimilated with the rest of the flock. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen in their flock & if it ever worked itself out & the hen eventually joined the flock.

I felt really bad when I saw her all by herself like that.

Yeah, I have a few birds that don't hang out with their coop mates. One is a pretty little male Silkie that hatched a couple of days later than his sibs, who never seemed to catch up and fit in. I do feel sorry for him. I have a black sex-link hen who is a definite loner (she prefers to be with her human benefactor), and a couple of other crosses that are loners. IMO, hens are cliquish: the Silkies stick together (but they let the big Light Sussex Roos sleep with them), the SS don't hobnob with the LS or any of the other hens in my layer coop. Might be because they were raised in separate groups, but even when raised altogether, they separate out into like colors. Kind of like laundry. There ARE exceptions, but they only prove rule. Chickens are very color-sensitive. I can get why your Sumatra stays by herself if she senses she is different. Or maybe she is one of a loner-type breed.??? Glad she is healthy.

I don't think a lone Silkie in with other different breeds will be that same Silkie in with a group of her own kind; and I know that an SS hen behaves one way when in a group of SS, and another way when by herself amongst other different breeds. This is a good subject for appraisal and speculation. Good question.

Uzi,

I have noticed that the chickens in my coop also segregate themselves. The spotted ones will hang out with other spotted ones and the tan with the tan while the solid dark or light are in their own groups. It has been very constant in my flock to see this. Chicks bought together and raised together have as adults separated.

My black hens seem to be the most sensitive about it. The Little black cochin although very small will only hang with the big black hens NEVER with the others. The BO that protects her always tries to be near her but she really could care less for the BO's company. I feel bad for that BO hen really. She and the tiny black one were broody at the same time and in the same nest. Since then the BO I am certain thinks she hatched the little black one. The two Silver Laced bantam Cochins and the little solid black do not hang out together at all. Not even at roosting time.

Weird that chickens do that but I guess it makes sense if you look at the bait fish in the ocean. All one color confuses the predators perhaps.

Just checking in with all you colorado peeps! I see some are hatching already! Cool.

Samsr, I plan on hatching in april, or if you want to hatch your own, i am hoping my Marans hens pick up soon! One egg every two weeks is no fun! I have breeder quality eggs so nice and dark. I also plan on hatching what i hope will be OE's, this color has been diffucult for me to breed.

Hmm, you might check CL for silkies, or renae is up by Ft Collins, not sure if that is close to you or not.

Camp leader welcome home!!! Glad the wife is now hooked on chickens!!!
1f600.png

Hope everyone who was sick is well again!

LS, hope you land in a chicken friendly place when you retire!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am a new member but I have been using BYC for reference and enjoyment for many years now. Not sure why I never bothered to join. Could be because I have been going back to school for the last few years. The main reason I decided to join today was that I saw a post from coop410silkies. I am currently looking for some silkies - preferably three hens and I would rather six months or older even ones ready to retire would be fine. Day old chicks are ok too, just a bit more work. I had three silkies about six years ago but had to give them up when I went back to school. I finally got my associates degree and am just working on a certificate now so I have a little more time again. My oldest son and daughter in law have full size chickens but they live on two acres, I just have a little backyard. I do sometimes raise chicks for them and that keeps me happy for awhile but I would really like some more silkies. Anyway I was wondering if coop410silkies has any older hens to sell? If not, I would be interested in finding out more about the Uni Hill Elem hatching project. I am in Boulder most every Sunday and I am up in Longmont all day on Mondays. I live close to Brighton. Anyway, I probably won't be real vocal on the forums unless I have a need but I do enjoy reading other peoples posts. Cheers to all.

Just checking in with all you colorado peeps! I see some are hatching already! Cool.

Samsr, I plan on hatching in april, or if you want to hatch your own, i am hoping my Marans hens pick up soon! One egg every two weeks is no fun! I have breeder quality eggs so nice and dark. I also plan on hatching what i hope will be OE's, this color has been diffucult for me to breed.

Hmm, you might check CL for silkies, or renae is up by Ft Collins, not sure if that is close to you or not.

Camp leader welcome home!!! Glad the wife is now hooked on chickens!!!
1f600.png

Hope everyone who was sick is well again!

LS, hope you land in a chicken friendly place when you retire!

I would be interested in 4 chucks one you hatch or buy some eggs from you to hatch. Mating thise with my blue egg layers should provide olive eggers. I have 6 blue egg layers at the moment. Only one olive egger at the moment. She is a cochin cross with a maran roo. She lays a nice dark hreen egg. One of my favorites.

Hi all,
I am a new member but I have been using BYC for reference and enjoyment for many years now. Not sure why I never bothered to join. Could be because I have been going back to school for the last few years. The main reason I decided to join today was that I saw a post from coop410silkies. I am currently looking for some silkies - preferably three hens and I would rather six months or older even ones ready to retire would be fine. Day old chicks are ok too, just a bit more work. I had three silkies about six years ago but had to give them up when I went back to school. I finally got my associates degree and am just working on a certificate now so I have a little more time again. My oldest son and daughter in law have full size chickens but they live on two acres, I just have a little backyard. I do sometimes raise chicks for them and that keeps me happy for awhile but I would really like some more silkies. Anyway I was wondering if coop410silkies has any older hens to sell? If not, I would be interested in finding out more about the Uni Hill Elem hatching project. I am in Boulder most every Sunday and I am up in Longmont all day on Mondays. I live close to Brighton. Anyway, I probably won't be real vocal on the forums unless I have a need but I do enjoy reading other peoples posts. Cheers to all.
welcome-byc.gif
Awesome that you joined!

Greetings @KanneJ and welcome to you. Glad you finally joined. Even though you don't intend to be "active", at least now if you DO feel the desire to interact... you can
smile.png
I too am in the Brighton area (Lochbuie) but I only have LF birds, so can't really help you. Hope you find the Silkies you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom