Colorado

@samsr: yes, that is how making incubators goes, isn't it. Designing these things is a creative process that is absolutely addictive. I have heard that goose eggs are challenging, duck eggs also, but less so. I will be interested to see how yours do.

thanks for the replies.  I did not explain it well, I meant 3-5 days from lockdown (18th day).   

the hatching is going so well that I will probably pull the fluffies out at 24 hours from first hatchling.    I was thinking 24 hrs maximum in the incubator.  Does that sound better?   I figure they are going to be THIRSTY pretty quickly.  

Of the 21 eggs, 15 are hatched, 6 eggs are in progress.   Maybe only 2 of them don't have pips yet. It's hard to tell.  Whew, it's been quite a day for me as a first time newbie hatching eggs.  :ya

This is a a fantastic result! Guess it doesn't hurt to worry. Don't forget to worry about pasty butt.
1f601.png
Congratulations on a good job.

Wow, Rocco is a HUNK! Too bad his disposition went to pot. At one time I would have kissed his little hunky bottom goodbye, but nowadays I'm leaning towards rehabilitation, lucky for my Roos. Everyone is going nuts with all this sunshine.

Your funnies are just too funny.
1f602.png
1f602.png
m

Thanks, well given his age his time is numbered. I am hoping to hatch and replace him with an roo we hatch out. Probably before next fall, need a new roo for bloodlines.

thanks for the replies.  I did not explain it well, I meant 3-5 days from lockdown (18th day).   

the hatching is going so well that I will probably pull the fluffies out at 24 hours from first hatchling.    I was thinking 24 hrs maximum in the incubator.  Does that sound better?   I figure they are going to be THIRSTY pretty quickly.  

Of the 21 eggs, 15 are hatched, 6 eggs are in progress.   Maybe only 2 of them don't have pips yet. It's hard to tell.  Whew, it's been quite a day for me as a first time newbie hatching eggs.  :ya
yea, what a great first success rate, can't wait to see some pictures. Given that you are brooding in a MHP there should be no pasty butt, one of the many advantages to that system. Pasty butts only happen to chicks due to heat stress. Also fermented feed also clears up any issues with pasty butt if brooding in a heat lamp setting.

Last edited:

Our big boy Rocco, he is almost two and now that he has only 3 hens to protect he has come fierce and more aggressive. He is rather big this late winter.

And some chicken funnies, figured the timing was appropriate.

Thank you for posting this, i needed a giggle and this was perfect! Scary true, but accurate lol. Just brought home 12 meaties, went in for just feed, dh said fine, get a few.... Um 12 isnt that many. They had 50 lol. I was proud of my self restraint!

Colorado Friends, HELP ! My new chicks were badly stressed their first night with too much humidity/wetness in the incubator. I moved them to a warm brood box w/heat lamp. Now I'm seeing pasty butt and 2 have died. A good friend shared her Corid/Amprolium with me, and I have medicated their drinking water already.

My question is...I am following the guidance here on many threads to very gently hold a warm wet paper towel to the butt+debris, and I do it over and over, but it doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas? I only see one more chick with the symptoms, and I tried/failed to remove the pasty stuff.

HELP !!

Jan

When I had chicks, they started with FF from day one so I only had 1 or 2 that got pasty butt. 1 was weak and failed to thrive and died, the other I started out soaking her butt in warm water to loosen it and then pinched/crushed it and actually plucked out a few butt feathers getting it off.

Colorado Friends, HELP ! My new chicks were badly stressed their first night with too much humidity/wetness in the incubator. I moved them to a warm brood box w/heat lamp. Now I'm seeing pasty butt and 2 have died. A good friend shared her Corid/Amprolium with me, and I have medicated their drinking water already.

My question is...I am following the guidance here on many threads to very gently hold a warm wet paper towel to the butt+debris, and I do it over and over, but it doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas? I only see one more chick with the symptoms, and I tried/failed to remove the pasty stuff.

HELP !!

Jan

Get some probiotics and sprinkle it on their food. Yogurt works in a pinch. Double check to make sure the brooder temp is right. If they are far away from heat, too hot. If piled up tight under the heat, too cold. Spread out here and there, just right. In a small brooder, it is possible to have them piled trying to get away from the heat. It is okay to have a colder spot in the brooder for them to be able to regulate their body temp a bit. Good luck and I hope this helps.....

Last edited:
Colorado Friends,  HELP !   My new chicks were badly stressed their first night with too much humidity/wetness in the incubator.  I moved them to a warm brood box w/heat lamp.  Now I'm seeing pasty butt and 2 have died.  A good friend shared her Corid/Amprolium with me, and I have medicated their drinking water already.

My question is...I am following the guidance here on many threads to very gently hold a warm wet paper towel to the butt+debris, and I do it over and over, but it doesn't seem to work.   Any other ideas?    I only see one more chick with the symptoms, and I tried/failed to remove the pasty stuff.

HELP !!   

Jan

Ive used a warm wash cloth, hold it against the paste, to soften it, then gently rub away. One was severe when i got it, soaked then used childrens safety scissors, round tip, to trim the feathers.This was no pain vs plucking. Took several tries to be completely clean, but after the first wash they were able to defecate. Just had to go back to finish "clean up". They can dry out under the heat lamp after bath time. Good luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom