Colorado

Just wanted to post and ask y'all to pass along to anyone who may be interested that i have 2 black Flemish Giant does left for sale. Will be ready on saturday, march 5th. Also posted to bst thread. Willing to meet for delivery. Thank you!!

Colorado Friends,  HELP !   My new chicks were badly stressed their first night with too much humidity/wetness in the incubator.  I moved them to a warm brood box w/heat lamp.  Now I'm seeing pasty butt and 2 have died.  A good friend shared her Corid/Amprolium with me, and I have medicated their drinking water already.

My question is...I am following the guidance here on many threads to very gently hold a warm wet paper towel to the butt+debris, and I do it over and over, but it doesn't seem to work.   Any other ideas?    I only see one more chick with the symptoms, and I tried/failed to remove the pasty stuff.

HELP !!   

Jan

The best thing I've used for pasty butt is a Qtip soaked in hot/warm water. Like LS, sometimes I have to crush a big hardened gunker - I use needle nose pliers - and pull it off. Cutting off with small scissors works well, too. With so many chicks to check, you have a job cut out for you. IMO, FF and probiotics are smart. Some breeds seem more susceptible to pasty butt than others. My incubated Silkies always caused me headaches.

It is always sad to lose chicks. I've lost a couple who suffocated at the bottom of a dogpile in a corner. Not all chicks are equally viable and hardy. Even my Silkies don't hatch all their eggs, and of those that do hatch, not all survive. And yes, occasionally, they have a pasty butt. In my flocks, usually only the most hardy and vigorous survive. And the smartest.

A word of caution about antibiotics: your chicks need a health promoting intestinal flora; it's important to preventing pasty butt and ensuring proper digestion of food. With a Broodie in her brooder, these flora are available to the chick right from the gitgo: not so in the incubator. When you use antibiotics, you may very well be inhibiting the process of your chicks acquiring the appropriate intestinal flora. It's why FF, probiotics, and even (live) yogurt works. Think about this.

Good luck and good work.

I moved the 16 survivors to the MHP in the outdoor coop today, and they seem very happy to be there! they are making happy chirps and eating and drinking.

About the pasty butt.... the 2 I worked with, it was INSIDE and protruding to the outside, and very HARD. I am afraid to pull too hard, as it may rip out the lining of the cloaca. then it's curtains for the baby for sure.

These babies were stressed so badly by the drenching on hatch night, that I am surprised any of them are surviving. I suppose that stress is the biggest factor in this pasty butt.

Jan

I moved the 16 survivors to the MHP in the outdoor coop today, and they seem very happy to be there! they are making happy chirps and eating and drinking. About the pasty butt.... the 2 I worked with, it was INSIDE and protruding to the outside, and very HARD. I am afraid to pull too hard, as it may rip out the lining of the cloaca. then it's curtains for the baby for sure. These babies were stressed so badly by the drenching on hatch night, that I am surprised any of them are surviving. I suppose that stress is the biggest factor in this pasty butt. Jan
Glad the remaining and doing well. Sorry for the loss of the chicks, it happens

Just as an aside, when I was raising chicks, I always went outside and took some grass and dirt from the area where they would eventually end up and placed that in the brooder with them. It does many good things for them including a little natural grit and fresh greens as well as bacteria and such from the soil to get them acclimated.

Just as an aside, when I was raising chicks, I always went outside and took some grass and dirt from the area where they would eventually end up and placed that in the brooder with them. It does many good things for them including a little natural grit and fresh greens as well as bacteria and such from the soil to get them acclimated.

Yes did this on day 3 last year. Helps build immunities, momma would have them out within a couple days.

Saw this today......

https://denver.craigslist.org/grd/5471846979.html

Anyone selling Swedish flower hen hatching eggs? I am curious about that breed.

These little Roos are interesting. Did you notice the white legs on some of the cockerels and bright yellow on the hens? Now THAT is strange. I think Papa Brooder had/has Swedish Rower hens, smallish but not dwarf. Maybe when I get my aviary built -----------------------------------------------------------

Had to put down my tiniest BA today. She wouldn't defend herself and the others had been eating her butt for months. I kept Blukoting it and had even taken her out for a couple of weeks and applied EMT gel to help it heal, all to no avail. This afternoon when checking for eggs, she had lost all her tail feathers, her tail bulb was destroyed and she had a huge hole eaten into her backside. She was all skin and bones, virtually no meat on her, she was anemic, I'm assuming from continued loss of blood, and I just didn't think it right to continue to let her be abused.

On another note, my egg eaters have decided they don't like the sloped floors in the modified nest boxes so on the first day after modification I found an unmolested egg on the floor in a corner. On the second day I found a 1/2 eaten egg on the floor in another corner, and I haven't found another egg since... Which leads me to believe they are completely devouring them, though I haven't found scraps yet to confirm this belief. I also believe that that entire group is going to freezer camp, or be sold, to be replaced in its entirety. I can't see wasting any further energy getting aggravated over it/them.

Sorry for all the grief you have had LS. It sure seems like you have tried everything to detour those egg eaters and the only thing left to do is start over.
It is a tough decision. Keep us posted.
hugs.gif
good luck.

Back
Top Bottom