Colorado

Welcome manjari!

I am pretty new as well so don't know much about breeders in the area. Looks like some people on the thread have birds though!

I was just at Jax this past weekend and they still had so many cute babies...I so wanted a Speckled Sussex but alas, no more room in the current coop, I should probably get my first group of 7 going first
1f602.png

Hi everybody! Wow, this is a long thread.

My wife Danielle and I are just getting started. We live on the Westside of Colorado Springs. Our coop/run is getting pretty close to finished! It should hold 6-8 birds, but we're planning to start with I think three. Leaning towards Buckeyes (and trying to find somebody selling them).

I do have a bit of a question regarding predators. I was feeling pretty good about the vent openings in the hutch, but then I was reading about weasels in my poultry raising book. I'm not sure we have weasels at all in this area, though. Does anybody have any experience with that? If we do, I may need to tighten up a few openings.

Thanks!
Travers

Hi, I am also from Colorado I live in a small town named Lamar. Does anyone know if you need a permit to have ducks?

Welcome to the thread, my grandparents lived in Lamar, my mom born and raised down there. Spent many summers visiting the grandparents in Lamar. Sorry can't help with the duck question, I would think you can look it up on the Prowers County website,

My wife Danielle and I are just getting started. We live on the Westside of Colorado Springs. Our coop/run is getting pretty close to finished! It should hold 6-8 birds, but we're planning to start with I think three. Leaning towards Buckeyes (and trying to find somebody selling them).

I do have a bit of a question regarding predators. I was feeling pretty good about the vent openings in the hutch, but then I was reading about weasels in my poultry raising book. I'm not sure we have weasels at all in this area, though. Does anybody have any experience with that? If we do, I may need to tighten up a few openings.

Thanks!
Travers

Hola and welcome to the board and Colorado thread. I can helip in the weasel department as haven't had any experience. I am sure someone on this board has...

Last edited:
Hi wanted to post this one more time before moving on to selling the birds....

Hi gang,

So we are looking to downsize our flock a bit, we will be selling the following birds......

2 - two-year-old layers, one Welsummer and one Easter Egger. Both are still laying 4/5 eggs a week.
3 - one-year-old layers, barnyard mix all lay brown eggs.

PM me if interested, I can also post some pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Hello!

I am new here, this is my first post. :) I'm a home maker mom of a son (9) and a daughter (5), we are each going to get to name one of our new chickens. Our coop is mostly built and I'm almost done converting an old shed into a run. I'm very excited to get our birds! We are allowed to have 6 in our city, so I built the coop with that in mind even though we plan to start with 4. I'm in Aurora and hoping to find pullets old enough to go straight to their outside house. It looks like most craigslist ads are 45 minutes or more away. Any favorite breeders near here?

Manjari

Welcome! I bet someone with pullets will chime in soon.
Welcome Duck and Swiftbow too!
Pieces of hardware cloth will keep the weasels out if you are worried, pretty sure anyway. I have not had a weasel yet that attacked, We scared them off and keep our chippy population down to bare bones. There are so many rodents out there right now...., I only time I saw them was in the drought years.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Travers

Along the front range we have two species of weasel, and along most water courses there are also mink.

Greetings and welcome to BYC and the Colorado thread @manjari108 Quite the avatar you have there, surrounded by ducks. 45 minutes away is nothing really... If you find what you're looking for, it's a one time trip. Hope you stick around and share some pics as you progress! Good luck!

edit to add welcomes to our other new members: @DuckDucks101 & @Swiftbow . Glad to have you with us.

Last edited:
So it has been a while since I have been on the site, sadly the reason for this post is one that the chicken smugglers dread... My HOA has given me a they go or we fine you in to bankruptcy letter. I am going to fight as best as I can but I also need to see if I can find a home for them if I fail.

I have 5 girls, two EE's and one SLW who are aprox 4 years old. One EE has stopped laying and the other two are slowing down. The one EE who lays about an egg or two a week lays green eggs (not deformed). The other two are a GLW and a Production Red who are only two years old. Both are solid layers.

I want to find them a home where they will not be culled unless absolutely necessary.

Arry (SLW) Is a bit of a handful, she did have an egg eating problem but I have not had an eaten egg in months, she can be a little noisy but she is the guard dog of the flock. She is a little rougher with the smaller girls. Use to like pets but now more flighty, I think with more room she would be much better but I have not been able to give them the room I would like to.

Minchi (Gold EE) when stressed can be a little bit of a bully but she is head hen, she is okay with being held and likes to be 'pet', she also is a little escape artist, She was much happier when they were free range

Zoe (Brown EE) - Flighty, but treat motivated

Starbuck (Production Red) - does not like pets, will sqwak in your face if she is unhappy, not happy about being held, can tolerate it sometimes

Athena (GLW) - Quite, lowest of the pack, likes pets, slow enough you can grab her.

My girls are quite spoiled as well.

I would love to see them go someplace close to me but accept that I am re-homing 5 chickens and that that may not be an option. I am in Parker.

Please let me know if you can help in case I can not keep them.
(Edited because I think I really am not happy about this situation, I love my girls very much and they would be good pets)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom