Colorado

I Have a RIR named Mavis. An Americuana which I think is just an EE named Holly and a Golden Comet named Nugget.

They are all super sweet and I am in love with them already. Nugget is the runt of the group and like to be held and have her head rubbed so she can go to sleep. Holly likes to be held but she is definitely a go with the flow girl. Mavis is the oldest by a cpuple of weeks I think. She has already gotten her big girl feathers. She doesnt like to be held but will stand on your hand. She is the most curious of the bunch and watches everything you do. She will definitely follow once she is allowed some freedom I think.

They are still in the brooder, though I just built what I call a compost condo. It is enclosed in chicken wire amd has a lid. They have had a couple of supervised field trips and love it. Eventually i am going to build them a tunnel from the coop to the compost pile so they can run through yhe garden and play in the compost when they want to. Need to figure out best way to cover some areas as my tomatoes are there and dont want them eating any of the plants. I am thinking of using a tarp around the wire tunnel. That way they wont get to the plants but can still get to the bugs and weeds.

I Have a RIR named Mavis. An Americuana which I think is just an EE named Holly and a Golden Comet named Nugget.

They are all super sweet and I am in love with them already. Nugget is the runt of the group and like to be held and have her head rubbed so she can go to sleep. Holly likes to be held but she is definitely a go with the flow girl. Mavis is the oldest by a cpuple of weeks I think. She has already gotten her big girl feathers. She doesnt like to be held but will stand on your hand. She is the most curious of the bunch and watches everything you do. She will definitely follow once she is allowed some freedom I think.

They are still in the brooder, though I just built what I call a compost condo. It is enclosed in chicken wire amd has a lid. They have had a couple of supervised field trips and love it. Eventually i am going to build them a tunnel from the coop to the compost pile so they can run through yhe garden and play in the compost when they want to. Need to figure out best way to cover some areas as my tomatoes are there and dont want them eating any of the plants. I am thinking of using a tarp around the wire tunnel. That way they wont get to the plants but can still get to the bugs and weeds.

Welcome. We all love photos. (Hint, hint
1f600.png
)

I wanted to come by and say hello. I am in Centennial and have my first set of chicks. Getting the coop and run set up the next few weeks but they wont be able to go outside yet. The little one is a mere 2 weeks old, the oldest maybe 4.

I figure the first winter I will have to heat their coop, though I dont plan to forever.

I look forward to reading back through the thread and talking with you all in the future.

Aimee

No need to heat your coop during the winter, chickens have a built in down coat. Heating the coop can cause further issues, think condensation = frostbite. There is a good thread started by I think someone in Alaska, no they don't heat their coop. The main thing is that the birds have shelter from the wind and that the coop is draft free. Besides that you need lots of fresh air, plenty of space, fresh water, bedding and roosts. As longs as they can roost in a draft free spot up off the ground, they should do just fine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again

:welcome

Last edited:
Hey there @aim0474 Welcome to BYC and the Colorado thread. Like COChix pointed out, no need for heat. By the time they're 6-8 weeks old, they should be fully feathered, so they'll be ready for the cold right as it starts. They'll most likely handle it better than you or I.

@aim0474 I understand about being concerned about the babies. Here is a shot of our run and coop this spring. No surprise we had snow right?

We had five day old chicks outside in the snow covered run in a dog kennel with a heat pad brooder, no heat lamp. Anyway, lots of people raise their chicks outside, some even in colder states and they never heat their coops or use heat lamps. Check out this thread....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I have raised two sets of chicks this way and will never look back, they are much stronger and healthy because of this system.

Last edited:
My little mille flure d-uckle hatched out her 11 eggs earlier this week. We have 10 left. One chick decided to get out and explore a little too closely to the test of the hens. Here are a couple pics. Tiny little ones.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I am so glad I wont need to worry about a heat lamp out there this year. Thanks!

Sweet little babies! I love the mamas coloring, she is beautiful.

I agree on not heating. Mine avoided the small sealed oil heater that hubby put in the giant coop. (the coop is 8x14)

I have little ones out with a broody hen now and she is so small she can no longer cover them at night. They are about a month old already. Seems like just yesterday I went and got chicks for her.

I love snow day pics!

Oh and I had to share with everyone that I got me a new toy!

MAMA IS GOIN RIDIN! Planning on a trip to Yellowstone next summer! This is going to be a blast to ride!

I am wondering what kind of floor you are all using for your runs?

I have read about deep litter and sand and honestly neither appeals much to me. I am worried about the smell of deep litter and worried that the sand will clump all winter long.

I just saw a post where someone used wood chips. Our city is having a free mulching event on the 17th and I could easily fill up my run!

I am going to have to add some fill dirt to my run area as it is below the fence line on that side anyhow. We had a ton of rocks back there that I wanted gone and then I never filled it back in. I also will have grass clipping and leaves and other stuff on occasion. I am giddy at the thought of all that compost for my garden!

Anyhow, has anyone used wood chips for their run in CO and how was it?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom