Colorado

I had to laugh at myself that I honestly ever thought I would mistake a peahen egg for a chicken egg. :lau  I'm worried I won't be able to fit 1 egg in my tiny Brinsea incubator!

When you said she wasn't laying yet I was going to ask what their eggs looked like, that is quite large!!
Congrats on the birds, sorry about the job :-(

Last edited:
So I picked up these little girls the other day at local TSC and was asked if I wanted to take home all remaining birds after chick days ends,
(I adopted free birds in the past). Well my husband and I went in last night and they still have about 100 chickens and 2 dozen ducks!! Hahaha chick days ends Saturday!! Told my husband he better get to building more coops....
I know more will be gone as its now buy 2 get 4 free!! I'll keep y'all posted on the final count, with my luck I'll be posting for 50 free cockerels in month, lol!

My newest GSL pullets.

Great news. I put in an offer on a house today and they accepted! One of the best parts is it has a red barn. I've always wanted a red barn. And I'll be able to get some goats right away.

I hope I'm posting properly.......Hello, I live in Denver, Colorado.....I'm staying and helping my mom raise her chickens. She lives in rural Berthoud. Near Longmont and Boulder.... I am wondering when it is safe to let the chickens live outside permanently. I hear that when they are fully feathered they can survive 30 degree temps. Can anyone tell me if this is true? And are most chickens fully feathered around 5 weeks? Thanks.

I hope I'm posting properly.......Hello, I live in Denver, Colorado.....I'm staying and helping my mom raise her chickens. She lives in rural Berthoud. Near Longmont and Boulder.... I am wondering when it is safe to let the chickens live outside permanently. I hear that when they are fully feathered they can survive 30 degree temps. Can anyone tell me if this is true? And are most chickens fully feathered around 5 weeks? Thanks.

Welcome Jsat!!
Yes once the chickens are fully feathered they can remain outside and can tolerate much colder than 30°. The thing is giving them shelter which is draft and miosture free. I currently have 15 chickens outside (with access to a coop and hen house) The youngest is 9 weeks old. It has been snowing since last night, it's 20° and about 9° with the wind chill. Although they hate being confined to coops they will take shelter when they feel necessary, but the moment the wind dies down they all start coming out, even if the temps remain below freezing.
And yes 5 weeks is average, but that can vary by bird and breed.

Last edited:
Welcome Jsat!!
Yes once the chickens are fully feathered they can remain outside and can tolerate much colder than 30°. The thing is giving them shelter which is draft and miosture free. I currently have 15 chickens outside (with access to a coop and hen house) The youngest is 9 weeks old. It has been snowing since last night, it's 20° and about 9° with the wind chill. Although they hate being confined to coops they will take shelter when they feel necessary, but the moment the wind dies down they all start coming out, even if the temps remain below freezing.
And yes 5 weeks is average, but that can vary by bird and breed.
y
I second this info, jsat , and WELCOME. I did lose one young pullet to cold and snow once, when her flockmates sat on the threshold of the run/coop pop door and prevented her from re-entering the coop. It was tragic, but sometimes that happens. Pays to count. Best of luck with your Mom's chickens!

Wow! Great! That's 3 sources I've found all saying they can handle it outside in the cold once they are feathered......it's a relief to know we are not sending them to their deaths! Thanks for the welcome!

Back
Top Bottom