Colorado

I'm not familiar with the Ft. Collins housing market, so I can't really help out there.

But
welcome-byc.gif
to Colorado!!

Quote:
If I lived closer to Ft. Collins I would certainly help out but I am about a three hour drive or so from there. I would think in Ft. Collins you should be able to find a rental that would let you keep them. Ft. Collins is somewhat of a farming community so you should have good luck. Try putting an ad on craigslist for that area that you are looking for a chicken/pet friendly rental and someone might respond.

Hey Godiva I guess we're all weird then
lol.png

Welcome to CO and BYC. I would go to Craiglist and look under the housing/apt for home rentals under the northern Colorado area. Good Luck. I would just bring your little banties with you until told otherwise
cool.png

Quote:
If I lived closer to Ft. Collins I would certainly help out but I am about a three hour drive or so from there. I would think in Ft. Collins you should be able to find a rental that would let you keep them. Ft. Collins is somewhat of a farming community so you should have good luck. Try putting an ad on craigslist for that area that you are looking for a chicken/pet friendly rental and someone might respond.

I lived in FC when going to school. Lots of rural area surrounding and it is not unusual to find a rental that allows "farm animals" within commuting distance of town. I am not aware of the "rules" for keeping chickens in the city limits. Call the Chamber of Commerce on that so that you can converse knowledgably with landlords. Good luck!

Would anyone like some Norwegian Jaerhon hatching eggs? I have a bunch this spring and it is a little early to be trusting the weather for shipping. I will be in Denver this weekend and can bring them that far, at least.

Jaerhons are an amazing a free-ranging breed as they are smallish, alert and can fly...all qualities that help them elude predators better than the heavier breeds. They lay a nice-sized creamy white egg. And they do really well in our cold winters. I have several breeds, but my NJs are my best overall, year-round layers.

Just picked up chicks and I'm not very pleased.

Elizabeth Country Corner: I was supposed to get 5 cuckoo marans, and Cackle Hatchery shorted them all marans so came away from there with nothing.

Kiowa Country Corner: I was supposed to get 20 black australorp straight runs (because we were planning to butcher all roos for freezer camp) but no... they are all pullets! Hoping they just labeled the box wrong because if none of these are boys, I'm gonna be ticked. Also got 2 white leghorns ... was hoping to get a third but they were sold out. They had extra black sex links so since the Kid begged, I got ONE.

Now I have to research black sex links.

AND ... does ANYONE near here have any marans? Any at all? Chicks? Pullets? Hens? Contact me asap. Otherwise I'll order from mypetchicken.

Thanks.

ETA: Mypetchicken won't have any available until the end of April and McMurray won't have any for much longer after that. Anybody?

Last edited:
I got a dozen cuckoo maran eggs off ebay and they sent 15, I can only fit a dozen under my broody, so you can have the 3 extra if you want them? I will even ship them to you today if you want them, I hate to see them go to waste!

Ideal Poultry lists their Cuckoo Marans as being sold out until June 2011, but if you contact them they often have extras that come up. Most people that have gotten on the waiting list reported getting what they wanted in a few weeks. You could even order S/R and get your freezer birds that way.

If you do order chicks, order as many extras as you can! I will buy a few chicks (especially pullets) and since there seems to be a shortage on them, I imagine you will be able to unload any you don't want on Craigslist and probably double your money!!!
big_smile.png

Well so far Murdochs has been sold out of their Whiting meat birds (within 1 day) and the Fruita co-op completely sold out of all their chicks! I've never seen them do that! I'm going to have to wait until Wed March 30 for the meat birds. Have any of you had any experience with Whiting out of Delta, CO?
I have a feeling that we're all going to see a huge increase in chicken keeping and gardening. I know we are trying some new things this year due to many factors. We're going to do meat birds for the first time, except for the 4 BR turkeys we processed last fall. Even though we've had chickens for 5 years for eggs, we're incubating chick eggs and turkey eggs for the first time.
What are all of you changing or trying new this year?

PS Thank you aussieheeler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom