Colorado

You can hard poach eggs with out the new gadget.. easy no peel eggs
They do look kinda neat, but I'm thinkingit would be just another something to search for in cabinets and have to wash. But I'm a lazy house keeper, less work makes me smile even if it takes just a smidge longer to do things. Also wondering what they are made of? couldn't find out on the web page.

Only problem I would have with the eggies is it would be hard to get a bunch in one pot to boil. If I am making a big batch of potato salad or something I will boil a dozen or more eggs at a time. I am not sure those things would fit in one pot. Also I agree with jdopler on having more to wash and lose!! I am horrible at peeling eggs. I don't do deviled eggs and if I have to I buy store bought eggs because they peel better!!

Hey jdopler I'm there with you on the lazy house keeper
hide.gif

I did think about the amount you could float in the pan but like cacky I buy store bought if I need to make deviled eggs or egg salad for sandwhiches.

I'm so happy for Denver citizens! I watched the vote last night and if anyone is interested, you can watch it on the council website.

About Peter and Tom this morning... I was very disappointed in both of them, especially Tom. He likes to say how he tries to get all the facts and researches both sides of an issue before judging but he sure didn't do that this morning. He, like many other people, has preconceived notions about chickens and I bet he doesn't realize how many other cities in the area allow chickens without any negative consequences. I think Peter was anti-chicken this morning because he is anti-Denver City Council. I wanted to call in and talk about my chickens but I was "too chicken", (plus my girls are undocumented). I think they both look down at chicken keeping and think that Denver is trying to be politically correct and accommodate lower income families by allowing them to raise chickens, ducks, and goats. I, for one, think keeping chickens is not an inexpensive hobby. I love that quote about how the first egg costs $800 but all the rest are free. I have been making chicken tractors and selling on Craigs List so I've met a few people who keep backyard chickens. Our first delivery was to a house in Boulder and I was blown away by how nice of a neighborhood it was in. The house could easily be featured in a Better Homes and Garden magazine. I think fresh eggs will appeal to everyone from every income level but I don't think everyone is going to rush out and buy chickens and goats. And I definitely don't think Denver is becoming a third world country!

Agreed! They probably think people have chickens because they cant afford to buy eggs when exactly the opposite is true. Most of the birds I sell to Denverites are to high income people who spend hundreds on fancy coops and name all their birds. I was shocked by the negative response of Martino and Boyle.
Quote:

With the new law, I'm planning on getting my flock back up to 5 hens. Unfortunately a fox got to all but one of mine about a year back, he made it into their run at sun up and only my buff orp survived. With just one chicken remaining, and knowing that this law was being proposed, I took a let's see what happens approach before taking my lessons learned from the fox carnage and starting over - not wanting to invest additional time and money, with the dark cloud of this legality issue over our heads. Aside from not having to live in fear, the only real impact for me is I can freely spend additional money now making my coop even better without worrying that a particular neighbor is going to destroy my meager plans. I started to go through the formal permitting process a couple years back, and had buy-in from all but one of my neighbors, who made it perfectly clear that they would make sure we did not get a permit. We have an outstanding neighborhood, but there is always that one bad apple, unfortunately this one is cata-corner to our lot, basically one house over from our back yard and can see right into our property. Fortunately for us, nobody ever complained. Our chickens became so popular, my only concern was the positive attention they were bringing was going to end up putting a huge spotlight on us, leading to the chickens having to be disposed of. Now we can live without fear that sustainability is ok in Denver. Ironically, my chicken coop is cleaner and smells better than this particular neighbor does, but alas, there is no statute against his body odor or neanderthal intelligence. Free eggs and pleasant relations wasn't enough to sway these people who didn't even know we had chickens until I started the permitting process. I ended up having to lie about it and told him we already had our permit a few months later, just hoping he wouldn't call the city on us. I think it is critical, especially during these early stages of this new ordinance that all of us in Denver do everything we can to make any potentially negative issues from a neighbors perspective, non-issues. Proving if possible, even to the naysayers that this change in law will not negatively impact anyone. I'll continue to do my part
smile.png
Now for the fun part, deciding which breed(s) to get this time after additionally bullet proofing their home.

~Mark

Back
Top Bottom