Colorado

This is my first winter with chickens and I do worry about them. So far we've only seen low 20's and they haven't even seemed to notice. They weren't fluffed up or slowed down. Egg production has barely been effected.....maybe 1 or 2 eggs less a week (only 2 are laying and we still get a dozen a week). We put a thermometer in the coop that transmits to a receiver in the kitchen so I can keep an eye on how cold they are. Does everyone here use heat? At what temp do you turn it on? My girls are acting pretty cold hardy so I'm thinking I might just need it below zero. We have 4 girls in a small coop (12 sq ft). I am hoping the small space will help hold body heat over night. They free range allllll day and only sleep/lay in the coop. However, is walking in snow bad for their feet? They like to hang out on our deck behind the grape vines so they would have shelter there outside the coop....I am just clueless about how to get them through the brutal winters we can have. Last year we had bitter cold and wind chills and temps that didn't get over -30! How does anything survive in that? I'd bring them in but DH is solidly against it. Of course, he's a total animal lover and if we were very concerned about them, I would win! :p But I don't really want chickens in my house either.....

On another board I got a warning for copying a post and agreeing with it. It suggested someone was lacking intelligence (clearly they were LOL). On that board you would be banned for 3 warnings in 6 months I think. I've only ever had the one warning and I was on that board for 8 years so I figured I didn't need to worry too much. I'm pretty good about holding my tongue.
smile.png

Many peeps will disagree with me, but I'm turning on the heat lamp tomorrow night. The babies are almost 3 months - feathered but still small. My full grown RIR got frostbite on her comb last year and I felt so bad for her. It got better. Anyway, it's going to be 9 degrees here on the Palmer Divide by Wednesday. A heated barn sometimes isn't enough, and my girls are spoiled rotten. On another note, I too got a warning recently. In the not too specific words of a fellow Colorodan, 'some people get offended just cause they can'
tongue2.gif

It does sound like winter is on the way. Dang!

I cleaned the coop yesterday, hopefully the DH will get some hay tomorrow & plastic over the run on Wednesday. Mealworms are started, got a bunch of suet made, wheatgrass is sprouting. No heat for my girls (I don't think), they are all fully feathered big breeds. Eating a lot of high protein foods, gonna keep 'em dry & hope for the best.

I'm sure in the middle of the night, when the wind is howling, I'll be begging to bring them in, but I'm trusting in BYC!

When we were living in the mountains, we had 20 chickens living in the barn with the goats. During the winter, they had their own heat lamps, but spent most of the day out and about pecking at this or that. Most nights they would huddle with each other to keep warm.

Sometimes I don't think we give them enough credit! They can take pretty dang good care of themselves!

Just be sure everything is ready for the cold snap tomorrow! 32 is the high?!?! Clean out the coop, get a de-icer for the water and make sure the chickys have a place to get out of the chilly wind. The icy wind does more damage then just the cold temps.

So glad to find the Colorado thread here - we are new to the board and to owning chickens - friends in Fort Lupton couldn't keep their 24, so we inherited them, coop and all, late this summer. I know...you don't even have to say it - Fort Lupton wouldn't allow chickens!!! We and they were shocked along with everyone else in Colorado we speak to.

We live up, outside of town, Estes Park, back to RMNP. It has been cold at night up here already, but this coming week I'm concerned with the drop. Other than our Leghorns (4) we have all fatter fuller gals which I've read about each breed and they are all fairly cold hearty.

We did get a heat bulb for the light that was given us for the coop, but I wonder if there is more we should do. They are just finishing a molt and some are still missing feathers (or have small ones in).

Our egg production has dropped dramatically, I assume due to the molt and drop in light. We might get 2 a day, but most days it's just one, whereas we typically would get 12-15 a day. I've got a light going to add more day light, we bought a clear heat lamp to help with that - but if we need to turn it on during the cold nights should we have a different one for heat like a red bulb?

We have been using pine bedding, but added straw to warm them up a bit, but they rake it all out of the coop! Funny girls.

Honestly the coop we were given is way to small for 24 hens, so I'm hoping that the smaller quarters will help keep them warmer. They all try to squeeze in nesting boxes (sometimes 3 in a box! although mostly 2) and on the top rung of the roost - they won't go on the other rungs. It's weird.

We hope to build them a larger coop in the Spring, one which is easier to clean up and offers more room since we also hope to add chicks in the Spring - well eggs - speaking of how do I find fertilized eggs to buy? Anyone near enough to us to help us out in that realm when we need it?

Sorry, I'm running on and on here. I've found so much help on this forum for the past few months that I decided to join in, but also have tons of questions regarding our specific area (predators, climate, feed needs etc.) I wish there were separate board sections for each state...this thread is really big! But I'll check and read it over time to get caught up and see if some of my questions are already answered.

Excited to be here. Thanks.

We have lived in Co for quite some time and have raised just about any specie that you can imagine! Winters are a challange but most stock can do well if they have a shelter from wind and drafts. I have bedded the coops deeply in pine shavings. I have found that helps alot. I wouldn't put heat lamps on until the January" Stock Show Weather" arrives. The weather is bound to get way colder than this and you won't be able to supply enough heat to keep them warm if you start now. Just make sure that the girls have plenty of fresh water and free choice food available. Remember that winter heat contributes to resperitory disease.

Question for my fellow Colorado chicken keepers....What's everyone's worming method?

Once/twice a year? Only if you see 'em? Which wormer should we look for? There is a TON of conflicting info (at least it seems conflicting to me). Thought I'd throw it out to you in my area. Whatcha think?

Quote:
I'd like to know as well. Living in the country in Parker has proven difficult in terms of bugs, worms etc. My poor dog has been to the vet way more than before moving out to our current place.

Also-- People in and around Parker-- MURDOCKS is open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went in there yesterday. So I was raised on a farm-- back east, just outside of Hershey PA, but I've lived many places since, mostly in bigger metro areas-- and I cannot tell you how excited I get when I get to go into a farm/country store where you can buy a chain saw, dog food, boots, jeans and a salt lick all in the same place. WOO!

BTW-- originally went to buy a bag of DE... I have four chickens, and the bag was HUGE. I think I'll pass, unless someone is keen on splitting a bag with me.

Back
Top Bottom