Colorado

Shoot, the next one in Denver isn't till July 7--too late for Petruchio. Isn't there a swap or something in Kiowa? That's closer.

I don't think the breeder has had any problems. I emailed him and he said that worst case scenario was 70%.

I'm expecting some silkies in so am concerned that I'm just wasting money now.
I forgot to ask this earlier. What type of incubator are you using? How were the other eggs packed? WE kpet out humidty level between 45 and 65% for the whole 3 weeks. Our hatch rate was apparently pretty successful for shipped Dom eggs, as many of the shipped dominique eggs from beeders are only getting 25-30% hatches.

There's a swap this Saturday (it's in the Arvada (I think) area)...

Hey guys there's going to be a new chicken swap in Denver every third Saturday.
I called and they said anyone who shows up can sell. They plan to do this every month as long as interest holds.
I guess urban farming is a growing business!!

1st Annual Chicken Swap!

Come to the first annual Chicken Swap at Wardle Feed!
When
: Saturday, June 16th from 8AM to 2PM
Where: Fenced field behind Wardle Feed & Pet Supply (7610 W. 42nd Ave.) Go to the feed store and follow the signs!
What: Come buy and sell chickens, ducks, quail, laying hens, goat and more! We have over 20 vendors lined up! Also be sure to stop by Wardle Feed to pick up chicken feed, waterers, shavings, etc.

I'm taking Petruchio, so if any of you all are interested, let me know. He is such a sweetie.

I called them too. The guy who answered was very nice. They're technically in Wheatridge at the SW corner of 42nd and Wadsworth.

Last edited:
Looks good, I'm glad that was enough paint
smile.png

I LOVE this idea! It looks like a little nautical coop. How are they attached? Did you use caulk around the windows to seal them? Mo, another idea I just thought of is old front-loading washer or dryer doors. I'm sure you could find them at a salvage yard (do we have these around here?) or even ask at a appliance repair company if they have any they are tossing. Plexiglass is pretty inexpensive at Michael's if you want to go that route.
I have a question for you folks. I'm working on building the run and I want to bury the hardware cloth to keep out burrowing predators. I dug a trench about 6" deep around the perimeter for it. The ground is hard as a rock so I don't know if I can go much deeper with just a shovel. Is that deep enough? We have a 6' fence around our yard and I haven't seen anything in our neighborhood, but we do have coyotes in the adjacent pasture space a few blocks over. They get real fat on the wild rabbits running around this time of year. I was planning on cementing it in since we still have to cement the posts as well - is that a good idea? My girls need to get in this dang run so we can go camping on weekends, so I'm hoping to get it done soon.
Edit: Also does anyone know where to get granular SweetPDZ around here? I've only ever seen it at the Big R and they only have it in powdered.
i have a small, local feed store near me that sells it.
Its called west side feed and its on hwy 34

The new swap in Wheatridge is at the Wardle Feed Barn on the west side of Wasworth. It's on a little street called 3 Acres Lane or something like that. I stopped by a couple of weeks ago and they had some really nice backyard coops already set up for a heat for winter. Not sure on price. They are a nice group of folks. I remember getting horse feed there 40 years ago with a little friend of mine and we'd ride home on the hay. You know, back in the good ol'days when Wadsworth wasn't a major thouroughfare
roll.png
Anyways, see you there!

Woke up yesterday to our fields covered in a foggy layer of smoke. It was so bad we thought we ours were on fire.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom