Colorado

gardendufus, Babe is beautiful!

I have an 8 week old SLW (Miss Pecky Sue) who looks a lot like Minchi's. I just noticed in the last two days that her comb and face are looking much redder.

And, just mentioning because I'm really excited about it, my Buff Orpington is starting to look so pretty! She was the last one to get her feathers and looked like a mess for several weeks. Mrs. Yellow Pants always looked like she had been in a bar brawl. Now she is fully feathered and they're a really pretty combination of bright yellow and deeper gold. She has never been a big fan of me, but I tossed a grasshopper to her yesterday and now she's warming up.

gardendufus, Babe is beautiful!

I have an 8 week old SLW (Miss Pecky Sue) who looks a lot like Minchi's. I just noticed in the last two days that her comb and face are looking much redder.

And, just mentioning because I'm really excited about it, my Buff Orpington is starting to look so pretty! She was the last one to get her feathers and looked like a mess for several weeks. Mrs. Yellow Pants always looked like she had been in a bar brawl. Now she is fully feathered and they're a really pretty combination of bright yellow and deeper gold. She has never been a big fan of me, but I tossed a grasshopper to her yesterday and now she's warming up.

I was worried for a while about my SLW but then I looked up a lot of pictures and I am now positive she is a she. She is also very shy, and my favorite...now that I have gotten her to stop pecking me. ;)

RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!
STANDING WATER!!!!!!!!!
Thunder and Lightning!!!!!

Chicks are under the shelter looking out trying to figure this stuff out. Too funny.
Ain't it great. Mine were sitting in the little covered alcove they have in the corner of the run, peeking out trying to decide if it was ever gonna be safe to run all the way to the coop. I think they thought I had the hose out again, lol.

It was funny, I walked in to show my chickens to my mother-in-law and I only just noticed...They are huge! When did that happen?
Yep at about that point you find yourself saying.......boy they really look like chickens now.

Hello fellow Colorado chicken lovers. I am new and posted my obligatory Hello just a few moments ago but wanted to be more specific with who I am saying hello to so hopped on here as this thread has been interesting, enlightening and just plain fun to read through.

As I have not started to raise chickens yet, I am looking for ideas and thoughts on this process. We live on 40 acres south of Colorado Springs and plan to go off grid within the next 2 years. This includes raising our own food. Yes, I will be eating some of the chickens I raise but will also be raising layers for eggs and just fun. Does anyone have a good plan for a chicken coop for the layers? We need to start with the building so our little hen house can be ready for it's new homesteaders when we purchase. As we have lots of ground, size is not an obstacle and we plan to have about 12-15 layers.

Seems the Rhode Island Reds are what I am looking at raising as they have many good qualities that work in Colorado from heat to cold resistance. Also, they are a heritage breed and are not so genetically altered to scare me. Do we really eat chickens that grow to full size in less than 12 weeks??? Makes me want to be a vegetarian until we are up and running here on the farm.

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed the rain and am hopeful to get some great ideas.

Hello and welcome...
cool.png

RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!
STANDING WATER!!!!!!!!!
Thunder and Lightning!!!!!

Chicks are under the shelter looking out trying to figure this stuff out. Too funny.

I took my wife fishing last evening. We caught a walleye and a perch, then in came the rain, lightening and thunder. It was a wall, you could watch it as it came in across the lake from the opposite shore. There was NO delay between the flash and the boom when the lightening struck; simply amazing.

Back
Top Bottom