Colorado

I have a pet carrier I can use. Going out to the run in about an hour to get started.  I'll figure it out.  She may not like it, but then again, that may be part of the idea.  I don't think she liked it much yesterday when I gave her a not so gentle lift with my foot when she went after one of the Doms.  And then continued to chase her away from the group every opportunity I got.  Just felt like she deserved a little of her own.

She may have to lay on the floor for awhile, no way I can set things up so she has a nest box..........I don't think..........Hmmmmmm.

Depending on how big she is you could always use a small cardboard box with a hole cut out of the side. If you have some dimensions I could look in the back of the shop at work to see if we have anything that size. Actually I also remember someone saying that their hens prefer an igloo-style cat box (like this one http://www.kittygenius.com/kitty_genius/images/b0002zfopo01a1kv49w6alvud5_pe38_scmzzzzz.jpg ) to lay in. That's what I plan on using if I ever have to quarantine one of my girls.

I have used one of the large wire carriers before for chickens. I will be using it again next Saturday to deliver some pullets to Rock Ledge Ranch, and cockerel #8 to a buyer I am meeting off I-25 near Greenland. I was thinking of adding a piece of carpet or turf in the bottom to make it less slippery. ( I will leave the romovable plastic bottom in to contain mess)

I have used one of the large wire carriers before for chickens. I will be using it again next Saturday to deliver some pullets to Rock Ledge Ranch, and cockerel #8 to a buyer I am meeting off I-25 near Greenland. I was thinking of adding a piece of carpet or turf in the bottom to make it less slippery. ( I will leave the romovable plastic bottom in to contain mess)

If you don't have a piece of carpet or turf an old towel might work too. I use puppy pads in a cat carrier and it works great.

Is there anyone who'd be interested in an 8 month old Cochin rooster? I have 4; a gorgeous two-toned gray, a white one, and two funky-looking frizzles, who had to be thrown in with the pig because of the havoc they caused in the coop. I can't put them in the freezer because there's no meat on them. They're definitely ornamental. They were an error in purchasing. Stupid me for not doing my research. I have options, but I'd rather find them homes since they are pretty birds.

Hatch Day: So far the first out of the shell is the marans ee cross. No sign yet of any pipping going on in the cream legbar eggs. sigh. but the marans cross looks like it's going to be very pretty. :)

Hatch Day:  So far the first out of the shell is the marans ee cross.  No sign yet of any pipping going on in the cream legbar eggs.  sigh.  but the marans cross looks like it's going to be very pretty.   :)

Yaaaay! :jumpy

If you need any help with the new chickies, like cuddling or petting or telling them how cute they are, let me know and I'll be there :yiipchick

Hatch Day: So far the first out of the shell is the marans ee cross. No sign yet of any pipping going on in the cream legbar eggs. sigh. but the marans cross looks like it's going to be very pretty. :)

Woo hoo! Fingers crossed for your cream legbars - was just reading about incubation in the Storey's book, and author mentions that shipped eggs sometimes take a bit longer ...
fl.gif

Yaaaay!
jumpy.gif

If you need any help with the new chickies, like cuddling or petting or telling them how cute they are, let me know and I'll be there
yippiechickie.gif

If anyone would like to come over tomorrow and can or do stuff, I have nothing going on yet. Usually the best time for me is early afternoon. :) I can show everyone my new kombucha scoby... the kefir ones aren't that exciting to look at but the kombucha mother is pretty darn alien looking.

If this hatch goes like all the other ones...the majority of the hatches will occur closer to the end of the 21st day and into the 22nd and that isn't until tonight. Then they get to hang out in there for another 18 hours. Poor guys. The one that just hatched so far has silvery fur. I am assuming that it is the cuckoo marans and not the black marans dad.

Last edited:
If anyone would like to come over tomorrow and can or do stuff, I have nothing going on yet.  Usually the best time for me is early afternoon.  :)   I can show everyone my new kombucha scoby...  the kefir ones aren't that exciting to look at but the kombucha mother is pretty darn alien looking. 

If this hatch goes like all the other ones...the majority of the hatches will occur closer to the end of the 21st day and into the 22nd and that isn't until tonight.  Then they get to hang out in there for another 18 hours.  Poor guys.  The one that just hatched so far has silvery fur.  I am assuming that it is the cuckoo marans and not the black marans dad. 

We are probably going down to the Holy Cross Winery for their harvest festival tomorrow, but if we don't end up going I'll give you a call! The boyfriend thinks canning is voodoo so he probably wouldn't want to come, but then he wouldn't be there to keep me from sneaking home with some chicks either :D

How is the kombucha? I've read about it but never tried any. I just updated the cooking thread too - homemade pasta!

Back
Top Bottom