Colored Brahma roo over light hens?

MrsVicknair

Hatching
Dec 30, 2022
I have a blue splash brahma roo (Blue splash orange?) and a partridge brahma roo. I bought them as straight run last spring. I was hoping one would be a hen and one a roo but I lucked up and got 2 roos. I have several light brahma hens. If I was to cross these boys with a light hen, what type of coloring should I expect of the offspring?

Last edited:
These are the 2 guys. The Blue splash one I am having a difficult time with. One minute it looks like a hen and the next like a roo. They hatched at the end of May.

Attachments

• 20221231_094014.jpg
    20221231_094014.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I tried using the linked calculator but I don't know how to speak anything other than English and don't know about the genotype stuff at all. I'm a simple person that wants to play with colors. Lol.

These are the 2 guys. The Blue splash one I am having a difficult time with. One minute it looks like a hen and the next like a roo. They hatched at the end of May.
The lighter rooster is splash partridge and the darker one is blue partridge. If you cross them to a light Brahma hen, the male offspring will either look a lot like the mothers but with yellow or red leakage, or look a lot like the fathers but with silver feathers instead of gold and a lot of leakage. The female offspring will either look like a messy buff brahma or will be gold with some penciling.

The blue male will produce 50% blue offspring and 50% black offspring. The splash will have 100% blue offspring. (So some of the male offspring could look like leaky blue light Brahmas, for example.)

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm
According to this calculator, [if I'm using it right] the splash laced gold + the light brahma hens = pullets that are blue/black laced red with incomplete lacing and cockerels will be blue/black with incomplete yellow lacing.
the partridge +light brahma will have black birds with yellow incomplete lacing.
The splash rooster isn’t laced

@RoostersAreAwesome

Sorry it won't let me use the reply thing without combining the original post and my response in a jumbled mess.

I was hoping for something to carry over the splash gene as I love splash anything. Lol. I came across a possibility to get some blue partridge chicks. If I were to cross the splash with a blue partridge hen, would thus carry over the same colors and splash gene?

@RoostersAreAwesome

Sorry it won't let me use the reply thing without combining the original post and my response in a jumbled mess.

I was hoping for something to carry over the splash gene as I love splash anything. Lol. I came across a possibility to get some blue partridge chicks. If I were to cross the splash with a blue partridge hen, would thus carry over the same colors and splash gene?
Yes. 50% of the chicks would be splash from a blue x splash crossing. You could also cross him to one of his blue offspring of you decide to breed him to the light Brahma hens.

Also,
blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash (may be lighter than parents though)

Back
Top Bottom